Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A form of Dyslexia?

Options
  • 19-05-2002 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever I am to read aloud I look at the words but they make no sense, I miss words, I misinterpreted words etc.

I don't think its nerves, I've tried reading aloud to myself to see if it was but it was the same thing, it made no sense!

Reading to myself, i.e. in me ed! I'm grand but when it comes to verbalising the words... I’m gone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Make an appointment with an educational psycholgist. You will do a reem of tests and then you will know if you are dyslexic or psychotic :)...

Stay away from School counciler psychologists. They generally ignore disabilities unless you appear as an idiot, which you oviously aren't....

I have the same problem. I am dyslexic. It something to do with trying to read ahead instead of just linear reading...

Go find out

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you tried just going as slow as is possible to get your brain linked with your eyes. You may have to go at a word every 10 seconds but if you perfect it you can speed yourself back up maybe.

It's like playing the guitar, you start off slow and get faster - after years of not playing you have to start off slow again.

(This is more of a medical* thing btw does it really belong here in PI ? ;))

*this is not a medical forum, my advise is you consult your local GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Gordon
    (This is more of a medical* thing btw does it really belong here in PI ? ;))
    *this is not a medical forum, my advise is you consult your local GP. [/B]
    I don't know if its medical, I may just be inexperienced :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Actually strangely enough I get this - I've never considered it a problem as such, but if I have to read something out loud I trip over myself constantly because my brain is reading ahead of where my eyes are constantly. I get the same trouble writing in handwriting (not typing) - I'm still writing the end of one sentence but my thoughts are halfway through the next, so I end up making a godawful mess of the whole thing.

Bit weird for someone who writes for a living, but hey... Like I said, never really been a huge problem, unless I'm doing a bit of television work where they want me to use an autocue - which I have to politely decline on the grounds of not wanting to look like a total bloody idiot. :)

I suppose i am just geting ahead of myself, usually if i read something once or twice b4 reading aloud its alrite though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used to do this a lot while simply talking. I used to speak really fast and quite quietly (until I got a job in a callcentre) and every second sentence I would trip up over my words, esp when nervous. It's funny, it was obvious that my mouth simply couldn't keep up with my brain, 'cause the entire reason I was tripping up is because I coud hear 2 dialogues - what I was saying through my mouth and what my brain was saying - brain was always about 4 words ahead of my mouth :D.

As someone else said, try take it slowly. Most people aren't used to reading aloud, but plenty of people are well used to reading their head - especially us reading a few hundred threads a week on a bulletin board. Your brain is reading the text much faster than your mouth can say it!!! :D Look at each word as you say it, and say it loudly. The first few times, you probably won't remember any of the text you've just read, because you've had to concentrate so hard on just saying it!!!

:)

Well i feel a bit better about it now, knowing i'm not alone!
    cheer's mateys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I don't get the reading-ahead thing, but I get the tripping-over-words-when-speaking thing sometimes, like my mouth doesn't keep up with the speech-flow from my brain. I also sometimes try to say two words at the same time, saying some hybrid word that makes no sense and ends up with people looking at me like i'm a nutcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Sico
    I also sometimes try to say two words at the same time, saying some hybrid word that makes no sense and ends up with people looking at me like i'm a nutcase.

I live for that, t'is great fun. I used to write poetry that way, just write without thinking and I'd get wierd undictionarised words appearing on pagelets of my book. How else is the dictionary going to move on without hybrids?
    /English Lahndon accent - Thats bleedin genetics mate, advancement of the wordy gene pool an' all that, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

i have always had a problem with reading, not to myself but outloud, it is weird but everytime i had to read outloud i would nearly break out into a cold sweat, hated it and could never understand why, wasnt shyness as such as anyone who knows me knows that i aint shy in anyway, but it always bothered me. The same with meeting a new group of ppl always found myself sitting back and remaining quiet for a bit for the simple reason i would always start stuttering or somthing which not my ussual manner.

Just thought i would share

• Advertisement
Advertisement