Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Federation

Options
  • 12-06-2006 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Was talking about ways the star trek storyline can be revived without the need for prequels (concerning the rumours of star trek 11)

And one topic i raised with a friend is can humanity leave the federation?

Is there a government (or a number of governments) on earth outside the federation?

Would it make an interesting plot device to have (taking some inspiration from enterprise) human feelings of the federation slowly turn around, seeing as part of the federation they have ended up in wars with every other major race.

Or have other Species feelings towards humanity changed and humans are booted out of the federation.

Personnally the more i thought about it, the more i'd like to see maybe a mini series attempt (ala battlestar galactica) of a form of downpowering humanity and its position in the federation, which could allow for fresh material for a new series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

That would make no sense what so ever!
    Humanity is the binding force of the federation and its creator.

Silly I say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

azezil wrote:
    That would make no sense what so ever!
    Humanity is the binding force of the federation and its creator.

Silly I say! :)

Agreed, it's silly. Would Washington DC ever get kicked out of the USA? Same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 IPI

Not necessarily.

America, India, Ireland, South Africa, Pakistan, The Middle East, all booted the Brits out and the Empire fell, but the nations thrived. There's no doubt that the aliens alliance might get a little tired of Earth Morality (flexible as it is) and decide, possibly, to form their own alliances without us.

As for Washington DC becoming an independent state as the result of some massive ganging up by the remaining American States (it damned nearly happened to Texas; I'm sure some Louisianans gave it serious thought), if the Will of the People were strong enough I have no doubt it would happen.

Nothing in politics should surprise us. In human terms, a sufficient greed factor would be enough. For various alien races, physical dominance, psychic control, logical annexation or any number of alien moralities might be used as excuses. Earth shouldn't be allowed to feel safe just because the idea originated here. And that, my friends, would make an extremely intriguing story - but not a lot of action.

Personally, growing up with Kirk as the only Captain worth his epaulets, I've often wondered what the Pike years were like. I think it's time the Star Trek chronology was taken back from the destructive grasp of the Berman tyranny and the true story of the origins of the Federation explored.

IPI wrote:
    Not necessarily.

America, India, Ireland, South Africa, Pakistan, The Middle East, all booted the Brits out and the Empire fell, but the nations thrived. There's no doubt that the aliens alliance might get a little tired of Earth Morality (flexible as it is) and decide, possibly, to form their own alliances without us.

As for Washington DC becoming an independent state as the result of some massive ganging up by the remaining American States (it damned nearly happened to Texas; I'm sure some Louisianans gave it serious thought), if the Will of the People were strong enough I have no doubt it would happen.

The federation, as the name implies, is a federal democratic state, not an empire.

I have no idea what you are on about re Texas and Louiseanna. They left the Union during the Civil war but went back in afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lealonie

nah i wouldnt really see humanity bein kicked out of the fed, sure they basically created it, tho i would like to see a sort of maquis series, i know the maquis were pretty much desroyed but something along those lines, were charecters are a bit rougher, coz one thing ive never liked with the newer star treks is that every one is so self righteous, they're too moral!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Lealonie wrote:
    nah i wouldnt really see humanity bein kicked out of the fed, sure they basically created it, tho i would like to see a sort of maquis series, i know the maquis were pretty much desroyed but something along those lines, were charecters are a bit rougher, coz one thing ive never liked with the newer star treks is that every one is so self righteous, they're too moral!
    Its set hundreds of years in the future, I would hope people would hold themselves to a higher moral standard by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Iv always seen earth as a nice empire with the "federation" acting as compliant states supplying resources i have no douths that earth's population colony count technology and militry power dwarfs all other federation races.

with out earth theirs no federation with no federation earth would be weakened but not fataly

bizmark wrote:
    Iv always seen earth as a nice empire with the "federation" acting as compliant states supplying resources i have no douths that earth's population colony count technology and militry power dwarfs all other federation races.

with out earth theirs no federation with no federation earth would be weakened but not fataly

If you have been viewing the federation as an earth empire then i think you have missed the basic point of trek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Meh i just use the word as it brings visions of a large far flung holding....Earth is imho the primery planet and colony holder maybe makeing up 1/3 if not more of the federation ..starfleet is nearly total human flying around in human designed and built ship's they defend the federation with out earth the federation is a shadow of its former self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, assuming the federation would be an advanced civilised political entity they would have to have provision for the smooth transition of any member who wished to withdraw from the group, presumably this would involve a vote to ensure the provinces peoples will is indeed that of the government and then a gradual withdrawl of influence and the establishment of an independent state, the state would probably retain, if only for a while, the uses of the federation for defensive purposes and would have to provide certain assurances on any strategically important positions or resources within its sphere of influence. Imagine a world on the edge of federation dropping out of the federation and signing a pact with the Romulan Star Empire providing whatever expertise/resources they have to offer in return for power or money, whatever? Could be interesting no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Meh i just use the word as it brings visions of a large far flung holding....Earth is imho the primery planet and colony holder maybe makeing up 1/3 if not more of the federation ..starfleet is nearly total human flying around in human designed and built ship's they defend the federation with out earth the federation is a shadow of its former self.

actually agree with this kinda reminds me of the UN , its majority of its funding is from the USA and like the League of Nations i think it would become useless if the USA pulled out from it .

Advertisement