Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work...ughh

Options
  • 03-07-2002 9:59pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I have a problem...I recently started a second job to save money for a trip, I have only worked 3 days and I already dont want to go back, but I have been praying for a second job for months now...I work 9-6 m-f at my first job in an office, then I walk across the street and work there from 6-11 at night standing at a cash register...I feel like such a weakling and idiot because I can do it but I dont want to because its making me anxious and iritable here at my first job to think about going there and then when I am there I feel anxious to leave...
    I am so very distressed, I asked for this and now I feel guilty and stupid for maybe telling them I dont want to work there anymore... what would you do? ...stressed and nerve wrecked aarrgghhhhhh!:confused: need to make a decision quick!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

The question you need to ask yourself is how much do you want to go on this holiday??? If you really want this holiday and you need the 2nd job for the money then you gotta stick it out! On the otherhand if you arent that pushed about the holiday and you dont want the stress/hassle of the 2nd job then quit it! Whats the point in getting yourself completely stressed out about soemthing if you dont really REALLY want it?

thats me 2 cent

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

true...well, the thing is I can save for my trip without the second job it just means I have to wait a little longer... I guess I am too impatient and need to just sit back and take my time...you see it's more than a holiday or trip... I want to move away and am trying to save the money to live on while I look for work... I have enough to go already, it's just I need money to live on whilst I look for a job and jobs seem to be scarce at this time.

I think I will go ahead and quit, just bide my time

thanks though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Working hours like that is crazy. I spent a year working in London - leaving the house here at 7.30am and not getting back until 10 or 11 in the evening, then generally doing a bit of work at home before going to bed. That year, frankly, had a really bad impact on my health and stress levels. I was enjoying my job a lot which is the only reason I stuck it out, but I know that I was not well at all by the end of it - very run down, a lot of stress and muscular pain and so on.

You cannot work 9am to 11pm for very long without it taking a toll on you personally. Your desire to quit the job and irritability is your body telling you that it's not up to this. You're not a weakling and certainly not an idiot - an idiot is someone who takes on something like this and then sticks to it and makes themselves ill and run down. The clever person is the person who realises they've bitten off more than they can chew, and spits some of it out rather than choking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's not a question of whether you leave or not, it's a question of when. You can't keep those sort of hours up for long. Personally I don't think it's worth it. If you've already got the money to go away, I would go. You'll always get by. Remember there's jobs like that where you're going - if you get desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Jack it in, give it up

Work to live, don't live to work

That sort of crazy hour workload should really only be done if your desperate for cash - like needing money for the operation, or to keep guys from breaking you legs. To save for a holiday, forget about it, have the holiday later, you'll apreciate it a whole lot more if you're not half dead going.

that's what I think anyway, for what it's worth

• Advertisement
Advertisement