Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Massacre video

Options
  • 02-07-2006 1:13am

Woah, found this on youtube earlier. It's great seeing his performances again! Anyways, enjoy.

Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

One of the best street performers to grace the streets of Galway.He always drew a large crowd and seemed to get a laugh out of even the grumpiest members of the public.He is definitely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Brings back memories. He was a great performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Just made me remember how much of a legend he was...

Race week has never been the same!

Race week has never been the same!

No offence to Johnny Masacre but Race Week has never been the same????

What are you on Redhairedguy????:confused:

I presume he means with regards to Johnny Massacre performing during it. His quotes at the end were exellent.

Theres a Johnny Massacre rememberance night on the 15th of July in Cuba. I'm def. going!

Info here

• Advertisement

I presume he means with regards to Johnny Massacre performing during it. His quotes at the end were exellent.

Theres a Johnny Massacre rememberance night on the 15th of July in Cuba. I'm def. going!

Info here

I just never associated Mr Massacre with Race Week didnt think they went hand in hand.But i guess if your gonna do some street performing you may as well do it race week and pull some big cash.

Im presuming Cuba will be donating some of the money made that night towards some charity or good cause and not all into Mr Cubas own back pocket?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Legend.

padi89 wrote:
    I just never associated Mr Massacre with Race Week didnt think they went hand in hand.But i guess if your gonna do some street performing you may as well do it race week and pull some big cash.

Im presuming Cuba will be donating some of the money made that night towards some charity or good cause and not all into Mr Cubas own back pocket?.

Supposedly last year there were talks of erecting a monument dedicated to johnny massacre in the place he performed the most.
    Johnny Massacre, the much loved performer who was killed in a car crash in 2003, should be honoured by a monument on the streets of Galway where he regularly entertained the crowds.

This is the view of the Green Party's Cllr Niall Ó Brolcháin who has submitted a notice of motion to the Galway City Council on the matter.

Cllr Ó Brolcháin has asked the city manager Joe McGrath to include the following notice of motion for the meeting of Monday February 28: "That the Galway City Council consider the commissioning of a monument to the well known street entertainer Johnny Massacre at the top end of Mainguard Street in the city centre."

Prior to his tragic death, Johnny Massacre, whose real name was John Doran, regularly drew large crowds to his one-man show in which he combined boundless energy and humour with feats such as sword swallowing and juggling fire or knives while balancing on an eight-foot unicycle. He kept shoppers and tourists entertained during the summer months with his street performances. He has also toured his show around the world, and made a regular appearances at the Glastonbury festival.

Cllr Ó Brolcháin also submitted a second notice of motion for next Monday's meeting, calling for the council to set an estimated completion date for the introduction of electricity to the Carrowbrowne Halting Site on the Headford Road "which was originally due to be installed by Christmas 2004".

Source: Galway Advertiser

I presume he means with regards to Johnny Massacre performing during it.

I do!

During race week, you couldn't walk from one end of shop street to another without being stopped by a massive crowd gathered to see him perform.

That's what I mean!!!!

There are some good performers out there, and i've seen some fantastic shows... but Johnny's shows during raceweek were beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Johnny Massacre, the much loved performer who was killed in a car crash in 2003, should be honoured by a monument on the streets of Galway where he regularly entertained the crowds.
    Yes, and by the way, have you seen the mini-Massacre lad outside Fahy's? About 14-15 or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Brought back a lot of memories seeing that video. Used to love watching him perform. RIP Johnny.

Me thinks a statue would be too much to be honest,no offense intended towards the man.If he had been performing there for donkeys years then maybe, but i guess he probably would have been, had not his life been cut so short.Some type of hand crafted plaque mounted on the wall where he performed would be more suited IMO.A statue plonked in the middle of Shop Street wouldnt look to great to be honest and would be pi55ed on everynight by drunken revellers(hardly a fitting tribute to the man).I think the Green Party would get some serious backlash too if it went ahead, after all there isnt any room on the streets for Padraic O'Conaire.That poor fecker had his head robbed!

That Mini Massacre looks like he just walked off the Oliver Twist set.

His name is Reuben or something along those lines. He's good, but not a tap on Johnny. Admitted, he probably hasn't reached puberty yet, and he will be amazing when he's older. That being said, it's fantastic to see street performers of that caliber in Galway again!

With regards to the plaque, that would be a great idea. With perhaps a picture of him or something performing.

His name is Reuben or something along those lines. He's good, but not a tap on Johnny. Admitted, he probably hasn't reached puberty yet, and he will be amazing when he's older. That being said, it's fantastic to see street performers of that caliber in Galway again!

With regards to the plaque, that would be a great idea. With perhaps a picture of him or something performing.

There is a local guy(i think) here in Galway that handmakes stone plaques.He has one outside Dillons jewelers on Cross Street ,it looks really well.In fact i walked past him the last day and he was sitting outside the jewelers and he appered to be either touching it up or recarving a new one.

I really really really do not like that Reuben chap, he's a cocky stuck up, canadian ass! He thinks his $hit smells sweeter than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

padi89 wrote:
    Me thinks a statue would be too much to be honest,no offense intended towards the man.If he had been performing there for donkeys years then maybe, but i guess he probably would have been, had not his life been cut so short.Some type of hand crafted plaque mounted on the wall where he performed would be more suited IMO.A statue plonked in the middle of Shop Street wouldnt look to great to be honest and would be pi55ed on everynight by drunken revellers(hardly a fitting tribute to the man).I think the Green Party would get some serious backlash too if it went ahead, after all there isnt any room on the streets for Padraic O'Conaire.That poor fecker had his head robbed!

That Mini Massacre looks like he just walked off the Oliver Twist set.

There is a stone plaque on the wall above fahy photo where he used to perform

Advertisement