Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making my own acapellas/instrumentals?

Options
  • 22-12-2005 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm new to this bootlegging thing so i don't know very much, I'm just wondering if there's a way I can make my own acapellas/instrumentals from the original MP3? There's a couple of songs I'd like to mash together but I can't find the acapellas/instrumentals anywhere.

Nala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

AnalogX do a Vocal Remover program that I have had mixed results with. The main problem is that vocals tend to sit in the center of the stereo spectrum and any instruments that overlap or share the same frequency range with the vocals will also be removed. Also reverbs tend not to be centered which can make the removal of vocals with reverb hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wonderman

This is a tutorial posted on crazypellas for making your own acapellas
    Heres Sum Tips For The People That Want Acapellas That Havent Been Released And Can Do Yourself

heres an overview of the different methods used for extracting vocals...

1. THE PHASE CANCELLATION METHOD
    Get an instrumental of a song, invert the phase (sometimes refered to as flipping), and mix it with the original.. If done right everything besides the vocal is cancelled out. You can do this in any sequencer like cubase or acid.. The instrumental must be excatly the same time/pitch however. and mp3s might not work if they are badly encoded. Zoom right in to see the 2 waveforms next to each other (look for kick drum hits) and line them up.

2. THE KNOCKOUT METHOD
    using 'knock0ut' (http://www.freewebs.com/st3pan0va/) you can spectrally subtract one piece of audio from another. Start by extracting the centre mono of a track (soundforge or cooledit will do it with the pan/expand feature). then try and make an instrumental out of loops from the track and 'knock them out' of the vocal parts. This can work even if the instrumental isn't excatly the same as the song.

3. OTHER METHODS
    Besides these methods you can try Cool edits (now audition) noise reduction feature, which is very powerful. Analyse a bit of instrumental and get a profile (6000 or 4096FFT is a good size).. reduce than from the whole song.
    You can also try the soundhack spectral plugins and Voxengo's Transmodder to futher reduce spikey nosies like drums.. (don't ask me how .. its all trial and error).

You will NEVER make a totally perfect acapella with 2 and 3. You can however make something good enough to work in your mix.. USE YOUR EARS! LISTEN and learn and you might get somewhere

SOUND FORGE

Fortunately, Sound Forge has a special Mid-Side conversion feature (normally used for another purpose) that pretty much makes this process automatic. Without it, the process would be much more involved (ie. having to remove the vocal first, converting to mono, phase inverting, and recombining with a mono version of the original file).

Here's how to do it the easy way in Sound Forge:
    1 ) Open the original audio file.
    2 ) Choose Edit>Select All to select all the data in the file.
    3 ) Choose Process>Pan/Expand.
    4 ) In the Pan/Expand dialog box, choose the Normal Mix Of MS Recording preset.
    5 ) Click OK.
    6 ) Choose Edit>Selection>Set.
    7 ) Choose Left in the Channel parameter drop-down list.
    8 ) Click OK.
    9 ) Choose Edit>Copy.
    10 ) Choose Edit>Paste Special>Paste To New.
    11 ) Save your new audio file.

Depending on the type of material that you're processing, the results will vary, but they'll never be perfect. Anything that was in the middle of the mix will now be in your new audio file, which probably includes the vocal, bass, and some of the other background instruments. You can try to tweak the mix a bit with EQ, but other than that, what you get is what you get.

Heres A Program That Helps Create Acapellas
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79428

Another Program That Produces Various Results
    http://mp3-player.audio4fun.com/mp3-music-editor.htm

And For Cool Edit Pro(I Was Told This SUmtimes Works But Havent Tried It)
    effects>amplitude>channel mixer>vocal cut

**NOTE** Credits go to da burner for writing this, i personally have not tried any of the techniques mentioned.

link to orignal post: [Tutorial] How To Make DIY Acapellas

Advertisement