Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N11 - Speed checks

Options
  • 17-03-2006 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi there

thought i'd do my bit and warn N11 users that the filth that are out a bit too regularly on the N11!! Have spotted them going northbound before Jack Whites and also at the 2nd entrance from Ashford! Really bugs me that they're selecting an easy non-accident prone spot. There and the Kilmac stretch - i reckon that was set at 60 just to have an easy hit for them!!

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Northbound

Arklow RFC
    Bottom of the hill at Clonpadden
    At the first exit for Rathnew/Ashford on the OTHER side of the road on the on ramp
    Kilpedder Village
    Entrance to the Glen of The Downs
    Kilmac before and after the petrol station

Southbound

N11 just before the Bray/Greystones exit at Hills Garage,
    Kilmac at the overbridge
    Paul Sexton's Garden Centre
    At the turn off to Delgany
    Anywhere along the Ashford bypass
    At the very end of the Arklow bypass (2nd turn to Arklow)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

So it's a bad thing that they're trying to stop people speeding? If you don't want to get done then don't speed and break the law. Is it really that difficult to comprehend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

LadyLotts wrote:
    So it's a bad thing that they're trying to stop people speeding? If you don't want to get done then don't speed and break the law. Is it really that difficult to comprehend?

He calls them the filth, what else do you expect? Hes nothing but a scumbag (Note to mods - in response to his filth comment)

And besides, a Garda standing on a blind corner in the rain is not a safe practice is it? "Hey we lost 6 men but at least people cant say we took the easy option"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

LadyLotts wrote:

The speed checks in question are on a dual carriage way which suddenly goes from 100 to 60 for a few hundred yards, with very little warning. It is incredibly easy to miss the one speed limit sign in the evening. I travel this road each day and even when you know the road well, it is very easy to miss the speed sign.

They are not trying to stop people speeding. If they wanted to do this, they would put masssive signs up saying "Speed Checks Ahead". This would make people slow down. They are trying to catch people speeding which is an entirely different matter - i.e. quotas / revenue. Unless they pull you over immediately, you could go several months before knowing that you were stopped. Hardly an education, is it?

The Gardai have admitted (front page of the national papers one day last year IIRC) that they have to catch so many people speeding so they perform well in their league tables. This is why they put speed traps in places that are the most likely to catch people, even if the speed limit on these roads is too low (UCD Bypass for example).

I don't agree with the "filth" remark though.

Advertisement