Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodka

Options
  • 13-06-2002 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I'm quite partial to an old smirnoff (neat or inthe form of a Blue Lagoon cocktail) but recently the taste appears to vary considerably depending on which watering hole I' m frequenting.
    Has anyone else noticed or maybe its just my tastebuds ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Do you mean tastes funny, or tastes watered down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Or they're pouring cheap and nasty Vodka into Smirnoff bottles?

My brother used to work in bar on the Northside of Dublin that used to do this with the house whisky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I cant stand vodka so i guess i am absolutely no help here , . I think i have a drink problem , got to go bye bye .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I reckon the palace waters down their vodka, but only slightly, and its still really cheap during the week. (2 euro a shot)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Speaking from experience(worked in hotel/niteclub)
    The smirnoff bottles are normally filled with cheap vodka, also out of date kegs are the norm in nite clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

mmm vodka....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Some places even water Baileys down with cream. That's quite rare though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

I worked in numerous clubs and pubs. Generally these days you have to specifically order Smirnoff - even though they dont charge you differently, and in some cases in some **** holes they just fill up the Smirnoff bottles with the cheap stuff or water it down in the bottle. I've even seen places serve pints half full of slops. Always watch your drink being served and stand to the side of the bar so you can see behind the taps and it lets the barperson know that you are watching. I love vodka....yeahhhhh!!! And its pretty damn **** if you dont get Smirnoff, as there is a big difference in taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Referring back to my experience in a nite club, you get people coming up and asking for say "2 vodkas and a Red Bull!, and when you give them Boru/Hazzar etc. they give you a look of utter disgust as if you just pee`ed in it or something and then they`d say "Jaysis have yis no feckin smirnoff, i only drink smirnoff"

In short everyone thinks they are some sorta Connoisseur when in the end they wouldn`t know the friggin difference anyway.

one time this chap was hounding me all nite looking for a free drink, so in the end i got a glass with water in it, pretended i filled it with vodka and handed it to him, he downed it in one and give me the old wink fair play look.

Those were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 scenic

The vodka I'm drinking is definitely vodka but definitely not smirnoff - this has happenned in more than one establishment - they still charge you smirnoff prices though - this has to be illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by scenic
    The vodka I'm drinking is definitely vodka but definitely not smirnoff - this has happenned in more than one establishment - they still charge you smirnoff prices though - this has to be illegal

Depends...if you ordered a Smirnoff and they gave you generic crap vodka, that would be illegal, if you just ordered Vodka, you probably have no comeback...but Smirnoff would...

So what I would do is ring Gilbeys, who are the agents here for Smirnoff, see do the have a customer/satisfaction line and explain your story to them, make sure you can give times dates locations etc.

Most major brands have spent a packet to become big and have no problem spending a few bob to protect that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Borzoi
    So what I would do is ring Gilbeys, who are the agents here for Smirnoff, see do the have a customer/satisfaction line and explain your story to them, make sure you can give times dates locations etc.

Too right. Irish people don't complain enough. We bitch a lot. Proper complaining we don't do - requires too much effort I suppose. Gilbeys would probably give their eye-teeth to catch a brace of pubs putting cheapo vodka into Smirnoff bottles.

Advertisement