Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice? entry level racer.

Options
  • 03-03-2006 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an entry level racer (my first one), just wondering if anyone has any advice on which one to go for? Budget is about 900euro max, ive been looking at the giant ocr2 and lapierre equipe. Anyone any experience/knowledge of either of these? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Of those two the Giant has a better selection of equipment. The Sora groupset on the Lapierre is poor, perhaps they spend the money elsewhere but sloppy gears after a few months riding will piss you off no end. I've no experience of the specific bikes though, I'm posting mostly so I can say this:

If you have some time to wait around looking for bikes then go with the second hand market! E.g.

Carrera Racing Bike. Leinster Laois €450.00
    1yr old, ex cond, small/medium frame, b&w, 18 spd gears, with 105 rear mech & gear & brake levers, €450. 087-7805941

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

lol, nicely camoflauged ad! thanks for the advice, would be interested in that bike except im pretty tall (small/medium frame wouldnt suit), also i have vouchers for cycle superstore in tallaght from the insurance compay (old bike was stolen). anyone know if they do 2nd hand bikes by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

The shops rarely do s/h bikes. I was in cyclesuperstore looking for one a year ago and they basically said they don't waste their time with them. I guess it makes them no margin. If you have to get a new one, that Giant looks the best.

Rob

p.s. not my bike, just had alook over buyandsell :-)

o right, thanks for the help anyway rob, i was looking at a couple of second hand ones in my local shop that seemed a good deal, but now i have these vouchers i guess it's a new bike for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corkoniense

max_power wrote:
    I'm looking to buy an entry level racer (my first one), just wondering if anyone has any advice on which one to go for? Budget is about 900euro max, ive been looking at the giant ocr2 and lapierre equipe. Anyone any experience/knowledge of either of these? Thanks.

I just put a deposit down for an OCR4 in cycleways on parnell st. costs €470. i know it's more basic than the above, but the guy said it would be good for a beginner triathlete who just wants to "complete rather than compete". what do ye think? Am i being ripped off, or is it a good model for a beginner competitor??

ps i only have about €500 to spend at any rate.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Max_Power, I bought a Giant 2 years ago and in the last year and a half have ridden a and raced it quite a bit. I think it's a very good entry level bike which if you wanted to you could upgrade a bit (I changed saddle and handelbars / tyres eventually but more out of personal preference than anything wrong with them)

The Tiagra groupset isn't actually too abd and I put on 6700 km on the chain and cassette before changing them (way over recomended mileage) and never had any sort of gear changing problems at all!

I think it's a neat package for someone who wants to cycle with a view to racing, without spending the big bucks.

Chat to the Bike Shop in Wexford, they have a few lying around wich may go at a good price (700 I think). www.thebikeshop.ie or 053 22514. That's where I got mine.

GP

thanks lads, think im going to go for the ocr 2, hopefully get it this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

A Trek 1200 is an amazing bike for the money I got one over a year ago for €915 and it ran beautifully until last January when it got written off in a bad crash . I clocked up thousands of miles on it with absolutely no problems. They have a great spec for the price and a nice carbon seatpost and fork. You should definately check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 howya horse

Quay Cycles have bargains at the moment inc...Giant ,Trek,Lapierre.
    Great shop with far better aftersales and customer care than any of the Dublin shops......well cheaper for Lapierre than Cyclesuperstore

got the OCR2 there on saturday, haven't had much of a chance to cycle it-weather mainly, but it seems lovely. next step, anyone have any good cycle routes round the wicklow area? im in south dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

max_power wrote:
    anyone have any good cycle routes round the wicklow area? im in south dublin.
    You could look at the routes on the Wicklow 200km route page.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

max_power wrote:
    got the OCR2 there on saturday, haven't had much of a chance to cycle it-weather mainly, but it seems lovely. next step, anyone have any good cycle routes round the wicklow area? im in south dublin.

have same bike, it'll be grand for you, although be careful about the hills down in wicklow until you get the hang of it. they can be a kiler. get the 50 and 56 OSI maps and just go for it. head out from dundrum out the enniskerry road and keep going toward bray, cross the N11 and hit the backroads out toward rathdrum/rathnew, cut across to laragh or roundwood and back over the hills. various other routes, just get the maps out and stick to the side roads..

Advertisement