Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAT on US vintage import

Options
  • 28-03-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Trying to get my head around this....

I'm kinda :confused:confused :confused:.

I'm bringing in a classic from the US over the next month.

Do I have this right?

VRT is negligable.... :p

VAT at 21% (:eek: ) is levied on the declared value of the vehicle plus shipping costs?

The problem I have is that the price of this vehicle is higher than usual and I'd be scr**ed if I had to come up with that many 'G's.

Any hints?

PS - someone said something about giving the shipping company an invoice or something...?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For a car over 30 years - that seems right.
    There will also be Customs Duty of about 3% on the same sum as VAT is calculated on.

For the declared value I had to provide an invoice from the vendor, which matched the shipping insurance figure they already had.

There would have been questions asked had the car been insured for 10K and the invoice was for 5K. But remember you arrange with the vendor to get the invoice, and it's also up to you to choose the value of the marine insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

OK, so let me get this straight....

Say, in theory :rolleyes: , someone paid $35,000, but got the vendor to put down on the invoice $15,000. And say that someone got it insured for $15,000 on shipping (therefore taking a $20,000 personal risk).

Would that person - in principle - pay $15,000 @ 21% (i.e. $3,150)? And also import duty of 3% (i.e. $750)? And then whatever the VAT was ontop f the shipping.

Am I getting this?

:(

BTW, thanks for the above info!

Also, when you mention "invoice", what document is this exactly? :confused:

I'll have paid over the full amount by the time it's shipped, so are talking about the "bill of sale"?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Citroen Guru

I would advise not to have dodgy invoises. A few years ago brought a Porshe 911 into UK from Belgium. Car was worth 5000 - he had reciept for 3000. Cutoms seized the car and he lost the 4500 he paid for it.
    What about if you had yor car shipped to UK or France and drove it into this country. Then only a 50 euro fee applies as long as the vehicle is over 30 years old. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I just brought a car from Australia that I owned for less than 6 months prior to coming back to Ireland (1974 porsche 911 )

I paid 10000 euro for the car, transport was worked out at 1700, duty 10%and VAT 21% came to 3600, VRT 50.

The ballpark figure would be about 30% of the cost of the car plus shipping. Importing a classic from Europe/UK would probably be a lot cheaper.

I bought a 2004 mercedes ml 7 months prior to leaving and paid no tax so saved 25-30000 on the price here( cannot sell it for 2 years)

• Advertisement

I would advise not to have dodgy invoises. A few years ago brought a Porshe 911 into UK from Belgium. Car was worth 5000 - he had reciept for 3000. Cutoms seized the car and he lost the 4500 he paid for it.

How on earth could they prove this discrepency??

What if it's an unual model where the price varies significantly?
    What about if you had yor car shipped to UK or France and drove it into this country. Then only a 50 euro fee applies as long as the vehicle is over 30 years old. Good luck

I've heard this millions (:rolleyes: ) of times here.

What's the story with bringing it in to the UK?

Is there a lower rate?? How much do I stand to save on the above example...?

Help, please....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thats bogus, in order to register the car you need a cert, be it US or european, stating the cars age and chassis number. If you say that you bought the car in the UK or Europe they will require proof of that. If you claim that the car was unregistered and you bought from a european owner who had bought it from the states, they will still stick you with the duty because it hasn't been paid in any european country. Your best bet is to take the hit and marine insure it for less than you paid but if it's on the way it's too late for that. I'm not sure what the situation is when importing from the US, whether Mr tax man is waiting at the docks or if you can bide your time and register it later but if you can, then dirty it up a bit, you never know, they may take pity on you if it looks iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Hi Mr H. Congratulations (on both of your bits of news!;) ) !

I found this, on borads somewhere, the guy who posted it is actually the guy I got my car from, so knows a bit about it. You could probably contact him for more info.

"sentenel
    20-05-2005, 00:11
    Hi Sean,
    I have imported a few cars from the states so hope i can help.
    The ruling Shagman is talking about is called the BTI ruling and British Customs have tightened up their conditions on this so your car would have to be extreamly rare ie 1 of only 5 made, or have historic value ie Elvis's car. ;) so you'll have to pay duty on importing the car but if the car is over 30yrs old you'll only pay 50 euro VRT. It's expensive getting the car shipped over from England but we have a guy who brings over cars for a lot of guys in our American Club from England and he is cheapish approx 400 /500 euro :eek: .
    I've used two main companies to ship from the states Rybec shipping TEL: 00441795876000 and Kingston Shipping TEL : 00441482374116. Both were very helpful.
    hope this helps
    cheers
    joe"

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

Originally Posted by Citroen Guru

How on earth could they prove this discrepency??

What if it's an unual model where the price varies significantly?

Problem is they dotn need to prove anything, you do. If they seize your car its up to yu to prove the facts and figures. Its a nasty system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

customs and excise people are mean, very powerful and not stupid, they have a very good gague on value.

also my mate tried for the "helpful" invoice when he bought his chevy truck and the guy refused flat out, the same guy had 3 minis with the vin numbers ground off on his forecourt that he had imported with older vin plates attached and was happy to do that, but no way would he write a dodgy invoice for fear of the IRS

from the states he paid: 10% duty on invoice price
    21% VAT on invoice+shipping price
    €50 VRT for a commercial vehicle (pickup)

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone with Rybec - super friendly guy called Jamey.

He reckons it's no problem with a BTI as it's a 40s car!

He said they (Customs) did tighten up the BTI availablity but they still give them for pre - '50s cars.

:D:D:D

Yeehaw!

My only concern now is that if I don't get the BTI then will the cat be let out of the bag??:eek:

£900 for RonRoff.

£1800 containerised.

£300 fully comp ins with £500 excess.

Happy days!!!

Told him about the above scenario (earlier post) but he said he'd not recommend it, obviously!

Thanks a million guys!

:p:D:p

Sounds good to me,, if you can get it BTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dublind

This is all really interesting and helpful to know. I have a quick question along the same lines... If i was to import a car from the states as discussed but not to drive but to part out would i still need to pay all those taxes etc????

Double checked with Kingston shipping - great info above lads! - and they said the rule is pre 1950.

And I can apply for a BTI if I want to (it's free) but that I don't have to as the Customs guys in the UK have the info and know that if it's pre 1950 I get the BTI rate of 5%.

So, again:

Say PP is $35,000 / £20,000. Shipping £1,000.

VAT should be £21,000 @5% = £1,000 approx.

I'm grinning ear :D2:D ear...!

I'm also sh**ing it about driving a steel bubble up from Southhampton to Hollyhead sans seatbelts.

PS - Mustang68: thanks for the words of encouragement and the leads after the gad-awful shock you gave me on Sat night when you said I'd have to pay tax. :eek:AAAAHHHH!!! The taxman cometh...!:eek:.

H.

As far as I know, yes, its the same as buying anything somewhere else and bringing it in, however VRT may not have to be paid if its a box of parts and you're not registering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dublind

i thought 2nd hand goods wernt taxed if brought from the states.. so therefore if the car itself was only been brought in for parts and not to be driven it would also be exempt..But maybe Im way off the mark here!!!!!!!!!

Gentlemen,

On the advice of a fellow boarder,

I am so delighted with the valuable info I got as a result of boards, I am going to give y'all a taster of what you might spot around the Goatstown area....

This is an ALL ORIGINAL 1941 Buick Special Model 41-SE. This is an immaculate automobile from an era in American history of the "Greatest Generation," complete with the WWII gas rationing sticker. This is two-owner car, originally chauffer driven, with 34,755 original miles.

I present: da da!

Buick1941102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Fantastic Mr H, beautiful car, hope to see you 'presenting' at some of the shows.
    ( should win a few prizes for that )

Cheers Bud!

dubtom wrote:
    Fantastic Mr H, beautiful car, hope to see you 'presenting' at some of the shows.
    ( should win a few prizes for that )

Don't worry, you won't miss me - I'll be in full '40s rig out!!!

(PS - I'm not joking - just ask mustang68....)

:)

• Advertisement

Mr. H wrote:
    complete with the WWII gas rationing sticker.

Heard 20 mins after getting the car, somewhere in Goatstown:

"Honey, I cleaned the car and took that horrible sticker off the windscreen, took ages to pick it of"

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooo"

:D

I'm planning on having this shipped to Felixtowe, UK and driving it home thru' Hollyhead (with Rybec).

I'm going to get a BTI in UK.

So, do I leave the US plates on? :cool:

Or do I drive with no plates across UK? :(

When do I register with Irish authorities to get my ZV plates here?? :confused::confused:

Should I arrange insurance now to drive it home?

Any help would be appreciated.... :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 summer77

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I just brought a car from Australia that I owned for less than 6 months prior to coming back to Ireland (1974 porsche 911 )

I paid 10000 euro for the car, transport was worked out at 1700, duty 10%and VAT 21% came to 3600, VRT 50.

The ballpark figure would be about 30% of the cost of the car plus shipping. Importing a classic from Europe/UK would probably be a lot cheaper.

I bought a 2004 mercedes ml 7 months prior to leaving and paid no tax so saved 25-30000 on the price here( cannot sell it for 2 years)

Hi Traumadoc,
    I’m looking at purchasing classic 4x4 from Australia, did you get 20ft container to transport?
    Was the duty paid the % of sales invoice + transport fee?
    Approx time till Delieverd 8weeks?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think you are 15 years too late

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

MOD NOTE: summer77 please don't revive ancient threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement