Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new st movie

Options
  • 28-12-2005 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

it was in the news on the radio that picard(patrick) has signed up to do 1 last startrek movie that will be due out next year(this year coming i assume)
    Haas any heard any specifics on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

This is the first I have heard of it.

I hope its not like the last Star Trek film - that was pretty sh1t, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Been looking into this a little after reading the OP. Apparantly the new film will be set in the mirror universe and will feature Kirk, Picard and Archer. Doesn't sound great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i wonder if frakes will be directing, it would be good to have another directors pov on things... the last one was crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hopefully it will turn out well i have always enjoyed the mirror universe stuff and at least it leaves a back door to bring data back which wouldn't be a bad thing imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

LundiMardi wrote:
    i wonder if frakes will be directing, it would be good to have another directors pov on things... the last one was crap..
    frakes didn't direct the last one stuart baird did, he hasn't got a great c.v.
    # Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
    # U.S. Marshals (1998)
    # Executive Decision

frakes hasn't directed since insurrection, he said the strain of starring and directing was too much. same reason nimoy wouldn't do ST:VI but agreed to produce if he could get meyer to direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Anyone have any links for this? Last I heard or read they were doing an 'acadamy' type thing. Which sounded awful.

Mirror universe sounds like clutching at straws to me -- an excuse to 'reinvent' because they couldn't be bothered giving the fans a faithful film at the expense of apealing to the widest posible audience.

And anything with Archer in it sounds like a bad idea. Couldn't stand him in Enterprise.

Goodshape wrote:
    Anyone have any links for this? Last I heard or read they were doing an 'acadamy' type thing. Which sounded awful.

Mirror universe sounds like clutching at straws to me -- an excuse to 'reinvent' because they couldn't be bothered giving the fans a faithful film at the expense of apealing to the widest posible audience.

And anything with Archer in it sounds like a bad idea. Couldn't stand him in Enterprise.
    tbh it all sounds like wishful thinking to me, there isn't a peep on IMDB or startrek.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Been looking into this a little after reading the OP. Apparantly the new film will be set in the mirror universe and will feature Kirk, Picard and Archer. Doesn't sound great.
    Agree. On the face of it, it sounds sh1te. Much as I love Kirk, Shatner is way too fat and old, sorry. And Archer FFS!:eek:
    It good news is, its probably just 100% vapourware.
    I also 100% agree with Goodshape's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Goodshape wrote:

He was terrible in Enterprise, alright. This film sounds pretty sh1t if Archer is in it.

IMO, they would be better off not making a new film if this is the kind of stuff they expect to be churning out. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

wow i must be the only person who thinks this sounds amazing
    emperor Tiberius and a mirror univerce story line
    archer i dont care piccard i dont care in Enterprise season 4 episode 18 in a mirror darkley was one of the best episodes of trek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ah f*ck it i might as well just give up hope for star trek.What’s the working title? Star trek: Blatant Action movie. Star trek: we have f*cked up the "real" universe so bad we need to give the mirror universe a shot,. Star trek: Life support. Star trek: desperate scriptwriters, Star trek: suicide, Star trek : if you though the scimitar was fanboyish you haven’t seen anything yet! Etc .

Producer: Omfg no one has done a mirror universe film wtf is with that!!!!11one we could have like l33t sfx's and kill off beloved crew member’s with out growing the balls to do it in the "real" universe OMG paramount will just love this and its sure to reignite interest in star trek.......yep a movie that is meaningless to anything in the future and pretty much every thing in the past bar maybe 6 hours out of hundereds will get a lot of fans interested makes sense to me! Hell while we are at it lets get seven of nine to strip w00t. :rolleyes:

Anyway I need not worry this film will never be made not unless there’s a mirror universe TV series in the planning which more than likely there isn’t thank god after all star trek is all about an optimistic out look for the future not some evil earth empire.

how about Star Trek: Rumour Mill gone mad, most of the so called plots i've read here have been rumours since paramount anounced a 6th movie to coincide with the 25th anniversary, that was in 1991,
    until i see any mention of it on startrek.com i wouldn't believe a word of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Patrick Stewart always managed to carry a film doesn´t matter how bad the storyline was. Having said that, clearly Star Trek 10 wasn´t what people hoped it would be, so I guess another try can´t do any harm.

It is odd though that it would be a film without Data.

I am satisfied with Patrick playing in X-Men III. If there is to be another Star Trek I will go and watch it for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Star Trek went downhill after Will Shatner left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dataisgod wrote:
    hopefully it will turn out well i have always enjoyed the mirror universe stuff and at least it leaves a back door to bring data back which wouldn't be a bad thing imo
    data is gone....:/
    now i don't want to see the new films...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

1 good but wierd
    2 really good
    3 ok but could have been better
    4 giant pedigree chum floating through space looking for whales, enough said
    5 wasnt mad for it
    6 really good
    7 quite bad
    8 really good in an action movie kinda way (plus the borg queen did it for me)
    9 ok they once again created a reason to drag waorf back from ds9 which annoyed me
    10 kinda crappy, should have been better

new movie set in alternative universe, could be interesting as they could get rid of all the crap they have created in the last few series, & theres is something cool about the idea of emperor kirk (maybe im just picturing him on a throne looking evil)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just to let you know that this was reported on william shatners forum over at his website and the moderator of the boards got a message to Bill about this

The answer was "this is the first ive heard about it"

So i think that lays this rumour to rest

www.williamshatner.com if anyones interested in reading up on it

Shin

It is odd though that it would be a film without Data.
    do you not think that that attrocious B4 storyline was to reprise the data character at a later time, despite what happened

1. Utter crap, the directors cut seems to be the only version that is kind of bareable
    2. Absolutely brilliant*
    3. Not sure what to think of it
    4. It had its funny moments like Scotty talking into a computer mouse
    5. Oh my God, with the exception of the fireplace scenes the movie is just miserable
    6. Absolutely brilliant*
    7. Good Story and a good debut for TNG cast
    8. Legend. Cool movie
    9. Too slow paced but still good
    10. It is not a bad movie but as the 10th film it is not what it could have been

* - same director

do you not think that that attrocious B4 storyline was to reprise the data character at a later time, despite what happened

If they offer him enough money I reckon he would come back as this tin - idiot B4.

• Advertisement

tj you know the nick meyer actually rewrote the script for stIV aswell which is proabably why you liked it, i'd love to see them ask him to produce a star trek series of his own, he seemed so tapped into the characters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bar'El

tbh it all sounds like wishful thinking to me, there isn't a peep on IMDB or startrek.com

i agree with you i also have heard nothing and i always keep an ear to the ground ,,,,,, did fined this tho http://www.moviehole.net/news/20051230_tom_hanks_eyed_for_star_trek_i.html

as a fan id watch any thing related

but dont know ,,,,,,, would bring alot of people to the franchise just that tom hanks would be init...........but would have to have a huge budget so that they could afford his wages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

I wish they would do one of the book "Federation"..this was one of the books written for a film but it wasn't finished in time and so Generations became the next star trek film..absolutely brilliant book and but obviously too late to do now thanks to the demise of some star trek characters..last one was awful and reminds me of a penny arcade sketch..kept me laughing for days

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/07/04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 detriment

on the 11th of december i went to see Patrick Stewart in his one man version of a christmas carol. At the end there was a Q&A session, in which he said he would be interested in staring in one more next gen film, but he said it would have to be in the next year or too coz he felt he is getting too old to play Picard. The play was brilliant he really is a truly excellent actor. Unfortunately he only spent 2 minutes signing autographs when he came out the stage door, i felt disappointed coz i wanted one, still it was worth it to see 'Captain Picard' in the flesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think B4 was more of a plot device, a sub plot that acted as a parallel to the Picard/Shinzon dealy-o

Advertisement