Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamwave

Options
  • 26-09-2006 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Dreamwave comics. What a train-wreck.

GOOD STUFF:

Don Figueroa
    Simon Furman
    Guido Guidi

BAD STUFF:

"Brad Mick" James McDonough
    Adam Patyk
    Chris Sarracini
    Rob Ruffalo
    Pat Lee

UGLY STUFF:
    Pat Lee and Roger Lee ripping off their writers/artists/colourists and running for cover when the sh1t hit the fan. Two damn crooks!

Apart from The War Within, the writing on the G1 Dreamwave titles was abominable. Chock-a-block full of woeful unimaginative cartoon/movie rip-off "homage" scenes, dumb subplots that led absolutely nowhere, robots doing stupid looking pro-wrestling moves, Transformers dying for no apparent good reason, others changing allegiances for no apparent good reason, characters portrayed as either slow-witted or as cardboard cliches from their short toy profile blurbs, rushed storyline endings that were basically awkward and pathetic deus ex machina conclusions, and the wasting of several issues on a boringly long drawn-out fight between a god-bothered seeker clone and the Autobots. 'Brad Mick' and Chris Sarracini were truly the pits. Dreamwave's G1 stuff was rotten GARBAGE.

Pat Lee's art (and his insistance on a Pat Lee 'Dreamwave House Style') was equally dreadful. What really helped mask his illogical and ridiculous postures, inconsistent robot proportions, and soulless faces was the computer colouring (which was pretty eyecatching). Underneath the colouring was panel after panel after panel of static hard-to-follow over-lined RUBBISH. The whole idea of comic book panels is that the pictures aid the storytelling and are easy to follow. Pat Lee and Rob Ruffalo did neither of these. Pat Lee was only suited (and then, just _barely_ so) to "cover art" or "pin-up art". He couldn't draw a fresh, dynamic, emotive, clear panel to save his life! Lee was proof positive that flashy bluster and self-promotion can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, even if Pat had little to no ability to draw robots in panel story form, and couldn't run a comic book company successfully and honestly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

hmm..have to agree with you on the abysmal treatment of the dreamwave staff, however I do feel that the over all generation 1 storyline was heading somewhere, given time, for example: there was the quintesson involvement (which would have tied in with with the third vol of War Within, the smelting pool on earth and of course Unicron)

I guess it depends what kinda stories you like, I'm all for intricate nods and winks to other parts of the ongoing arc and stuff like that and I think thats where they were going...that said, the storyline could have gone on for 2 more years and then turned out to be pants....

I'd still love it if IDW picked up the WW storyline and finished off the third volume....seeing as they are re-publishing the trade paperbacks of the dreamwave stuff its not beyond the realms of plausability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the WW storylines either. The artwork & concept was great, as well as seeing all the TFs in their Cybertroinan modes, but I just didn't like the story. I didn't like that Prime was a records clerk or something and was just handed the leadership of the Autobots (I'd like to think hea earned it) and the first thing he wanted to do was leave!!! And the whole "Fallen" thing? Nah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

yeah the records clerk thing was pushnig it a bit (nice to see that devils due have taken the WW storyline as their "TF history" aswell)

The Fallen was another character who would have been tied back to unicron - this might have made the story a bit more 'sensible' in the grand scheme of things....there was plenty of things they could have explained aswell i.e why did he need those 4 specific autobots - what exactly was so special about them?

oh and that gold disc that megatron discovers (before the war), I would have liked to see where that went - and explanation of *why* they are called decepticons...that was pretty good

speaking of pat lee, belle end you might find this interesting:

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=6;t=1751;&#top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I liked the Dreamwave G1 comic quite a lot. It did tend to drag on. I feel that your criticisms are true of Volume 3, especially the insecticon story. The first two volumes were pretty good. The first was the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Rozie wrote:
    I liked the Dreamwave G1 comic quite a lot. It did tend to drag on. The first two volumes were pretty good. The first was the best.
    The first volume was appalling! Have you not spotted its little merit and large number of grave flaws? The story with the american general was heinous, the dialogue from the robots often laughable, and Pat Lee could NOT hardly draw an easy-to-follow page (i.e. the CORE THING when drawing story panels that flow from one to the other), or robot faces with decent expression, or human ones for that matter, or robotic limbs without a marshmallow bloating effect, or be able to pose/articulate/proportion robots in an sensible/consistent fashion. The GGGGIIIANNT Devastator was yet another bad joke in the godawful artwork.

Pat Lee should have just stuck to the occasional glossy hyper-posed chewing-gum-for-the-eyes super-colour-saturated poster/cover. The man could not draw Transformers comic book panels, and could not help fvcking up the designs of established characters.

Just because it was the first mainstream Transformers comic for many years doesn't mean it was any good. It wasn't. That didn't stop it selling by the bucketload and getting to number one, but popularity isn't an indication of excellence.
    the over all generation 1 storyline was heading somewhere, given time
    Given how long?! Ignoring the crap nature of the plot strands and characterisation for a moment, the G1 storyline was moving along at a very slow pace. Dreamwave were given far too much benefit of the doubt more than once! That Brad Mick written book was heading nowhere good.
    I'm all for intricate nods and winks to other parts of the ongoing arc and stuff like that
    Intricate?! You MUST be kidding. 'Brad Mick' wouldn't know nuance, understatement or a 'less-is-more' approach if his life depended on it. One 'nod' or 'wink' to past cartoon/movie scenes/dialogue might have been bearable/forgivable, but he unimaginatively, brazenly, and plentifully ripped off old stuff (presented to the old cartoon fanboy masses an nothing more than embarrassing fanwank).
    and I think thats where they were going...that said, the storyline could have gone on for 2 more years and then turned out to be pants....
    After the many cack issues they had already produced, it is very very likely that this "pants" scenario would have panned out!

Dreamwave's whole "building up to the arrival of Unicron" schtick was so fvcking unimaginative, old, predictable, and stifling, and was (if they hadn't folded) no doubt going to be some quasi-regurgitation of the Unicron-threat/Galvatron-emergance retread yet again. Damn HACKS McDonough & co - a chance to do something new and ambitious... and they choose the talentless lazy retread route to grab the easy dollars from the fanboy audience subset who buy ANYTHING regardless of quality (combine this with the years without regular Transformers comic books pre-2001 and the 80s nostalgia wave hitting at the start of this decade and it's easy to see how Dreamwave got away with producing sh1te G1 comic after sh1te G1 comic that got to be top sellers! Unbelievable good luck for that charlatan style-over-substance thief Pat Lee and his complicit brother Roger. It allowed them to buy their BMWs after all. Sheesh!) Then you had the whole short-sighted and constrictive Dreamwave policy of trying to introduce the G1 characters based on how the years of the original toys were introduced to the market. UGH!

Those kind of retarded shoddy amateur moves are a surefire way to cripple and dull the creativity and progression of a comic book fictional world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement