Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McD / BK salt

• 06-02-2002 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Something in another thread (McD vs BK) reminded me of something I noticed a while ago....

Why is the salt in BK and McD's *round*. Proper salt is made from NaCl crystals, which are cubic. Salt in BK/McD appears to be almost perfectly round.

So, either someone is polishing the salt into shape before packing it, or its not actually what we know as salt.

Anyone notice this / know why this is???

jc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

probably me complaing about the salt that reminded you of this.. as for noticing it.. cant say i have noticed since i dont use the salt they provide..

Probably not REAL salt.. some sort of hybrid that tastes like salt but is cheap to make.. dont know is normal salt naturally collected or is it manufactured? Could be what the difference here is.. and is there a difference in sea salt crystals and normal table salt crystals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Micky D's salt probably contains beef extracts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Like their chips which is why veggies are taking legal action

Actually my mom brought home supermacs the other night so i opened a salt packet which i assume is the same as mcd's anyway yeah some of the salt crystals were sort of round as opposed to the expected crystal shape... not all though.. i then got some table salt and these are a LOT finer.. like comparing normal sugar to castor sugar. I roled the larger Supermacs crystals between thumb and forfinger and the ones that were not round started to take that shape... so i imagine the reason for the shape is through manufacturing.. and normal table salt is ground finer where as cheap fast food salt is left at a larger size and whatever way its manufactured some or most of the crystals are rounded... thats only a theory. like all probably has some holes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I reckon its what the whole family do , they pick a restaraunt , fast food or other wise, go in start playing with their food and claim they are texture testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Maybe its ergonomically designed to be more pleasing to the customer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe they use a low (or no) sodium salt that crystalises differently? Or they use a particular size salt partical and grind larger particals to that size.

Oh, the beef extract was in the cooking oil (in minute, but actual traces), not the fries themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Saruman
    Like their chips which is why veggies are taking legal action

Actually my mom brought home supermacs the other night so i opened a salt packet which i assume is the same as mcd's anyway yeah some of the salt crystals were sort of round as opposed to the expected crystal shape... not all though.. i then got some table salt and these are a LOT finer.. like comparing normal sugar to castor sugar. I roled the larger Supermacs crystals between thumb and forfinger and the ones that were not round started to take that shape... so i imagine the reason for the shape is through manufacturing.. and normal table salt is ground finer where as cheap fast food salt is left at a larger size and whatever way its manufactured some or most of the crystals are rounded... thats only a theory. like all probably has some holes!
    How cares!! I mean you actually to the time to look at the 2 different types of salt. What age are you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Could be potassium salt rather than sodium salt. Or something. I've no idea what shape potassium salt crystals are BTW.

Advertisement