Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek to get "Clone Wars"-esque animated series?

Options
  • 15-12-2006 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Star Trek may be set for a comeback into yet another arena, this time in the 2nd dimension. TrekMovie.com has learned that there is a new animated Trek project under consideration at CBS, but it has yet to get the green light.
    The idea for a new animated Trek started back around the time that Star Trek Enterprise was cancelled. Rossi and his partners didn’t buy into the notion that Star Trek ‘needed a rest’. "We wanted to spark a little life into Star Trek and to keep it alive in people’s eyes," explains Rossi. They knew CBS and Paramount weren’t going to be keen on a new (and very expensive) live action show so they decided that animation was the way to go. Their first notion was to do a show set in the Original Series era (but not on the Enterprise), however that notion didn’t sit well with the people at CBS. Rossi then took the advice he got from LeVar Burton on how ‘Star Trek should always be about moving forward and what is next in the human adventure.’ So the team came up with the notion of taking a big leap forward and setting a show 150 years after the time of Picard and Star Trek Nemesis, but in a very different and somewhat dark Trek universe. CBS were more open to that idea and over the last year and a half have asked the team (now formed into Zero Room Productions) to flesh out their idea. Although CBS have not committed to the series, they have asked the team to develop test artwork and scripts for 5 mini episodes.
    http://trekmovie.com/2006/12/13/cbs-considering-new-animated-trek-series

This could work well. Doing these little webisodes is something that has been proven to work in other franchises, such as the Star Wars Clone Wars, and Doctor Who's Scream of the Shalka.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

dammit not what i wanted TBH, i like the idea of it being dark but i did not want animation unless the dialog is amazing which i doubt it will be but i do like the dark idea....
    lets just hope its not like "The animated series"
    i also wanted it right after Nemesis/Ds9 not 150 years but it will be interesting for a someone other than paramount to make star trek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, as far as I can see, the most logic for setting it so far in the future is that should it flop they can write it off as not being canon without effecting the current, television\movie plotlines in anyway. And if its a success, they pretty much have a whole new universe to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

somewhat dark Trek universe.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If they get Genndy Tartakovsky onboard it will be excellent. Personally I was losing faith in the Star Wars genre until I watched both of the clone wars series back to back.

I liked the whole "a day in the life of..." feel of it, following different groups and their actions during the clone wars. Some of the episodes didn't have one word of dialogue uttered, and they worked so perfectly. If they could do the same with Star Trek it would make for a great build up to launch a new full blown series from. They could follow a commando like team of federation soldiers on a espionage mission, show a day in the life of a captain where he has to make a life for a life decision, they could show a day in the life of the borg... all animated with Genndy's unique atmospheric style...

Have they decided on a lead animator yet?

Advertisement