Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG 'Banned' Episode To Be Shown

• 17-04-2007 7:18am

Fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation may not be aware that a third season episode of the hit series, has never been shown on terrestrial television, and until May 2006, airings on Sky One were edited.

The episode was never shown as a scene from the episode, in which Picard (Patrick Stewart) is talking to Data (Brent Spiner), when Data mentions how terrorism has worked over the centuries, he mentions the reunification of Ireland in 2024.

In the episode 'The High Ground', Dr Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden), while helping the wounded victims of a terrorist attack on "a non-aligned planet" is taken hostage.

Now this year's 'Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival' in Belfast is to show the episode in full - a first for most fans who attend the screening. Sean Kelly, director of the Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival, hopes its screening will attract "die hard Trekkies, and people of every political persuasion and none ... It's hard to believe that but both the BBC and RTE refused to show it and it still hasn't been shown on terrestrial TV in the UK or Ireland."

If you wish to attend the screening of the episode:

Venue: The Black Box Café, Hill Street, Belfast.
    Date: Monday 7th May
    Time: 20.00

Tickets are free and can be reserved online (Click on the Book Tickets link near the top of the page) or phone the box office on 028 90 246 609.

Source: UFPst.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im pritty sure i seen an unedited version of that on sky one not long ago at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've seen that episode on terrestrial TV a couple of times.

Kewl....only 17 years to go then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I had thought that that the line in the episode which refered to reunification was modified to just not include the line. /shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Dataisgod wrote:
    I had thought that that the line in the episode which refered to reunification was modified to just not include the line. /shrug

It was never show on the terrestrial (aka bbc, rte not having the rights to show)... it was always editied on sky...

Data's still around 0o

(play eve online)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

bizmark wrote:
    im pritty sure i seen an unedited version of that on sky one not long ago at all

So I am, maybe no more than 2 months ago :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep it was on about 2 weeks ago - unedited - on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They used to show that episode years ago. It was always preceded by "And now, we're going to shown a rarely-aired episode". I'm pretty sure one of the showings had Data's comment about Irish reunification too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw this yearts ago, as a child. Even remembered the date.

Its not a bad episode hardly worth being banned for 1 trow away line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

The High Ground is a very good episode. And I was very surprised as a kid to learn of the controversy considering that it is a very off hand remark by Data.

Not sure if it is a really big deal whether or not it is shown considering I have seen it numerous times. Have no idea whether it was actually shown on either RTE or BBC recent. Certainly not RTE, but with the amount of times the BBC and Sky have show Star Trek: The Next Generation, I would not be surprised if this special showing was not slighty out of date.

I do recall, when I originally watched the episode feeling slightly jarred by it. I'm used to Star Trek being preachy, but the remark hit way too close to home. I was a little pissed that some American who probably read an article in TIME magazine had formed an opinion on something that was deeply divisive to two cultures.

Looking at it now, it barely registers, but it overwhelmed the episode for me when I watched a long time as I sat waiting for it. Now, I like to see the episode as more interesting in the light of 9/11. Perhaps it is more relevant to an American audience than it is to an Irish and British audience today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Mediocre ep IMHO. Was it ever really "banned" anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Ive seen this episode and that line from US tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

jhegarty wrote:
    It was never show on the terrestrial (aka bbc, rte not having the rights to show)... it was always editied on sky...
    Ive seen it on sky unedited, and remember talking about it on two seperate occasions in the pub with diff people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Was on Channel 6 about a month ago (at 7am). I recorded the latter half of it (cos I woke up at 7:20!) , which included Data's remark about the reunification of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've seen it too. Years ago - on Sky. I remember it because I was so suprised at the line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yep, remember seeing this episode and that line in it a good few years ago. Something like "continuied terrorist acts by the IRA let to the Irish Renunifcation in 2024", then Picard says "yes, I'm familiar with [terroist sucesses]" or something to that effect.

Not a very sucessful banning so...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Data failed to mention the EU superstate making the success redundant ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I remember reading about that line being removed years ago, didn't realise the whole episode was "banned" though. Excellent episode imo, I particularly like some of the dialogue between Crusher and Finn, here's an excerpt from the script:
    BEVERLY
    How can you have such a casual
    attitude toward killing?

FINN
    (without humor)
    I take my killing very seriously,
    Doctor.

She shakes her head, unable to understand this man.

FINN
    (shrugs her off)
    You are an idealist...

BEVERLY
    I live in an ideal culture...
    there is no need for your kind
    of violence... we've proven that.

He looks at her, grunts.

FINN
    Your origins on Earth are from
    the American continent, are they
    not?

BEVERLY
    North America.

FINN
    I have read your history books.
    This is a war for independence.
    I am no different than your own
    George Washington...

BEVERLY
    Washington was a military general.
    He was not a terrorist.

FINN
    Doctor, the difference between
    a general and terrorist is only
    the difference between winners
    and losers. You win, you're
    called a general. You lose...

BEVERLY
    You are killing innocent people...
    Can't you see the immorality of
    what you're doing... or have you
    killed so often, you've become
    blind to it?

Finn looks at her, shakes his head at her naivete.

FINN
    How much innocent blood has been
    spilled for the cause of freedom
    in the history of your Federation,
    Doctor? How many good and noble
    societies have bombed civilians
    in war? Wiped out whole cities.
    And now that you enjoy the comfort
    that has come from their battles,
    their killing... you frown on my
    immorality... ? Doctor, I am
    willing to die for my freedom.
    And, in the finest tradition of
    your own great civilization, I'm
    willing to kill for it too.

Great writing imo. TNG in it's prime :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Great writing imo. TNG in it's prime :)

Exactly. It was a philosophy show, with some Sci-Fi. Not the other way 'round. Something which the Voyager and Enterprise series' lacked. DS9 was decent enough at it, and TOS too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yes it was on Sky unedited for years. I would always laugh at that line with my bro. It could happen though. It would not be the result of a terrorist campaign though. Lets all get involved in politics and bring about a re-unification referendum north and south of the border for 2024.lol.

Advertisement