Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart 6m/512k for Christmas

Options
  • 08-12-2005 9:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Smart are giving their current customers 6m/512k for one month over Christmas at no extra charge:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=85

Nice Christmas present.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

struth !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Deception217

What happens after xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

It might also be a testing period!

If the tests are positive with a large amount of people able to get the allocated 6/0.5 then they will have a big add campaign showing it off.

Eircom have no hope of offering such a product to the average home user as their current Corp product will only get an upgrade to 5M as any higher would probable lead to a lot of trouble..not to mentiom the HUGE montly cost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

seems silly to me to give the customer something for free and then take it away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Its possibly also a test to see how many customers use it, how they use it (suddenly turn into demon downloaders) and possibly just a test to see how many lines can take it (mine can't damn it!).

Maybe they are just doing it coz they are nice people :)

I've been using 512k up on my line for the last couple of months and its just superb. A little for bittorrenting but I also am now able to run a file storage server and more from home that has proven so handy. I wouldn't have bothered over a 128k up link.

It changed the way I used the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

seems silly to me to give the customer something for free and then take it away :)

I hear its more addictive than crack

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Eircom will probably send an E-mail that will give 2cent off our next bill if you spend an hour filling out a Christmas survey..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SeaSide wrote:
    I hear its more addictive than crack

NTL gave us 10m/512k for one day and then the next day they took it away :mad:

Man it is so mean to have these types of speeds and then take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

this is deadly, much respect to smart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Fantastic news. Time to install a bigger HDD. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Holy Crap.

Just got Smart BB turned on yesterday.........

what great news! Thanks Smart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

bk wrote:
    NTL gave us 10m/512k for one day and then the next day they took it away :mad:

Man it is so mean to have these types of speeds and then take it away.

It will be back ;)

From whats being said on the smart forums, I think people have an option to keep the 6MB/512kb for a small price increase.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Was talkin to a guy who just ordered smart. He siad that they were upgrading the speeds after christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

From whats being said on the smart forums, I think people have an option to keep the 6MB/512kb for a small price increase.
    S.
    Rabbit,

I don't think we ever said it would be 'small' price increase.:)

Garfield.

I knew that would get an answer from you.......!!

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

the corpo wrote:
    this is deadly, much respect to smart
    Since I joined them 10 days ago I have had nothing but smiles all round, their customer service is excellent on their forums and they always have 2-3 mods including Gareth to handle the questions.
    Smart have also phoned me and asked how my BB was going too lol
    I am getting almost the full 2mb connection (1972) unlike Eircoms which was 1712 and of course it is so much much cheaper.
    wish their was a loveheart smilie ;]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

/edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

zuma wrote:
    It might also be a testing period!

If the tests are positive with a large amount of people able to get the allocated 6/0.5 then they will have a big add campaign showing it off.

Eircom have no hope of offering such a product to the average home user as their current Corp product will only get an upgrade to 5M as any higher would probable lead to a lot of trouble..not to mentiom the HUGE montly cost!!!

I know Eircom like forcing people who need phat pipes to purchase leased lines thats where the big bucks are and they would lose huge profits if people started getting cheap affordable BB. Hence the reason why most of you are stuck with crappy 128k u/l speeds and capped. It's not about Eircom being unable to do this, I know a load of engineers in that ompany and the entire network is wrigged with the latest Juniper gear and is fully ADSL2.

Once again rip off Ireland has come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

DingChavez wrote:
    Eircom will probably send an E-mail that will give 2cent off our next bill if you spend an hour filling out a Christmas survey..

lol so true!

btw, don't want to sound ungreatful but, giving 6/0.5 and then taking it away really sucks! it's real easy to get used to that kind of speed, and later when you are back to your normal 2/12.8 you feel really empty inside *sniff* and Christmas is not really a good time for giving high speeds, I mean who will use it? Christmas is the time to spend time with family and take some time off the computers, at least for me it is.

I hope Smart are testing and will keep those speeds or atleast upgrade soon after downgrading smart customers.

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    <snip> don't want to sound ungreatful <snip>

Hence the ungrateful bit then ;)

Garfield.

Hence the ungrateful bit then ;)

Garfield.

I can't be ungrateful, I don't even have Smart BB :*(
    have the telephone though ;)

Oh how I'd love to be a bit ungrateful SmartBB user ;)

CyberGhost wrote:
    I can't be ungrateful, I don't even have Smart BB :*(
    have the telephone though ;)
    Oh how I'd love to be a bit ungrateful SmartBB user ;)
    Dear Santa,

Can we please have loads of ungrateful SmartBB customers next year? Ideally ones whose principal complaint is that they can only get 5Mb out of their promotional 6Mb line.

Garfield.

lol I hope, I hope :)

Dear Santa,

Can we please have loads of ungrateful SmartBB customers next year? Ideally ones whose principal complaint is that they can only get 5Mb out of their promotional 6Mb line.

Garfield.

lol SAnta give him all the IBB moaners too !!

Drapper wrote:
    lol SAnta give him all the IBB moaners too !!
    Letter Addendum

Dear Santa,

We're looking for unreasonable happy customers, not reasonable unhappy customers.

And a pony. Thanks,

Garfield.

Letter Addendum

Dear Santa,

We're looking for unreasonable happy customers, not reasonable unhappy customers.

And a pony. Thanks,

Garfield.

Dude the best humoured Broadband Company has to go to SMART !

BTW the people of BLanch and surrounding areas demand your presence!

Why not take a spur of the T50????? Magnet are

Drapper wrote:
    Why not take a spur of the T50????? Magnet are
    Drapper,

We manage/ part own the T50, so we're working on it! If for no other reason than to get our IT Manager off our backs :)

Garfield.

good man ! Any plans to FTTH ?

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    good man ! Any plans to FTTH ?
    Drapper,

Old news, believe it or not. We've quite a few FTTH sites live, or under build. Magnet get much better PR than us for this. Well done Magnet. But we're there too, possibly even earlier and more coverage, though I'm not that close to that project.

Garfield.

Advertisement