Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old county reg numbers

Options
  • 16-08-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where I can get a list of the old reg letters for each county or does anybody here know them all? eg IM for Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Don't Know them all but County Louth was IY eg HIY 223 but it changed to ZY eg KZY 465 and then around 1985 it changed to ZY 1234 four digit number instead of the previous 3 and just the 2 letters.
    And of course we all Know what happened in 1987!

I beleive that pre-1966 the format was IY 9999 and when they exhasted all the numbers, it started AIY 1-999 BIY 1-999 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The letters for each county can be found in road traffic leglislation on
    www.irishstatutebook.ie

There were a few Acts over the years to take account of new letters being needed as the old ones got used up.

Here is some legislation from 1958
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI14Y1958.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Thanks BrianD3 and Tom from Irish Vintage News for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

All registrations on the island had the letter 'I' or 'Z' (or both!) in them. Britain never used those letters. So the Paddies could be quickly spotted?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

The codes were issued to all 32 counties in alphabetical order when Ireland was governed by the UK hence Antrim havin IA and Laois being CI as it was Queens County in the alphabetical list. Seperate city codes were given to Limerick, Cork, Waterford at the end of the list, I'm still trying to work out Dublin's codes and some of the codes for the 6 counties, Did Belfast and the city of Derry have seperates codes from the counties they are in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

esel wrote:
    All registrations on the island had the letter 'I' or 'Z' (or both!) in them. Britain never used those letters. So the Paddies could be quickly spotted?
    ....but they do now since their new system came in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Voila Blue850....this is a particular obsession of mine.Extraordinarily saw a battered blue late 70s peugeot 504/5? with a CI Reg (Laois) this afternoon driving through Ahascragh,Co.Galway.I love keeping a look out for them when driving.
    This is a great site,the man must be a nut:
    http://www.olavsplates.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Blue850 wrote:
    Anybody know where I can get a list of the old reg letters for each county or does anybody here know them all? eg IM for Galway

(The list below may be out of date, i.e. made well before the ending in 1987 which may explain why some are missing)

Carlow County Council
    IC.

Cavan County Council
    ID.

Clare County Council
    IE.

Cork County Council
    IF, ZB, ZK, ZT, AIF, BIF, CIF, DIF, EIF, FIF, GIF, HIF, IIF, JIF, KIF, LIF, MIF, NIF, OIF, PIF, RIF, SIF, TIF, UIF, VIF, WIF, XIF, YIF, ZIF.

Donegal County Council
    IH, ZP.

Dublin County Council and The Right Honourable the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of Dublin
    IK, RI, YI, Z, ZA, ZC, ZE, ZI, ZD, ZH, ZJ, ZL, ZO, ZU, ARI, BRI, CRI, DRI, ERI, FRI, HRI, JRI, KRI, LRI, MRI, NRI, ORI, PRI, RRI, TRI, URI, WRI, XRI, YRI, AIK, BIK, CIK, DIK, EIK, FIK, HIK, IIK, JIK, KIK, LIK, MIK, NIK, OIK, PIK, RIK, TIK, UIK, WIK, XIK, YIK, ZIK, AYI, BYI, CYI, DYI, EYI, FYI, GYI, HYI, IYI, JYI, KYI, LYI, MYI, NYI, OYI, PYI, RYI, SYI, TYI, UYI, VYI, WYI, XYI, YYI.

Galway County Council
    IM, ZM.

Kerry County Council
    IN, ZX.

Kildare County Council
    IO, ZW.

Kilkenny County Council
    IP, AIP, BIP, CIP, DIP, EIP, FIP, HIP, IIP, JIP, LIP.

Laoighis County Council
    CI.

Leitrim County Council
    IT.

Limerick County Council
    IU, AIU, BIU, CIU, DIU, EIU, FIU, HIU, IIU, JIU, KIU.

Longford County Council
    IX.

Louth County Council
    IY, ZY.

Mayo County Council
    IZ, AIZ, BIZ, CIZ, DIZ, EIZ, FIZ, HIZ, IIZ, JIZ, KIZ.

Meath County Council
    AI, ZN.

Monaghan County Council
    BI.

Offaly County Council
    IR.

Roscommon County Council
    DI.

Sligo County Council
    EI.

Tipperary, North Riding County Council
    FI, AFI, BFI, CFI, DFI, EFI, FFI, GFI, HFI, IFI, JFI.

Tipperary, South Riding County Council
    HI, AHI, BHI, CHI, DHI, EHI, FHI, HHI, JHI, KHI, LHI.

Waterford County Council
    KI.

Westmeath County Council
    LI.

Wexford County Council
    MI, ZR.

Wicklow County Council
    NI, ANI, BNI, CNI, DNI, ENI, FNI, GNI, HNI, INI, JNI.

The Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of Cork
    PI, ZF.

The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of Limerick
    TI.

The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of Waterford
    WI.
    Blue850 wrote:
    I'm still trying to work out Dublin's codes and some of the codes for the 6 counties, Did Belfast and the city of Derry have seperates codes from the counties they are in?

Antrim IA,DZ,KZ,RZ

(Belfast OI,XI,AZ,CZ,EZ,FZ,GZ,MZ,OZ,PZ,TZ,UZ,WZ)

Armagh IB,LZ

Down IJ,BZ,JZ,SZ

Fermanagh IL

Derry IW,NZ,YZ

(Derry City UI)

Tyrone JI,HZ,VZ,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I beleive that pre-1966 the format was IY 9999 and when they exhasted all the numbers, it started AIY 1-999 BIY 1-999 etc

I don't think it went by year but changed when the possibilities were exhausted. The xx 9999 system was introduced in 1904 and it took Leitrim (IT) a staggering 69 years (1972) to reach IT 9999. I presume in Dublin it was exhausted long before 1966.

In NI Fermanagh was the slowest series. IL 1 to IL 9999 took 54 years (1958).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

In what year would FYI 630 have been issued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Nov 57 to oct 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Don't Know them all but County Louth was IY eg HIY 223 but it changed to ZY eg KZY 465 and then around 1985 it changed to ZY 1234 four digit number instead of the previous 3 and just the 2 letters.

So when you were used to seeing ZY in Louth or surrounds, the current ZV reg can evoke some nostalgia for some, and not appear completly out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

FYI issued 4/58 (Dublin)

cxcully wrote: »
    Voila Blue850....this is a particular obsession of mine.Extraordinarily saw a battered blue late 70s peugeot 504/5? with a CI Reg (Laois) this afternoon driving through Ahascragh,Co.Galway.I love keeping a look out for them when driving.
    This is a great site,the man must be a nut:
    http://www.olavsplates.com/

He answered a problem thats been bothering me for a while now, some Northern Ireland counties, Fermanagh in particular are starting to run out of letters. Fermanagh are using IG at the moment which was never issued to any county originally. They're going to start reversing the 3 letter sequences, 1-9999 AIL etc. NI were different to us in that they reversed the 2 letter allocations before starting the 3 letter sequences, Tyrone for example was JI 1-9999 issued in 12/03, then HZ, then VZ, they then went back to JI but the numbers were in front i.e. 1-9999 JI issued in 4/61(reversed plate it was called). Just some trivia for ye there lads.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

Thanks guys, so FYI 630 probably May 1958

Thanks guys, so FYI 630 probably May 1958

GYI 5/58 so it's there or thereabouts. It looks to be one letter a month at that time. Shame they never added the extra number like the NI system and we'd still have it going strong. It would look much better than the mess of digits we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

So when you were used to seeing ZY in Louth or surrounds, the current ZV reg can evoke some nostalgia for some, and not appear completly out of place.

no.not until it went to 5 or even 6 numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I had an 82/83 (can't remember exactly) Starlet It was 606 EFI. So you're more than likely right.

Advertisement