Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saltee Islands

• 15-04-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi Lads and Lasses,
    I'm dead keen to visit these islands and put my camera gear through it's paces. I know you get a boat from Kilmore Quay but I cant find a number for the guy that does the trips. Does anyone here have it?
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ring the center, the setta maris i think its called or the hotel in the town, they all know each other in that village. even the wooden house pub. someone will hook ya up.

Have been meaning to do that as well for a while. I go to Kilmore on a regular enough basis, I think its nice both in Winter and in Summer.

Can you post up the details, ie cost etc. when you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Declan Bates is the man you are looking for

An Crosan

Skipper: Declan Bates
    Licence: 312 Expires: May 2007
    Address: Kilmore Quay, Co Wexford.
    Telephone: +353 53 9129684 or +353 87 529736

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fair play to ye all lads, I'm hoping to get there sooner rather than later, I'll post up all about it when I get there (and back). Hopefully I'll have a dose of pics to go with it too.

Have been meaning to do that as well for a while. I go to Kilmore on a regular enough basis, I think its nice both in Winter and in Summer.

Can you post up the details, ie cost etc. when you get them?

As jd said Declan Bates is the man to talk to. The cost is €22 for the return trip, and worth every penny I must say. There's nothing on the islands as such so you have to bring everything with you, food, water,sun block, bog roll etc. The only thing to watch out for is rabbit holes, you're bound to go down one or two at least and if you do yourself a mischief you could be waiting a while.

The island is quite small but because there is so much to see there you'll find that the day flies by. I only got to see about a third of it in six hours.

The amount of bird life on the place is stunning! Even if you're not into that kind of thing it's hard not to be impressed. The seals there are also very inquisitive and come quite close to you.

Some pics here.

467422248_2a823a042d.jpg

467437985_57fabb283b.jpg
    468536566_8b8ad2e624.jpg

468530596_16bc97f409.jpg

468534512_f6c16d3297.jpg

468551187_a7a690ec64.jpg

468541300_8f7e6a00ba.jpg

468542624_136e16ab66.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fantastic photos!

Those are very good photos - you have quite talent with a camera!

Next time I'm home, I plan to go there, how long do you get on it?

Boat sails at 10 and 11, then picks you back up at 4 or 5. So about 5-6 altogether. Make sure you get here soon, most of the birds spend their lives at sea and only nest here for a short time so you should try to get here before May is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I go there all summer round, there's plenty of life to found, birds, seals, rabbits, foxes, you see the odd hawk hunting if you're lucky.

Not sure if you're still allowed do it but lots of people camp out there...when the flag is flying at the house people tend to stay away a bit cuz it means the owners are there etc, but it's a fantastic place, make sure to bring a LOT of high spf cuz no matter how well you take to the sun, being up on the island is like standing under a magnifying glass for the day and there's no shade on any part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

http://www.salteeislands.info/index.htm

What's the story with the family, which owns the island, styling themselves as princes? Are they a bit eccentric?

• Advertisement

Thats a bit weird! However, the family keep them open to the public so whats the harm.

Will be home for a couple of week after my exams and will hopefully go on a trip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I like their style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Different people own each island the small is however very difficult to land on, and one of the families is actually part of royalty, I know them, can't member which one though, I'll find out...

They're open to the public alright but when the flag is flying it was common curtosy (sp) not to land due to the fact of it being a small area and their owning it, and the main path up onto the island used to run right by their kitchen window, through their back garden...

Advertisement