Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband Leadership Conference - IrelandOffline Going!

Options
  • 27-08-2006 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Update: Invites on way!

Broadband Leadership Conference - Sept 21st in Berkley Court

ComReg on behalf of DCMNR are organising a conference on "Broadband leadership" on Sept 21st. Invites have been sent out to all the "stakeholders". IrelandOffline have not been invited though. ComReg are also not returning our calls on this.

Hands up who's surprised that this happened? The first time ComReg locked us out they blamed something like an oversight, the second time it was a clerical error. Anyone want to start a pool for what the excuse will be this time?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I suggest that you send them a registered letter informing them that IOFFL are available to attend.

Then when they don't invite you, you have nice proof that they knew that you were available.

Even better get a notary to sign off on the letter, very official then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Or maybe we'll do something more fun. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Sorry for the possible off-topic post here, but is there a concerted effort to get comreg.ie ranked for the keyphrase 'telecoms poodle'?

And if not, why not?:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

A simple, but truthful (not insulting) t-shirt that 3 lads can wear outside for 1/2 hour before the event?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I spoke to my neighbour who breeds pedigree pooches of the non poodle variety.

He is quite happy to donate a ton of dog**** as long as I trailer it to Dublin late on the night of the 20th of September.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Were any ISPs invited? 'Cos I can name at least one that wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

I got to agree with bk's suggestion because then they lose all deniability at which point
    we'll do something more fun.:D

has got to be a winner.

oscarBravo wrote:
    Were any ISPs invited? 'Cos I can name at least one that wasn't.

Yes, I believe most of the larger ones were.

Just been told that invites are on way. OB, maybe you'll get yours too?

I'll be sure to let you know as soon as it arrives.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Did IO have to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭clohamon

damien.m wrote:

Has the programme been published ?
    Will you be making a presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Yes, I will be making a presentation on the benefits of Satellite.

Apparently the last time I did one, everyone was thrilled at how I showed that satellite is the be all and end all of broadband technology. At one point satellite providers were stood up crying with emotion.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭clohamon

jwt wrote:
    Yes, I will be making a presentation on the benefits of Satellite.

Apparently the last time I did one, everyone was thrilled at how I showed that satellite is the be all and end all of broadband technology. At one point satellite providers were stood up crying with emotion.

John

I'm sorry I missed that, but if you don't get to speak, its just an exercise in frustration. You know the kind of thing " 85% of lines are connected to a broadband exchange". I want a headline that says "67% of the country cannot get broadband on an eircom line"

On behalf of that 67% you ought to be due a slot on the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Guy's,
    Are ye mis-understanding the tone of this event. Despite the title of the event the speakers are not from Telcos / ISPs. We have the likes of Hewlett Packard, eBay, Demonware, Concept Labs presenting, oh and Podcasting from Sligo IT.
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    Guy's,
    Are ye mis-understanding the tone of this event. Despite the title of the event the speakers are not from Telcos / ISPs. We have the likes of Hewlett Packard, eBay, Demonware, Concept Labs presenting, oh and Podcasting from Sligo IT.
    thegills

I guess if the event was made public and the programme put online then people would know more about this. I thought IBEC were presenting? Again I don't know until I see the agenda. It might arrive by post today.

damien.m wrote:
    ComReg on behalf of DCMNR are organising a conference...
    thegills wrote:
    We have the likes of Hewlett Packard, eBay, Demonware, Concept Labs presenting...
    Are you working for ComReg or DCMNR now, Dave? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Howdy,
    I work for neither DCMNR or Comreg. My companies invite arrived this morning so I had access to the list of presenters. Ms Miriam O'Callaghan will be the Facilitator for the day.........
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    I work for neither DCMNR or Comreg.
    I know. I was just joshin' (hence the :p).

0845 Mr Noel Dempsey TD opens the event.
    0910 Prof Peter Cochrane Co-Founder and Chief Technologist of Concept Labs
    0940 David Jesse, MD of eBay Ireland
    1000 Martin Cronin, Forfas
    1020 Coffee

1040 Podcasting - Increasing access to 3rd level education. Sligo IT
    1100 Infotainment Technology, Dylan Collins, CEO DemonWare
    1130 Halo Room, Paul Bradley, HP
    1200 Gerry Fahy, TIF, "Ensuring Broadband Ireland"
    1220 Summary/Discussion/Bunfight
    1250 Closing Address. Ms Isolde Goggin, ComReg
    1300 Lunch

Facilitator: Miriam O'Callaghan

• Advertisement

οβ banned for 1 week for trolling

(:p)

damien.m wrote:

Facilitator: Miriam O'Callaghan

Apart from being expensive to hire for 4 hours Miriam knows such a awful lot about technology and Broadband and infrastructure issues in Ireland :(

Why not get DaveMcRedmond, he would do it for free.

cgarvey wrote:
    οβ banned for 1 week for trolling
    I R TEH OPRESSED!

oscarBravo wrote:
    I R TEH OPRESSED!

and what a fine pair oppressed you have. Getting back on topic...

Lil problem here, I sees no leadership being shown at this conference ....in any real sense:( ..... except by Miriam of course because she knows all about Broadband Issues and has a fabulous track record in ensuring that BB was rolled out nationwide and that the issue has been covered exhaustively and in great depth on Prime Time !

In fairness, she has more experience on the chair than most, and does a good job on a wide variety of topics, whether she's an expert in them or not. Having someone passionate about broadband chair would be a mistake, becuase the passion will soon turn to venting at the trio responsible for the shambles we have. I agree, that it lacks leadership in the sense that nothing will be solved, but the conference is not about that. There should be one about that, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

cgarvey wrote:
    In fairness, she has more experience on the chair than most, and does a good job on a wide variety of topics, whether she's an expert in them or not. Having someone passionate about broadband chair would be a mistake, becuase the passion will soon turn to venting at the trio responsible for the shambles we have. I agree, that it lacks leadership in the sense that nothing will be solved, but the conference is not about that. There should be one about that, though!
    Excellent idea. I'm not sure how a mudslinging battle could be avoided in that situation. Will IrelandOffline be attending only?

Advertisement