Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Guide author - now the 50 things he loves

Options
  • 29-05-2006 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

From yesterday's Tribune - "50 things to love about Ireland". Here are the four that relate specifically to the South East:

4. Dungarvan Bay
    The closest that Ireland ever gets to a Mediterranean feel - stroll along the quays, visit the ruinned castle and sip cappuccino from the comfort of an alfresco table.

12 Waterford Treasures
    I've been to many museums across the world, but this is truly one of the finest. There's a mass of intriguing exhibits and the whole story of both the city's and Ireland's development is recounted informatively and often with trenchant wit.

36. Pierce Turner
    Christy Moore had it exactly right - "I love the way Pierce Turner sings." Why this Wexford-born, seemingly undiscovered genius of a singer-songwriter receives less press attention in Ireland than a dog show at the RDS is utterly beyond me.

41. Tallow
    Solidly away from the tourist trail, this Waterford town remains utterly unspoilt and has astonishingly reasonably priced places to eat and stay. Just don't tell anybody, please.

He also mentions Dowling's of Cashel on topic no 9 - Snugs.

What can I say? Go Waterford!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kilkenny was praised for it's 'lush river valleys' and 'trim waterside towns and villages'.
    Kilkenny city is described by the 'Guide as being an 'effervescent place with a flourishing arts scene'. The gude says it is a 'splendid place to pass a couple of days thanks to its magnificient castle, other historical sites and a plethora of fine restaurants and pubs'.
    Jerpoint Abbey and Inistioge are singled out as 'highlights' in the south east.
    Inistioge is described as a 'gorgeous riverside village overlooked by the rejuvenated Woodstock estate'. The abbey, along with Kells priory are described as 'evocative'.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"They love us they love us!"

Mike.

Advertisement