Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations

• 24-05-2004 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I'd consider myself a bit of a mustard novice. While I have tried a number of varieties I feel my problem is what to have it with.

Can someone please recommend some tasty mustard-food combinations, perhaps that one wouldn't initally think upon as being appetising ? I like to experience interesting combinations of tastes.

All suggestions appreciated...

davej

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There's a tesco finest* "Irish Pork Sausages; Flavoured with Basil and Garlic" that provides a fine flavour along with a bit of mustard. Make sure to let them cool down a bit first though so you can appreciate them with the Mustard properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Will definitely try those sausages out...

I don't want to add more fuel to the whole mustard v custard debacle, but i happened upon this interesting recipe for Deep Dish Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Streusel and Mustard Custard

Also from the site:

Mustard Icecream

davej

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Did you see the mention of the wasabi dessert on the wasabe/wasabi thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mustard and jam on a sausage in a slice of bread/buttery hot toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

SyxPak wrote:

This I have to try!

My own personal favorite is Fried egg two slices Brennans batch loads of butter and completely smother one side with colemans english.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MADPhil

Toast slices of bread on one side under the grill. Remove and spread with mustard on the untoasted side. Cover with cheese slices (the plastic-wrapped ones) and return under grill until cheese turns brown and comes up in a big bubble. Let cool a bit (very important) and consume.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mackerel smothered with whole grain mustard the grilled. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Salad dressing made with 20ml Balsamic vinegar, 80ml olive oil and a tablespoon of Maille grainy mustard, salt, pepper and garlic. Its the only way anyone can get me to eat lettuce...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This needs mustard and is simply delicious with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisbein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ger77

I like Mustard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 raptor twin

Some of the Fine Asian shops in our great city have large bags of tiny black Mustard seeds at exceptionally good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

realcam wrote: »
    This needs mustard and is simply delicious with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisbein

I had this in Berlin a year ago, and honest to god, it was one of the best meals I've ever had in my life! So juicy and delicious :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Hot dogs smothered in colemans english mustard is simply delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Salad Dressing. Yes, salad.
    Get a small cup. Pour in a little olive oil/sunflower oil, barely enough to cover the bottom of cup, then add a generous splash of malt vinegar, add very small pinch of salt, then a generous half/two thirds of a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard (the one from Lidl is surprisingly good), and the same of Colmans mustard. Finally add a level teaspoon of sugar (cane sugar preferred) and stir the sh1t out of the combined lot with a fork. It's good. Not just for salad, try it on a pork chop. Yummyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

You should try mustard eggs! Melt 100g butter and stir in 4 table spoons of flour and make sure it's smooth. Add 400 ml of vegetable stock and keep stirring. Ater that, add 6 (or more^^) table spoons of mustard - if you want to, you can of course also add herbs, bacon, etc. Boil some eggs and enjoy them with this delicious sauce (and potatoes if you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

davej wrote: »
    I'd consider myself a bit of a mustard novice. While I have tried a number of varieties I feel my problem is what to have it with.

Can someone please recommend some tasty mustard-food combinations, perhaps that one wouldn't initally think upon as being appetising ? I like to experience interesting combinations of tastes.

All suggestions appreciated...

davej

I hate that really cheap mustard you get in sandwiches in starbucks, worst stuff ive ever tasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I recommend that mustard is banished to a far away place guarded by mythical creatures because it is vile beyond all reasonable comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Try it with steak, yum yum, had some last night and it was divine! I like the hot english kind. Colemans or lakes shore for favourites. :D

I recommend that mustard is banished to a far away place guarded by mythical creatures because it is vile beyond all reasonable comprehension.

You Sir, are a blaggard, away with you from our Tasty Forum.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

When making shepherd's pie, add a tsp of Colman's English to the meat mix. Really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

If I may make a recommendation? - a long while ago - 1981 or 1982 I think it was, I came over for very nice holiday in Ireland with my girlfriend - it only rained for two days during the five weeks we were travelling about (mainly in the West) in a 2CV - a green 2CV. We brought a few gifts that we thought we could have the pleasure of offering to anyone we found interesting and had good conversation. First were a few bottles of vintage Hautes-Côtes de Beaune and then there was the moutarde, not from Dijon but earthenware pots of the real stuff from Meaux. We found a couple who gave us some of the produce of their walled kitchen garden and they were, I'm glad to say amazed and delighted with what we gave them in return. So in several places we were able to do the same - a bottle of Burgundy went over the counter at Freeney's in Galway, I seem to remember. But the pots of moutarde were something that nobody there had ever seen before, so here they are -
    http://www.moutarde-de-meaux.com/en - and bon appétit
    Franc

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

some recipes of stroganoff has a tablespoon or so of mustard
    goooooood s##t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

This is a typical French recipe (which I'm translating from Marmiton.org) -
    Poulet à la moutarde, à l'estragon et aux champignons.
    Chicken cooked in mustard, tarragon and button mushrooms.

Preparation time - 10 minutes
    Cooking time - 30 minutes

Ingredients for two people -
    Two breasts of chicken (skinned)
    200 grammes of button mushrooms (champignons de Paris) (chopped)
    1 cube of chicken stock dissolved in half a glass of water
    2 teaspoons of mustard (strong mustard if you wish)
    2 teaspoons of fresh single cream
    2 teaspoons of tarragon
    2 teaspoons of olive oil
    2 shalots (chopped)
    salt and pepper

Preparation
    Fry the shalots in the olive oil for about 3 minutes without making them go too brown. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook for a further 10 minutes.
    Fry the chicken breasts in a non-stick pan until golden. Add them to the mushrooms etc
    and cook for 10 minutes.
    Then remove the chicken breasts, add the mustard, the fresh cream and tarragon. Cut the chicken breasts into slices and serve with the mushrooms.
    You can put in more cream and cut the chicken into slices at the beginning, if you wish.
    http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette_poulet-a-la-moutarde-a-l-estragon-et-aux-champignons_19374.aspx

po0k wrote: »

Did you see in the news lately, someone has robbed your idea! should have patented it !

21/25

Advertisement