Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising in Sigs. READ OR GET BANNED.

• 16-03-2007 4:56pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One link. (this obviously only applies to commerical sites not to people who want to link blogs, put in quotes etc. This applies to site advertsing.)

Thats it, no images, no colours, no over sized text, no bold, no italics, no marketing spiel.

You can have one link and it must contain the text of the link its going to bring you to. For example: if you link is going to bring the user to www.irishpokermadhouse.com then the text must be that URL. It may not be "Click here for the biggest freeroll ever!!"
    Nor can it be "CLICK HERE FOR RAKEBACK!!!"

If you want to advertise a commerical venture, our banner ads can be targetted at the poker forum specifically. They are very reasonable. If you arent willing to support us, I dont see why we should support you.

Sorry to be blunt but frankly a few people have been taking the absolute mick.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

better sort out your sig so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

he's not advertising a service or product that will profit himself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Sparky1808

Ahh not that it affects me, but is it in regards to advertising only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

no italics
    Time for a new sig then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

DeVore wrote:
    One link.

Thats it, no images, no colours, no over sized text, no bold, no italics, no marketing spiel.

You can have one link and it must contain the text of the link its going to bring you to. For example: if you link is going to bring the user to www.irishpokermadhouse.com then the text must be that URL. It may not be "Click here for the biggest freeroll ever!!"
    Nor can it be "CLICK HERE FOR RAKEBACK!!!"

If you want to advertise a commerical venture, our banner ads can be targetted at the poker forum specifically. They are very reasonable. If you arent willing to support us, I dont see why we should support you.

Sorry to be blunt but frankly a few people have been taking the absolute mick.

DeV.

your sig

Boards.ie - NOW Y`ER TALKING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I take it this only applys to commercial advertising like tourney organisers and online poker shops and not blogs or youtube links or stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

lafortezza wrote:
    I take it this only applys to commercial advertising like tourney organisers and online poker shops and not blogs or youtube links or stuff?
    I'd say so. Boards is one of the most viewed sites in Ireland and the poker forum is top 5 on Boards so the commercial value is huge. People that make money from the people frequenting boards are getting free advertising. For nothing. The companies in other fora have to pay. It also pays for the sites up keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I never made a penny from my sig anyway so no loss here but it would be nice if greenjokerpoker would make it a bit easier for people to be able to tell what my sig is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JP Poker

Tom,

Just sent you a PM

bohsman wrote:
    I never made a penny from my sig anyway so no loss here but it would be nice if greenjokerpoker would make it a bit easier for people to be able to tell what my sig is for.
    can it not read

www.greenjokerpokerforoscar.com?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry, some clarifications:

1. This applies only to commerical advertisements in sigs. Youtube links, blogs, favourite sites etc are all covered by the general sig rules available at:
    www.boards.ie/sigrules

2. In terms of explaining the link, I accept that some are not as obvious so as a compromise this is the format we'll accept:

http://raf.pokerredirect.net/raf/affiliateDownload.do?referralCode=1895 | Check this out for best Rakeback deals!

All on one line, no wrapping around, no formatting (ie: colours, size, font etc).

I'm writing this with my Boards.ie Admin hat on, nothing to do with Antesup or GJP. I wouldnt be writing this at all if a couple of people hadnt blatantly taken the f*ckin mick and simply pushed and pushed until I've gotten annoyed with the whole thing. I think we have been incredibly supportive of the special relationship between promoters and players with the provision of the Events forum and turned a blind eye to advertising in sigs until is has been abused to the point that I feel we're being taken advantage of.

Anyway, these are the new rules and from Sunday bans will be brought to bear for non-compliance.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Is my sig ok. It brings you to my column but it is for PPP so not sure if it ofends or not. Obviously the pic is deeply offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

DeVore wrote:
    provision of the Events forum

volumEs. lol

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Eh??

Also, please note mobile phone numbers, emails etc are not allowed either.
    You get to put your website link there and an explanation of what it is on one line. Thats it.

Thanks,

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I think its very unfair though that everyone who doesn't read this thread is gona get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PokerChild

NickyOD wrote:
    I think its very unfair though that everyone who doesn't read this thread is gona get banned.

Make it a sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

PokerChild wrote:
    Make it a sticky?

lol! I was referring to the "READ OR GET BANNED" part of the title.

Lol.... obviously I will be reasonable with bans, I'll draw attention to this post before any serious action. I expect a week from now there wont be any infractions but anyone who replaces their sigs with an advert after its been edited or altered by them will just get banned outright.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

NeVeR wrote:
    he's not advertising a service or product that will profit himself!!!
    of course he is, he owns www.antesup.com where his blog is hosted, and uses that site to promote GJP. I've no problem with Tom saying "I own this site I can do what I want" but at least it should be clear to everyone that he is using his sig to advertise a commercial venture, in a different way from what is allowed in this thread.

edit: added the text after the last comma.

Just as other people are Dave, thanks for pointing that out.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

.... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Could you link to a blog which sort of, indirectly, advertises to a poker site?

You can link *directly* to a poker site if you like, one which is filled full of ads!

You dont need to be circumspect about it. All I'm saying is you can't have a big advertisement as your sig.

sheeesh!

One link, one line.... the rest must be non-commerical. This isnt that hard to grasp, people! :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Ive just seen the one that must have put you over the edge....Its fcuking massive (over in the Boardsie IO online sat thread). Thats obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

BigDragon wrote:
    Ive just seen the one that must have put you over the edge....Its fcuking massive (over in the Boardsie IO online sat thread). Thats obscene.

I was thinking a different one had set him off, but i just saw the one in that thread :eek: ridiculous.

turn off sigs?? and ya the 4of a kind one is an lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

turn off sigs?? and ya the 4of a kind one is an lol!
    how do you turn ON sigs!!!? i cant see them unless i "view public profile"

Its an option in your control panel.
    BigD I havent seen the one you are referring to. There were two that set me off one was a 15 line tournament schedule and marketing spiel ad that was simply taking the proverbials. I dont mind something like PPP's sig there, thats alright, normally we wouldnt really allow it but we are lax about the poker forum because of the special relationship between players and promoters but a few people just had to take take take and I had enough of it basically.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

DeVore wrote:
    Its an option in your control panel.

Care to expand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement