Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Good stuff felixdhc!

I never made through the doors of the Asylum either but have been to the Temple of Sound of quite a number of occasions. ;)

I am a bit like yourself. I met my wife in the Globe one Sunday after a big night. We started chatting (I was still flying) and agreed to go on a date.

Shortly after she became pregnant. She was only on a years working visa so I decided that I would get a permanent visa to go to Australia. We had our second daughter 5 months ago and I haven't been back to the ol' sod in 5 years or haven't touched X since. :(

Next time I go back to Dublin I should get my brother to put on an event playing all those old house / techno tracks from his nights in the Ormond Multi Media Centre, Shaft, Purple Onion and other places. He has been in San Francisco for the past 8 yrs but is back in Dublin now.

I should really set up some fund to get a homesick lad back for his meds and a dose of doof doof...

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lizzyitis

Ha - jesus this is mad. I just put a search in on Google to see if anything was out there about the best club ever SIDES and look what I got - A bunch of headcases that were there in the day. Seems like some of you literally have it down to a t.

I used to go to SIDES in 1992 - on and was the best time of my life. Used to go to The Olympic then down to SIDES and then on to the Asylum or sometimes G1's. Anybody remember that place (up over the ice skating place in Phibsboro)? The good old days or maybe the bad. I really think I came out the other side in good shape as alot of people I know died from drugs etc.

Anyway - I'm still raving and having a good time at the minute. Current place of wondering is The Pod which is rockin' at the minute with the POGO/Bodytonic crowd.

If anybody is interested I have all the tapes Mick Walsh & Pat Hyland made from Sides/Gavity. Sound is ****e though but there you go.

As for Mick Walsh - he is doing some nights here and there. He is playing Austria next month aswell!!

As for growing up and having kids ect...it has to be done but you can still have a good time in the process and get out for a good dance!!! :):)

RAVE ON PEOPLE!!!!

Reckon I have the biggest collection of flyers from the early 90's too. Anybody have a ticket for the rave in the castle in 1991?!? Thought not! :):)

BaZmO* wrote:
    Was the "Heaven On Earth" Rave in the Point in 92/93 not the first big rave here? The Prodigy were the headline act.

B.

I was there in all my glory!! Did you go to the rave down at Dolymount Beach afterwards? Got down there and there was no music!! :) Still didn't stop the headcases dancing to no music!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

crazy, its goood to read about this stuff.
    warren k is my bro! :D

i remember him years ago with mick walsh, N R GEX!!

i have some of my bro's latest stuff in anybody is interested... its more electro than the stuff he did years ago, but its good all the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

i have some of my bro's latest stuff in anybody is interested... its more electro than the stuff he did years ago, but its good all the same.

Any chance you can find out a track listing from an old tape he did? It was and still is one of my favourite old mixes. It was from around '94 or '95 and had these tracks on it: (these are random, not in this order on the mix)

Eat Static - Lost in Time
    Finitribe - Brand New (Sourmash Mix)
    Pump Panel - Ego Acid (floatation mix) - this was the last track on the mix
    Boomerang - Damn Tuff EP (think it was the track, Inner Space from the B Side - cant go checking now as records in a mess at the moment!)
    Emmanuel Top - Acid Phase
    Phax Feat Steve Bug - Tritop Remix
    Infinity Project - Stimuli

These are the only tracks I got names of over the years and picked up on vinyl. Would love to know the rest! Would also be interested in hearing his new stuff.

• Advertisement

I heard Warren's track he done there the year before last the 'Bo Selecta' tune.......I thought it was deadly. Not sure what he done with it after that.

Give you a laugh.....two fellas I know got NR:GEX and a Dove tattooed on their arms in 1993. We used to all hang around with Mick, Pat, Warren, Jay Carey & Caf. :) Only one of the tattooed is alive now I wonder if he got it covered up or left it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭keenc

Hiya, i am new to the board and came across this post and i wonder does anybody out there have the Mick Walsh Classics Tape would love to listen to it again or Dj Pressure's House 10 Any help or info greatly apreciated,i have loads of dance classic mp3's if you would like to swap and some old mick walsh mixes and pressure but missing the above 2
    Many Thanks In Advance

Peace.....Respect......And Keep It!.....Oldskool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mister Sandman

jonny68 wrote:
    Mate any chance of uploading these tapes as MP3's here?would dearly love to hear some of these :)

Would LOVE to get to hear some of those mixes as well if any of them are around...

Especially the Ed Case and Pressure ones.

Used to buy a load of those tapes from Music Power and Abbey Discs (the original one in the Abbey Mall), but over the years, have managed to lose them all. :confused:

Nice one..

Sandman

Yeah kudos to whoever can knock up some old Pressure, Mick Walsh, Ed Case and Warren K MP3's put 'em online to give us old skoolers some serious flashbacks.

Here you's go something to wet your appetite Dj Pressure Live in The Asylum
    Enjoy!!:) http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=16ZJEMXJIBIHF2AQ571MLP684O
    More to follow:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

keenc wrote:

Fantastic :D Anyone of you remember Superman track that used to be played week in week out?

please please can anyone id the track at 42minutes??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

keenc wrote:

Thanks,I enjoyed that.....any more from around the same time...?

Belfunk wrote:
    please please can anyone id the track at 42minutes??
    Hiya glad you's enjoyed the mix This Track is Cosmonautica By Virtualmismo Hers is Part 2 http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=142KLCXQ5MX232P5WFVHQNE40C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

niptuck wrote:
    I was there in all my glory!! Did you go to the rave down at Dolymount Beach afterwards? Got down there and there was no music!! :) Still didn't stop the headcases dancing to no music!! :)

That's hilarious! I was there too and ended up back out on Malahide beach with a rake of people, same deal no music but everyone dancing! hehe! Just got really misty eyed reading this thread, favorites were the Olympic (was there ever a night it didn't get raided or is that dodgy memories playing tricks?) and Sides (apart from one night we got bottled just before we went in by a bunch of scumbags who'd just been refused, good ole bouncers though, picked up the end of one of the broken bottles and handed it to me saying get up there and slit that p*icks throat! :rolleyes: ). Temple of Sound was good too, never seemed to make it down the Asylum though the memories of years 90 thru 93 are slightly patchy in places :D

keenc wrote:

Can't thank you enough. Been wanting to know the name of that virtualmismo track for years. Seems like you've got aload of classics on mp3 ?? you don't use soulseek do you? Think your the only person who knows Spiritual North - Superman

Nah mate i dont use soulseek i have all these tracks on vinyl just converting them over to mp3's if theres anything you are looking for in particular let me know see what i can do:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

keenc wrote:

Top man cheers mate wouldn't be suprised if i was there that nite :D

Nice one keenc!

The first track 'Beautful Morning' reminds me of a party I was at on Dame Street about ten years ago. It was put on at about 7am when everyone was off their noggins or passed out. It was one of those tunes that got everyone off their feet...

How could I ever forget this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

****ing nice 1 kenc cracking stuff m8 u got anything by ed case or anymore pressure stuff? wud really luv to hear sum more stuff like dat

Respect & Keep It OLD SKOOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Anyone remember Alien/UFO on Sir John Rogersons Quay? That was some scumhole! Great tunes though.

The Ormonde Multimedia Centre was good as well.

Here is some ed.case for you's part 1 http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SVIZJR5Q7YV10QKA8DD36B5ZV:) Part 2 To follow:D

Mate - can you check that link and repost? Coming up as an invalid link for me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good job mate!

Sorry about the last link it was the smiley at the end of it anyway part 2 as promised http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=35ORLJOR5HF5X3R4KF6AD7Y8K5
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Nice 1 agen kenc dat ed case mix was top notch!
    Dose Any1 got dat last track on part 2 of the ed case mix i know its Guru josh's - Infinity but im not quite sure which remix? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Felixdhc wrote:
    I really regret having never gone to the Asylum

I gotta tell you - if you enjoyed the TOS the Asylum would probably not have been up your street. Truth be told it was a rough kip - all the crap that was happening in Sides towards the end wasn't much compared to an average night the Asylum. I know some people would probably disagree - but for me it was very much a spot of last resort. No reflection on the djs though - especially Warren K - top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Keenc, I don't suppose you have any of the old Pressure mixes, specifically the House Pressure series, and even more specifically House Pressue 6? Or the Asylum Special?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement