Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New "silver" Netopia

Options
  • 19-10-2006 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Have anyone used these yet? (sorry, I cant remember the model number). Ive seen them in 2 sites, both giving problems. The broadband goes down for no reason. The only way to get it back is to restart the router.

Eircom, bring back the old blue ones!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Came accross them a good few times and they are problematic. They overheat and stop working until allowed to cool. Eircom know about the 'issue' (as they call it). Get onto them for replacements.

Edit: It's the Netopia 2247NWG-VGx.
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Friend of mine has one of these so the potential problems interest me:) What do they replace it with do you know by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    Friend of mine has one of these so the potential problems interest me:) What do they replace it with do you know by any chance?
    They replace them with the same thing but the don't say if it's still a potential problem with the replacement so it could be just hit 'n' miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

kaizersoze wrote:
    They replace them with the same thing but the don't say if it's still a potential problem with the replacement so it could be just hit 'n' miss.

The replacements dont work either. The do "find" the odd old blue one which does work though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Just to give this a little bit of a bump.

I'm getting the problem as well. I've also paid for a static ip address and the fact that every other day i can't remote connect into my system is starting to get onto my nerves.

If it is over heating then there is a pretty bad design flaw. I don't put the heating on during the day (noone home) so the house should be cold enough to keep the router from over heating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

If you grill Eircom about it, they will admit they are having problems with them and will send you one of the old blue ones, though I'm sure they will run out of them eventually!

J

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would they be Ok on a timer switch - ie. off most of the day / night ?

or do they need cooling and to be kept away from radiators n' stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would they be Ok on a timer switch - ie. off most of the day / night ?

or do they need cooling and to be kept away from radiators n' stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I've moved the router onto the tiles which are usually cold and now it hasn't locked up in a few days, maybe a week now. Seems it was temperature related alright.

Advertisement