Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin Ferris arrested in Kerry

• 11-03-2002 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

The arrests of Provos down in Kerry is obviously an interference by the police in the political process.

Fianna Eireann does not support Provisional Sinn Fein but any democrat would have to oppose these arrests.

We think it shows how happy the Free State is now, how sure they are that they can knock the Provos about like this without knocking the 'process'.

It's just a case of 'We've got what we want off you. If you want to play ball with us anymore you'll have to follow our rules'.

RTE News:

Ferris arrested in "vigilante" investigation

Monday,

Martin Ferris Questioned at Killarney Garda Station

Gardaí have arrested Sinn Féin's general election candidate in North Kerry, Martin Ferris. The arrest was made as part of the investigation into a so-called vigilante attack in the county last December.

Mr Ferris was arrested at his home by a team of detectives this morning. He is being questioned at Killarney Garda Station.

He is the sixth member of his party, including his director of elections in North Kerry James Sheehan, to be arrested in connection with the abduction of a man near his home in Castleisland on 7 December.

The man was bundled into the back of his car, driven to an isolated area and beaten before his car was burned out. The attack was subsequently claimed by the self-styled Concerned Parents Against Drugs and €15,000 worth of cannabis resin was later seized by Gardaí following a tip-off from this group to The Kerryman newspaper.

Martin Ferris is being questioned at Killarney Garda Station under section four of the Criminal Justice Act. He can be held for up to 12 hours. He has denied any knowledge of or Sinn Féin involvement in vigilante activity in Kerry.

Sinn Féin's Chief Negotiator Martin McGuinness has been in direct contact with senior officials in the Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Justice to complain about the arrest.

He earlier described Mr Ferris' arrest as a campaign of harassment by Gardaí in Kerry against his party. He called on Taoiseach Bertie Ahern to intervene.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

The arrests of Provos down in Kerry is obviously an interference by the police in the political process.
    Do you have any proof that he is or isn't involved in vigilante activities? If he is involved, then he should be sentenced and put in jail. If he isn't involved, then he should walk free. Either way, the gardai have every right to investigate it as they would any other case.

Out of curiousity, are you actually going to read or reply to any of the responses to the posts you've made so far? You seem to only want to post press releases with a little comment from yourself and then... nothing. Is it because the use of logical debate and argument is not something "Fianna Eireann" is familiar with?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sorry I disagree with you here. If he has been arrested then there is some proof that he has a connection with this vigilante problem. He should now co-operate with the Gardai to make sure his name is cleared as soon as possible.

One thing should be made clear here as well. There is one police force in the republic "The Gardai", there is one army in the republic "The Irish Armed Forces" the sooner republicans of all ilk realise this and support them fully without having their own little "organisations" behind the scenes then the better.

Do Fianna Eireann support the Gardai 100% or do you just do it when it suits you ?

As a democrat I salute the Gardai in this arrest, its should send a signal out that people or "organisations" should not take the law into their own hands.

Gandalf.

BTW you had better start to engage in debate on these topics and not just starting them or I will be banning you from this forum :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

so is this the new Fianna Eireann board? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fianna Eireann

I seem to have disturbed people a little. As I said in an earlier post I was getting used to the rules of the board. I have no problem replying to posts. I think to date I have posted four posts. The first one was really a kind of a test to see if I had signed up properly and it did seem to have some kind of relevance to the discussion, even if it wasn't placed in the proper thread.

The other ones I posted was the report from the Derry News which I thought was interesting and the same with the report about Ferris getting arrested and a fourth one was in reply to the moderator.

But anyway, hello :)

About the Ferris arrest the reason why I think it's interesting is that the police are very clearly going out to damage an election candidate. It may be very possible that Provos had some involvement in 'rough' justice in Kerry; it's doubtful though, that Ferris was personally involved.

Of course, if a political party is trying to involve itself in the constitutional process it shouldn't be involved in other activity. So out of the Ferris arrest and the others in Kerry, we are seeing the police getting involved in the political process and we are seeing the 'slightly constitutional' Provisionals getting their wings clipped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by Fianna Eireann
    About the Ferris arrest the reason why I think it's interesting is that the police are very clearly going out to damage an election candidate. It may be very possible that Provos had some involvement in 'rough' justice in Kerry; it's doubtful though, that Ferris was personally involved.
    How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

It may be very possible that Provos had some involvement in 'rough' justice in Kerry...
    Let's call a spade a spade here -- what happened in Kerry wasn't "justice". The word is "vigilantes".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fianna Eireann does not support Provisional Sinn Fein but any democrat would have to oppose these arrests.

We think it shows how happy the Free State is now, how sure they are that they can knock the Provos about like this without knocking the 'process'.
    The fact that the phrase "Free State" is being bandied about shows how much respect they have for democracy.
    Do Fianna Eireann support the Gardai 100% or do you just do it when it suits you ?

If they (republicans in general) did the cowards responsible for Omagh wouldnt be free now.

Personally Im glad that Sinn Fein are being taught a lesson in constitutional politics and why they cant bring their private army of thugs and bar room patriots around with them in case people dont agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Just like Justice Flood is going out of his way to damage Finana Fail by continuing to jail Liam Lawlor.

I think some ppl here think that "arrested" automatically means "guilty", but it doesn't. No one (to the best of my knowledge) has yet being cherged with the offence. All I see is the Gardai "making inquiries" into the incident. If ppl don't volunteer to questioning, make false statements, hinder an inquiry, etc. they get "arrested" so the gardai can get to the Truth.

As for Ferris being personally involved, I don't think he was. he probably wasn't actually there when they beat 10 kinds of Sh*t out of the Sc*mb*g, but he more than likely know somwthing about it.

You should also read this article in the Kerryman. Here is the most important part of it.
    However, despite these strenuous denials, The Kerryman can state that it is clear from sources within Sinn Fein who have spoken to this newspaper that there are definite links between a member of the party and CPAD.

btw I am a staunch Repulican and Nationalist, but not a member of any policial or paramilitary organisation. I love my country but I hate bully boys. And that is all most of these ppl are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Would you rather a world where politicians were given diplomatic immunity. If they were then we would never find out about the antics that houghy and his buddies got up to and even if we did there would be nothing we could do about it.

As I recall the same thing was said about RTE damaging fine gael with its no tears programme.

If it turns out that Ferris is guilty then I hope they lock him up and throw away the key whether or not he is in sinn fein.

what do you mean by rough justice.

I would call it a bunch of savages taking a man out of his home kicking the crap out of him and burning his car out.

If thats what you call justice whether it be rough or smooth then I for one am glad your type of people are not in government

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If you follow the links at the bottom of his posts you'll see that he isn't the sort of person you'll be able to reason with.

http://fianna.gq.nu has pictures of flag burning on it and everyone pictured seems ashamed to show their faces.

I'm not trying to discredit Fianna Eireann or his views. He seems to be adequately capable of accomplishing that on his own.

In his forum he professes support for the C.I.R.A. therefore he is not a democrat and should be ostracised.

Moderators, on the basis of what can be seem on his web sites it is fair to say that he wishes to incite hatred and as such should not be allowed to post in this forum.

[accidently edited this instead of quoting from it :) - Gandalf]

Originally posted by Mailman
    Moderators, on the basis of what can be seem on his web sites it is fair to say that he wishes to incite hatred and as such should not be allowed to post in this forum.

This is been discussed.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Mailman
    In his forum he professes support for the C.I.R.A. therefore he is not a democrat and should be ostracised.
    That's a very good point. What exactly is a CIRA supporter doing on a "Politics" forum, when the CIRA wants nothing to do with either politics or democracy? I think we need a "Murdering Children and Pregnant Women" forum. Seems a more apt place for CIRA apologists to hang out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe it's me but doesn't taking a 6 year old away from her father and abandoning her on the road side sound more like 'kidnapping' than 'justice'.

Would you suggest than the Garda turn a blind eye to criminal activity when they realise there is a politician involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Gents...

in the past, you have been asked to attack the content, not the poster.

if you have disagreements with the CIRA, Fianna Eireann (the organisation) or anything else, then fine - you may expound on that, but keep it relevant to the topic.

Do not, however, attack the poster. He (or she) is as entitled to his opinion as each of us is to ours, and it is not acceptable to attack him (or her). Attack the content he/she posts if you disagree with it, but not the individual.

The moderators are currently considering what our stance is to be regarding "representatives" of any organisation on these boards. Until that decision is made, Fianna Eireann is no different to any other poster on the system, and should be accorded the required respect.

If you have an issue with the presence of Fianna Eireann on the boards, please contact myself or gandalf via email or PM. We will discuss the matter with deVore and come to a decision.

In the meantime, this is not the forum for a kangaroo court deciding who should have the right to post here, so dont try turning it into one. Voice your complaints and concerns to the the relevant parties or not at all.

Thank you.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Awww, spoilsport bonkey, I was just looking forward to the witch hunt with the rest of the posse!

Referring to the organisation I would not hold much respect for Fianna Éireann. I have nothing against republicanism as a doctrine, but I do feel that it (like so many other doctrines) has become a scapegoat for the unscrupulous to peddle anti-social and insular opinions.

In relation to allegations that Ferris' arrest was politically motivated, I broadly feel that this is little more than republican hype - crying foul whenever the law is found 'interfering' in their matters, yet denouncing from the heavens other political parties and individuals under suspicion of corruption.

Vigilantism is illegal. It is illegal in every free and democratic society in this world. People do not have the right to take the law into their own hands, no matter the provocation in question. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) the current consensus is that there is a very tangible link between Sinn Féin and these vigilante activities in Kerry (and other parts of the country).

Therefore the lawful guardians of the peace would (IMO) be negligent were they not to investigate these links to the fullest extent permissible. It is not about political favouritism, it is about the law, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The man was bundled into the back of his car, driven to an isolated area and beaten before his car was burned out. The attack was subsequently claimed by the self-styled Concerned Parents Against Drugs and €15,000 worth of cannabis resin was later seized by Gardaí following a tip-off from this group to The Kerryman newspaper.
    Counterfitting and bank robbery not paying the bills these days? Or perhaps just getting rid of the competition in the drug trade before moving in to take over?

Something has to pay for the lifestyle of our 'patriots', I suppose...

...and some things never change, I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Or perhaps just getting rid of the competition in the drug trade before moving in to take over?

Careful now....... everyone knows the Ira dont do drugs. I see that Ferris is accusing the gardai of assaulting him in custody. Not a hard thing to visualise actually, the words "poetic" and "justice" spring to mind.

"Whats that you said about the gardai not being in charge down here?"

Cute playing by FF all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

I think this will settle it, A report in yesterdays Examiner

SF back down on ‘assault’ pledge

By Donal Hickey
    SINN FÉIN yesterday backed down on a pledge to make evidence available to the public that one of its leading members had been assaulted in garda custody.
    General election candidate in Kerry North, Cllr Martin Ferris, claimed he was assaulted when being questioned in Killarney garda station on Monday in connection with a vigilante attack in Castleisland on December 7 last.

Cllr Ferris was examined by a doctor and Sinn Féin chairman Mitchel McLaughlin yesterday said the medical evidence could be examined by anyone.

‘‘If Mr Ferris is a victim of assault, the physical evidence will be available to see,’’ he told Philip Boucher Hayes on the RTÉ radio Today programme. Mr McLaughlin added that the medical report could be accessed independently.

He also compared the situation to what was happening in Zimbabwe, with a general election candidate here and his supporters being subjected to what he described as daily abuse and harassment.

“He (Ferris) has received injuries which are physically available for people to see. Damage was done to Mr Ferris while in police custody. It’s an issue for all of society,’’ Mr McLaughlin said.

He called on the Government and Justice Minister John O’Donoghue to make inquiries as to how someone contesting the general election could be arrested and assaulted while in custody.

However, when the Irish Examiner contacted the Sinn Féin head office later yesterday with a view to getting details of the medical report and taking photographs of any injuries to Cllr Ferris, a spokesman said the party would not be making such details available. No reasons for the change of heart were given.

Cllr Ferris, who was held for 12 hours, lodged a formal complaint with the garda authorities, in the presence of solicitor Michael Kelly, before leaving the station.

‘‘I was caught by the throat, had my arms twisted. I was pushed around the room,’’ he said. ‘‘I requested a doctor and he noted the marks on my arms and body.’’

He said he would also be writing to the Justice Minister, but Mr O’Donoghue has stressed that the case is purely a garda operational matter in which he has no function, or discretion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

it's doubtful though, that Ferris was personally involved

having lived in Kerry all my life I've heard people gloating that Ferris ran dealers out of the county

those same people p1ss on jerry mccabes grave and consider ferris a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Is this a record for a zombie thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This has to be the oldest thread I've ever seen resurrected. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the holy feck? Like Dr Who Bill and Ted boards can travel in time and spaced out

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

Ferris and Adams will be gone as soon as Leo calls the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

This thread’s almost old enough to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m just posting before it’s locked

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How the fcuk can someone actually find a thread this old to comment on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I didn't even know Boards.ie was around that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

A good retort, like revenge, is a dish served very very very very cold......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement