Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soft modding a gamecube

Options
  • 15-12-2005 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

anyone have any experience with a Datel Max Drive Pro softmodding a gamecube?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

no but i chipped mine myself and it works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

what chip?
    Venom or qoob?
    Planning to get a qoob pro myself, for a Rev B GC (afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

was thinking about getting a qoob pro and a replacement case(or can the normal case play full size dvds?)

interesting, shame my solder skills are crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭the_jocky

wat benifite does this mod have lads i never knew nintendo could be modded as there all mostly carts and different size cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You can play backup (i.e. stolen) games and game from other regions. You need to buy a new case for it to read normal DVD's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

madrab wrote:
    anyone have any experience with a Datel Max Drive Pro softmodding a gamecube?
    No but I didnt know it was possible untill you mentioned it. It seems to be fairly handy, you just copy GCOS to the Max drive, run it with the disc supplied with the Max Drive and swap the disc for a homebrew one when you are prompted. GCOS 1.5 is out soon as well which means that development is still in progress.

I'd like to know how much the datel max drive is though before going down that route but not having to open the gamecube is a definite plus

Another issue is the cost of 8mm blank DVDs, I'm sure they're not cheap but maybe there's a simple DIY casemod that'll allow you to use full size DVD-rs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You can play backup (i.e. stolen) games and game from other regions.
    Read: homebrew games and 'curiosity'

I'm re-casing mine with an Xecuter IceCube, I can get the chip for an extra 40euro and I'll invalidate whatever warranty is left on the thing when I open it.
    So it's more of a case of "Why not" rather than "why".

Not taking a swipe Ciaran, I just don't like modding immediately being associated with piracy

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

there's a shop in parliament st. that has the mini dvd-r discs 5 for €5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

No but I didnt know it was possible untill you mentioned it. It seems to be fairly handy, you just copy GCOS to the Max drive, run it with the disc supplied with the Max Drive and swap the disc for a homebrew one when you are prompted. GCOS 1.5 is out soon as well which means that development is still in progress.

I'd like to know how much the datel max drive is though before going down that route but not having to open the gamecube is a definite plus

Another issue is the cost of 8mm blank DVDs, I'm sure they're not cheap but maybe there's a simple DIY casemod that'll allow you to use full size DVD-rs
    yeah was looking at the datel site, it costs around 45 euro for the max drive pro

Advertisement