Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Restaurant??

• 29-01-2004 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Hey Guys

Was just wondering if you had a favourite restaurant in the South East??

Name and why you like it please :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

La Palma
    Waterford
    Italian restaurant, good selection of food and wines
    Fairly reasonable price

Tuk Tuk Thai
    Waterford
    Thai restaurant, lovely food, friendly staff and reasonably priced.

Coast
    Tramore Co. Waterford
    Exclusive restaurant. Excellent food, can be pricey compared
    to other restaurants but well worth it.

The Wine Vault
    Waterford
    Very nice restaurant, small and cosy, food is good
    Unless your a regular its hard to get decent seat as you
    can be left at a table in the middle of the floor which can get
    drafty in winter.

Chez K's
    Waterford
    Great steak and seafood restaurant
    Can get very busy and hard to get a table there

McAlpins Bar
    Cheekpoint Co. Waterford
    Small cosy bar with great seafood dishes. Can be a bit of a
    squeeze but if you like ur seafood, its worth it

Brasserie
    Waterford
    Cheap and cheerful, nice menu both for lunch and dinner and
    is ideal for a cheap bite to eat before going for a few drinks

Hartleys
    Tramore Co.Waterford
    Small, nice and cosy restaurant. Food is very good and friendly
    staff too..

Pine Rooms
    Tramore Co. Waterford
    Nice restaurant, consistantly good food and service

Thats about it..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Thanks Toxic, you named quiet a few!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

McAlpins Bar gets my vote, cheap and really really really nice food. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

No probs..

Im kinda limited as in Ive not eaten much outside of Waterford, so I wouldnt know
    a lot about KK, Tipp, Wexford or even west Waterford..

But im sure you know the good ones in your area Miss Wex..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    La Palma
    Waterford
    Italian restaurant, good selection of food and wines
    Fairly reasonable price

Tuk Tuk Thai
    Waterford
    Thai restaurant, lovely food, friendly staff and reasonably priced.

Coast
    Tramore Co. Waterford
    Exclusive restaurant. Excellent food, can be pricey compared
    to other restaurants but well worth it.

The Wine Vault
    Waterford
    Very nice restaurant, small and cosy, food is good
    Unless your a regular its hard to get decent seat as you
    can be left at a table in the middle of the floor which can get
    drafty in winter.

Chez K's
    Waterford
    Great steak and seafood restaurant
    Can get very busy and hard to get a table there

McAlpins Bar
    Cheekpoint Co. Waterford
    Small cosy bar with great seafood dishes. Can be a bit of a
    squeeze but if you like ur seafood, its worth it

Brasserie
    Waterford
    Cheap and cheerful, nice menu both for lunch and dinner and
    is ideal for a cheap bite to eat before going for a few drinks

Hartleys
    Tramore Co.Waterford
    Small, nice and cosy restaurant. Food is very good and friendly
    staff too..

Pine Rooms
    Tramore Co. Waterford
    Nice restaurant, consistantly good food and service

Thats about it..

Tox

what he said. hartleys aint no more though it closed down a good while ago. La palma is definately THE best restaurant imo. its expensive though. anything up to 11euro for a starter. Asila in tramore is also v good.
    Johnny fan's in the city is pretty decent chinese. ive heard jade palace is better though, havent been in there yet.

• Advertisement

Has Hartleys closed???? Jeez, i never even noticed.. DOH!! :D

Ive heard the Jade Palace is good alright, but didnt want to say anything about a
    place Ive never eaten in..

Where is Johnny Fans place?

There is also a small place over beside Cherry's Brewery and its supposed to be
    real exclusive and very good.. a converted town house.. anyone ever heard of this
    one?

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

johnny fan's is at the back of city square past the entrance to the car park i think flash's is down there i could be wrong though. expensive but nice.
    tara in tramore, v nice indian. beside paddy powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tuk Tuk Thai!

Nicest restaurant ever! Nice food, nice price, pleasant atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Hey Miss Wex,how about a tour and review?
    Get a board member here and you to go to a diff rest every week.
    write up a review and let the flaming begin!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Yea I'd have to go with either Tuk Tuk Thai resteraunt

V nice food, reasonable prices and tiger beer :D

or

the Esquire resteraunt in tramore is the nicest place ive ever eaten my family and i go there whenever there's a big thing to celebrate, the garlic potatoe skins there are to die for really for them alone this resteraunt tops my list.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ur mentor
    Hey Miss Wex,how about a tour and review?
    Get a board member here and you to go to a diff rest every week.
    write up a review and let the flaming begin!:D

Hmmm sounds interesting...

Wud boards.ie be willing to fund the said reviewing off restaurants?

If so, then count me in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pointer.

One of the best restaurants in Waterford situated in the village of Cheekpoint, great value for money extensive wine .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

In Waterford, l'Atmosphere on Henrietta St (French bistro) is really good in my view. Their early bird menu for €20 is unbeatable.

Tuk Tuk Thai is great, and I've also really enjoyed Poppy's on the Park Road.

The Bay Café in Dunmore East is only that - a café, but it does the best seafood chowder I've ever had. Admittedly I haven't been to New England...

In Kilkenny, I've been to Rinuccini's, and it was really nice. A mate of mine recommends Zuni and says that the River Court has some of the best food he's ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Chez Hans - Cashel Co. Tipperary

This is probably the best restaurant in the South East if ya ask me. Good quality food, served very professional, in a nice atmosphere,.... though at top prices, the food is fabulous and well worth every penny.

In fact some years back it was voted among the top ten restaurants in Ireland... so you can't beat that!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The Jasmine (Chinese) and Italian Connection (Italian) both in Carlow town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Unfortunately they never came back to us on our restaurant review road trip but one is always hopefuly :)

The Lobster Pot in Wexford is so fantastic for fish dishes - really lovely extensive menu and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I haven't been to either, but Tom Doorley in the Times regularly mentions the Tannery in Dungarvan as being one of the country's top restaurants, and La Dolce Vita in Wexford as being the most authentic Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 groveman60

Looks like we made a big mistake choosing the Brandon House Hotel, New Ross for a meal out in October. Tired food, microwaved. Very little of it. So few vegetables with the main course it looked like a starter. Don't expect a mint with your coffee there!. Check your bill. We had a surcharge for a cut of fillet beef we didn't have. Indeed, fillet beef wasn't on the menu!. No apology or convinving explanation. The word scam comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Yes indeed, The Tannery in Dungarvan, waterford is indeed a fabulous restaurant, though it was a few years ago now since I was last there. Though I'm sure its still as good as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think the Pine Rooms in Tramore closed down a while back.

Paddy Gonzalez High St. Waterford opened recently. The portions are very large, we couldn't finish our main courses and the one time I was there with a group everyone was delighted with their food. We were a group of 6 and had 2 large started between us, main course, had no room for dessert, 2 bottles of wine, 2 pints, mineral water and it only cost €25 each.

Savannah on Mary Street, where Martin Dwyer, the Brassaire Orange were, good steaks

Fitzpatrick's on the Cork Road, Waterford they also do value meals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Lasrada in Carlow is a favourite of mine. Very nice decor/atmosphere and the food to match.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Emiliano's in High Street in Waterford is also a fantastic place. Imo, its far superior to La Palma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Aquos76 wrote:
    Emiliano's in High Street in Waterford is also a fantastic place. Imo, its far superior to La Palma

Agree. I don't like anything about La Palma. Much prefer Emiliano's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Jade Palace in Waterford was nice enough when I ate there. Staff were nice, as was the decor.

La Napoletana (sp?) on Tullow Street here in Carlow's nice enough, again it's Italian. Lotus is great too if you're looking for Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Atmosphere in Henrietta Street, Waterford is a nice little French restaurant, reasonable priced and good food. The decor could be improved, but better poor decor and good food than vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 william dolan

if you are ever in shillelagh try the park view the food and staff are first class every time i go on holiday its the place i like to eat and drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

the mezz bar in Gorey is good pub grub, Nothing too fancy and not that well known, They do a gorgeous cajun burger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

Waterford
    The Tannery - Was there just before Christmas and the food was lovely and very well presented. Service was good from staff, although Mrs. F seemed more concerned with the diners who were staying at the B&B which was a bit offputting.

Clonmel
    Beffanis
    Any time I've eaten here I've enjoyed it. Lovely pasta dishes, good wine, and I had a lovely rare steak there one night much to the disgust of my husband who likes his cremated.

The Emerald Garden
    Good chinese food and good atmosphere. Can nearly always accommodate without a booking.

Mr. Bumbles
    It's about a year since I've been there but the food was good and so was the service. The only reason I've left it so long to go back is because any time I've thought of going I've phoned to book and it's been booked out, so if you're thinking of going - book early!

Ming's Court
    Relatively new Chinese that's moved into the building Cliffords used to be in. Have only been there once but found it quite pleasant. They serve a nicer curry than TEG, but I prefer the ambiance of TEG.

Galileo
    Dreadful, absolutely dreadful. I've been there 3 times now and that's enough opportunity for them to show a good side if they had one. Their lasagne is meatless, the service is absolutely appalling. They serve a nice chicken sandwich if you can get served. And it's not the place to go if you're claustrophobic.

Indian Ocean
    In general the food is quite good, but the creamier dishes (Pasanda, Korma) could be.......creamier. Maybe I was spoilt by a certain Indian in Edenderry (Indian Bistro) which I firmly believe to be the best Indian I've ever eaten in - their creamy dishes were fab! The Indian Ocean is cramped, gets a little warm, but I've always found the service to be good and the staff pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Jade Palace in Waterford was nice enough when I ate there. Staff were nice, as was the decor.

Staff might be nice upstairs but the same can't be said about the ignorant bar man downstairs. Nobody I know has a good word to say about him.

• Advertisement

Is Forde's (Wexford town) any good?

Also have been hearing good things about Mickey Wallace's new Italian in Enniscorthy..

Need to get someone a gift and was thinking a voucher..

Advertisement