Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Carlow on Lads weekend?

Options
  • 24-08-2006 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi All,

Heading down to Carlow with some mates for the weekend in October. Accomodation is sorted but I am looking for ideas on things to do; pubs, clubs etc. It will pretty much be a drinking weekend so places to watch footy, drink, play snooker & pool, drink, go clubbing, drink.

All suggestions welcome.

Whitey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi Whitey,

Carlow has no shortage of drinking spots, there are only 20 or so near the centre of Carlow :D . The main area is Tullow St. with 13 pubs. The more popular ones are all at one end & within spittin distance of each other ... Scraggs Alley, The Buzz (aka Buzzes), Tully's, the Dinn Ri complex (bar, cafe bar,Tower night club and The Foundry night club), Lennon's bar and The Med Bar. The newly revamped County Bar and Hotel (previously known as Cosmo Browns) is directly opposite the Dinn Ri and is marketed as a sports bar. Dinn Ri usually shows soccer during the day. Further up is the the Music
    Factory complex with night club/music venue and bars. Don't be afraid to check out the other streets, Dublin St is close by and has a couple of decent pubs too. Nancy Whiskey's in Haymarket comes to mind too.

You'll probably want to eat real food at least once so many of the above pubs do good lunches, Buzz's have carvery up to 3pm for about E8.50 (might include coffee, check). Dinn Ri pub carvery serves good grub up to 6pm for around E10:50, then u get posher food in the cafe bar next door. others such as Lennons do good lunches too. If you're looking for more exotic stuff then lookup Kennedy avenue near the fountain, there's an Indian restaurant, Lemongrass (asian) and Italian Connection (guess!). There's another Indian on Barrack St, and Thai food at The Weeping Taiger near Graiguecullen bridge. All these spots are only 1-2 minutes walk from Tullow st.

Barely any pubs do pool/snooker :mad: . I think Buzz bar still have a few snooker tables upstairs but the Ivy Rooms snooker club is your best bet (no booze though). It's upstairs across from the fountain near the entrance to Carlow Shopping Centre/multi-storey carpark. It still displays big banner letting everybody know it hosted the World amatuer snooker championships a zillion years ago :rolleyes: On the outskirts of the town, there's 10pin bowling in the Dome centre behind the Talbot hotel.

I don't know where you're staying but if you need a taxi in the early hours you can queue in the rain at the rank beside the Road House cafe or you can somehow try stagger to the relative comfort of either of the taxi offices nearby on Dublin St or Tullow St near Supervalu. Either way, the feckers will still charge E5 daytime or even E6 for "unsocial" (i.e. lucrative) hours anywhere within the urban area, more if you go outside.

What ever you plan doing I hope you and the lads enjoy your weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What to do in Carlow? The hot Carlow IT girls, that's what, they be some fine wimmin! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Whitey,

As said above you picked a great stop to go out in, by far and away the best town to go out in in the south east much better than waterford or wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Hey Whiteboard,

Check out my site, hope it helps,

www.carlowentertainment.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

O'Loughlin's (on Dublin Street) have two pool tables, I think, downstairs. The Loft has some as well I hear. That's right beside Carlow Castle. If you go under the arch where Centaur Street (where the rowing club is) meets Castle Street, you're there. That's the junction on the Carlow side of the Barrow Bridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement