Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul In Dublin?

Options
  • 15-04-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Is there such a thing in Dublin as a club/bar/venue that plays soul music or provides a platform for aspiring musicians in this field???

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Aaahhh. I have been on such a quest before.

I would suggest the Mezz. Bigwig have played there, and they're the funkiest outfit in town. And JJ's Soul Funktion are pretty soul-funky too, and they have played there a lot.
    Maybe the Gaiety as a close second, but I find that funksoul tends to be diluted to the lowest common denominator at times in that place.

If you play good Soul I'm your #1 fan in advance.

Oink wrote:
    Aaahhh. I have been on such a quest before.

Bigwig have played there, and they're the funkiest outfit in town.

If you play good Soul I'm your #1 fan in advance.

If any other band here want to claim that title, I'm only begging to stand corrected . Name your time and place, bring your band, I'll be on the dance floor.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ok so www.santoria.ie
    I propose a funky chicken dance-off :p:p

mmm...You know what, this might actually do it...

I have them in my favourites, will check them the next time they play in town and I'm around.

By the way, I ended up on this site somehow: http://www.dublincitysoulfestival.ie/ , and I nearly cried.

Yeah, I know, I say that a lot, but when someone says Bill Withers, Staples Singers, Sam Cooke and Lou Rawls in the same sentence, it does things to me inside. :D

Oink wrote:
    it does things to me inside. :D
    There's the PI forum for that typa thing! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SouloftheCity

Soul night now running on last Saturday of every month, Doyle's @ Trinity.

See this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53078481#post53078481

Hope to see some of you down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Danny

Hey lads, I`m working in ChoiceCuts music promoters (http://www.choicecutsonline.com)

We brought over Spanki Wilson and Nicole Willis and we`re trying to bring over as many quality soul acts as we can (afford :D ).

Next up is Marva Whitney - James Brown`s Soul Sister No 1 - next Sunday 29th April in the Village - it`s gonna be an amazing gig!

Great to see nights like Soul Of City Dublin springing up, it`d be great to get a decent soul scene going in Dublin.

Anybody need any info about the Marva gig don`t hesitate to give me a shout on dan@choicecutsonline.com.

Cheers,
    Dan ChoiceCuts

Dan. Dig it!

We'll be having our Sunday evening "debrief" at the Marva gig. That's if we're in any fit state to function after Saturday night...

Cheers,
    Keith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Danny

Nice one Keith, I think I`ll be heading down Soul Of The City way on Saturday night for a bit of a boogie! It`s a small soul community out there so I`m definitely on for supporting everyone on the scene!

Cheers,
    Dan

Cool, give us a shout when you're down. Any of the lads on the decks will point me out.

• Advertisement

Danny wrote:
    It`s a small soul community out there so I`m definitely on for supporting everyone on the scene!
    Tis not as small as ye might think, besides if everyone was into it wouldn't that, by simple definition, make it "Pop"??
    God forbid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ross Fitz

People,

there's been a thriving Northern Soul Scene in Dublin for the last 20 years or more. The club currently running is called Sleepless Nights and it just celebrated it's 5th anniversary with a 200+ crowd... check out:

http://sleeplessnightsns.tripod.com/

Also, there's an Irish Soul forum:

http://soulie.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=soulie

I'm personally involved in running the Scribble nights in town and we play soul, funk, disco, nu-soul, latin, broken beat, etc... we sometimes put on bands in Crawdaddy, check out:

www.bodytonicmusic.com/forum

www.myspace.com/scribbleproductions

www.myspace.com/rossfitzscribble

Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blue_man83

If you guys like your female soul singers then you should check out Anne-Marie Redmond with her band Minerva in Radio City on the 18th of May. Mainly soul with some funk and blues. Always a treat to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mivian

Hi,
    I dj at the Gaiety Theatre each and every Saturday night. I play Northern Soul, Motown, Mod...
    Doors Midnight 'til late.
    Admission 15 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kt_hughes

The Bleu Note sometimes has Blues/Soul fusion-type bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ross Fitz

mivian wrote:
    Hi,
    I dj at the Gaiety Theatre each and every Saturday night. I play Northern Soul, Motown, Mod...
    Doors Midnight 'til late.
    Admission 15 euros.

You go girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is there anything like this in Cork? Would love to see it

Advertisement