Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankruptcy

Options
  • 21-03-2006 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Is it widely used in Ireland?

Would/can the creditors fight a bankruptcy brought by the debtor himself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bankruptcy here is quite different from the US. Here it is extremely serious, whereas in the US, if you haven't been bankrupt you aren't considered a successful business. :D

Yes, creditors will fight tooth and nail to get everything from the debtor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

Thanks Victor

What I meant to ask is would creditors oppose bankruptcy if the debtor tried to petition the High Court himself? Or would they simply allow the debtor to get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It seems to me that its a very rare move by either creditors or debtors in Ireland. I think that creditors know that if they bankrupt someone they are likely to get feck all back. They would prefer to use installment orders and the threat of prison as they can get more out of a debtor that way.

Advertisement