Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowest CAO points? (or jam making?)

• 23-08-2006 2:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hope this is the right place to post this, but anyway...
    There was a rumour going around our school that the lowest CAO point course was Jam Making (at something like 15 points). Now I personally doubt the existence of said course, and google seems unable to find it. However the existence of an institution called St Mary's College of Home Economics (or something similiar) in Blackrock could hold said course, but alas, it's website is down.
    Can anyone verify the existence or lack there of of this course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I have also heard the rumours, along with rumours of another low-pointer: Basket Weaving, however I can't provide anything concrete to verify their existence

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Dundalk It
    DK614 Business Studies 85 Points

thats the lowest on the CAO list on their website.

But then again, doesn't a course with AQA mean that you only had to fufil the minimum requirements? So technically if their requirements is to pass 4 ordinary level subjects, you could have gotten 30 points or something for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I heard it's fish farming in CIT which is 5points although it's not on the CAO handbook!! It could be one of those courses you just apply for really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

No idea wat is lowest course but I do know someone who got 5 points :eek: 'Wham is it'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i dont see the point in a thread where we just post who we know got the lowest points. its not very fair on that person.

• Advertisement

I got 576 points and half points.I win.I know somebody who got 2.4 points.st00pid!1!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

i dont see the point in a thread where we just post who we know got the lowest points. its not very fair on that person.
    Have another read of the original post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's possible that the courses could be level 1-5, although im not sure if they fall within the power of the CAO...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Johnny's back. w00t and tha!

Huh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Basket Weaving..... thats just put in the CAO list to insult idiots! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

There was a rumour going around our school that the lowest CAO point course was Jam Making (at something like 15 points).
    Some guy in my year apparently found that in the list of courses and put it down as his last choice purely for the laugh. I suggested (though was never brave enough to attempt) using it for CAO chicken; on the last night to change your course choices, replace everything with jam making then the first person to change back loses. I can imagine years from now "I remember CAO chicken. I won. Here's your jam sir.":D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Some guy in my year apparently found that in the list of courses and put it down as his last choice purely for the laugh. I suggested (though was never brave enough to attempt) using it for CAO chicken; on the last night to change your course choices, replace everything with jam making then the first person to change back loses. I can imagine years from now "I remember CAO chicken. I won. Here's your jam sir.":D.
    Lmao.
    The irony would be that the jam-making company would become the largest jam-production company in the world, as a new type of jam is developed and plays on the international tastebuds, reaping $$$$$$s and $s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Is basket weaving like 5 points in UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I had at least three courses on my CAO that came in as AQA probably a few more, they were mostly my level 6/7 engineering courses. Don't have the energy to check the minimum requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

JC 2K3 wrote:

There is no such course in UCC, and fish farming isn't a course in CIT either, but I too have heard of basket weaving, wonder if you actually need points to do it or if it exists???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

JC 2K3 wrote:
    No, it isn't. Because, afaik, most colleges have at least 2 pass requirements, and therefore the minimum you can get is 10 points. in qhich case it'd just be AQA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

i heard basket weaving was in the arron islands and it was prolly cancelle due to lack of intrest but it really was a course for like 25pts 5 d3's at ordinary level

Not being unpolitical correct but if you got only 10 points in the leaving.You are obviously special needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

Basket weaving was on the CAO list the year before I did my leaving, 2001, because I remember the list of courses and points on the wall outside the career guidance teachers office; we used to stand around and laugh, har har basket weaving. If I recall correctly the points were around 115.

The fact is that if you had any entrepreneurial (sp?) flair you could probably make a killing out of weaving baskets, hand weaved baskets are damn expensive, I'm sure they make a nice tidy profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

Tails142 wrote:

The fact is that if you had any entrepreneurial (sp?) flair you could probably make a killing out of weaving baskets, hand weaved baskets are damn expensive, I'm sure they make a nice tidy profit.

yes, back in ancient times before the dramatic and miraclous discovery of the cardboard box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i remember seeing jam making in trinity for around 15 points. If people all over the country are seeing it i dont see ho it can be un true

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

I actually saw the course in 5 th year in the newspaper that has all the points writtten down for all the courses. My mayte and I laughed about it and told everyone about it. I can't find it again now though, the guidance councillor retired and didn't leave the paper behind. BUT IT DEFO EXISTS. Prefessional jam making

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Putting lids on jam jars in mifit!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Was on the big list of courses in our school. It was 5 points last year and i think its in Glasgow or Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I actually saw the course in 5 th year in the newspaper that has all the points writtten down for all the courses. My mayte and I laughed about it and told everyone about it. I can't find it again now though, the guidance councillor retired and didn't leave the paper behind. BUT IT DEFO EXISTS. Prefessional jam making

That's a four year old thread you've just dug up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thread comes to sticky end ... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement