Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ian Curtis

• 07-01-2007 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Ian Curtis is quality, great singer, great songwriter, great looking, pity he's gone, is missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Ian Curtis is quality, great singer, great songwriter, great looking, pity he's gone, is missed.
    In his personal life he was an asshole but some of that at least can be attributed to his depression and the barbituates. 25 years on and the Joy Division sound is still everywhere from bands like Editors, Director and most obviously Interpol - not many bands can claim that. He is a legend. Transmission is one of the best songs to dance to ever but Atmosphere is my favourite song by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Ah yes Transmission is brilliant, I love disorder and she's lost control. No love lost and day of the lords are brill too. Actually, I love most of their stuff. I don't really care what Ian Curtis did in his personal life, he was a great performer and he wrote great songs, that's all that really matters too me anyway.

I don't really care what Ian Curtis did in his personal life, he was a great performer and he wrote great songs, that's all that really matters too me anyway.
    Hey I love em anyway hence the username:D

Ha, I gathered that! Yea he's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BackwardRussia

I'm a big fan of Joy Division and New Order,

Love will tear us apart is probably my favourite JD song and then maybe shadowplay.

Love will tear us apart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkI9sMTlLDI
    Shadowplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o8noZIfO1M

I love some songs from the last album before he killed himself, its so dark with songs like 24 hours and eternal. Jdivison thats very true about the editors singer, hes almost like a reincarnation of curtis they sound so alike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Definatly a Legend

Yeah the bloke from the Editors is quite like him alright, I don't know Director. His lyrics are brilliant, yea they are dark, but I find their songs uplifting, they don't make me sad at all.

His lyrics are brilliant, yea they are dark, but I find their songs uplifting, they don't make me sad at all.
    I agree, while some of their songs are sad and atmospheric I listen to the music becuase it's uplifting.
    As for director they're heavily influenced but not copycat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIJyRW6-3sc

Ah yea I listened to the song on your link thing, yea they are quite joy division-y, they're good. Where are they from do you know? I'm listening to Disorder a lot the past week, its such a good song, full of energy. I was asking in the music forum did anybody know anything about a jd tribute band that play in Dublin sometimes, I haven't seen them in ages and would love to go and see them. People were saying that they only play the very odd time, do you know anything about them by any chance or even if there's another jd tribute band around that are any good?

sorry, haven't been to see them although have seen the posters the odd time. Only ever been to New Order to hear them play Joy Division songs and it's not the same with Barney Sumner singing. Director are Irish and from Dublin afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Joy Division are my favourite band.

Yea I can't imagine New Order being able to pull off j.d. stuff, even though essentially they are j.d., they are just missing probably the most important part of what was j.d., although they were all important. What was interesting about j.d. was that the bass line played the main melody and the guitar kind of just ran over it, adding things here and there-worked brill! But I like New Order too, love blue monday of course! It's great the way the rest of the band didn't just stop playing music when Ian died, it must have been really hard for them to go on, especially since Ian wrote the songs and was the front man, I really admire them for it. And they completely changed their sound which was a brave thing to do, I'd say some people were'nt mad about New Order at all after being j.d. fans, so different, but good.

Advertisement