Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does 'syslogd -R 255.255.255.255' do?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm trying to find the syslog on my router that runs embedded linux using BusyBox v1.00-pre2 (2005.11.11-01:19+0000) Built-in shell (msh).

logread does output the log. But I can't figure out how to access it directly or add messages to it?

ps shows...
    syslogd -R 255.255.255.255

Let me know if I need to post more info to explain!

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You're looking for the log file(s) or the syslog config file?

The syslog config file is, I read, in /etc/sysconfig/syslogd.conf, in busybox. Within this you'll find to which log files the various messages are sent.

You mention adding entries to the log. By what means do you plan to do this. Doesn't sound like you're planning to use the system logging library.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

ressem wrote:
    You're looking for the log file(s) or the syslog config file?

Which ever log 'logread' refers to...
    ressem wrote:
    The syslog config file is, I read, in /etc/sysconfig/syslogd.conf, in busybox. Within this you'll find to which log files the various messages are sent.

Sysconfig directory doesn't exist.:(
    ressem wrote:
    You mention adding entries to the log. By what means do you plan to do this. Doesn't sound like you're planning to use the system logging library.

I was hoping to put something like: echo "Hello world" >> log

Any ideas?

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The -R option is not documented in the syslogd man page I have here but my wireless router is configured to forward syslog messages to a remote server and the process list contains /sbin/syslogd -R 192.168.1.6. Therefore, I'd guess your syslogd is configured to forward messages to the broadcast address 255.255.255.255.

Before I enabled remote logging, messages were logged to /var/log/messages
    As ressem points out, the syslog config file determines where various types of messages are sent.

To add your own syslog entries, you can write some RFC3164-compliant code to talk to UDP port 514 or use the logger utility which is likely already on your router (its on mine).
    BusyBox v1.00 (2005.04.21-17:30+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: logger [OPTION]... [MESSAGE]

Write MESSAGE to the system log.  If MESSAGE is omitted, log stdin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Router: echo "Hello world" | logger -p local0.notice
    Remote log: Jan 14 00:43:43 linksys root: Hello world

http://www.brno.cas.cz/cgi-bin/bsdi-man?proto=1.1&query=logger&msection=1&apropos=0

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Snowbat wrote:
    Router: echo "Hello world" | logger -p local0.notice
    Remote log: Jan 14 00:43:43 linksys root: Hello world

http://www.brno.cas.cz/cgi-bin/bsdi-man?proto=1.1&query=logger&msection=1&apropos=0

That worked perfectly, thank you!!!!!!!:D :D:D:D:D:D

LK

• Advertisement
Advertisement