Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Hobbs - Politically Biased?

Options
124»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jank wrote:
    It may be true for Spain and eastern europe.

But what about, Germany, France, England, USA, Italy.

These are all places where wages are about the same if not higher then here.
    Yet things are soooo much cheaper over there than here.

We go to France each year and some things are way cheaper (wine, coffee, alcohol, fruit/veg, eating out (bif you don't take drink), water) but plenty things are the same - razors, nappies, toilet rolls, pasta ; and some are dearer petrol (!!), milk (no such thing as 1.19 for 2l own brand - its 86c a litre for Carrefour own brand).

In fact over the last few years we have noticed prices in France creeping up and the newspaper reports bear that out as well - they too discuss rip-off France type stuff and were blaming it for the reduction in French holidaying and home this summer and the reduction in the amount they spent...

None of this is trying to justify Irish prices but more to point out that other countries are having a hard time as well...

Last night's show was appalling. He has turned the whole issue into a running gag sequence, Eddie with an arrow in his head, Eddie with a dog, Eddie with a jeep, Eddie phoning Psychics Live, Eddie with a budgie called 'Tweetie' etc. etc. Last night was more than just bad economics - the standard charge - but bad television. The lowest point came when he made a big joke out of some Lithuanian walking dogs, and when the audience were all in stitches he told them it was not a laughing matter at all.

Still, at least he did remind us of that Yeats line about fumbling in the greasy till. So it's not a new complaint at all Eddie? Perhaps a show about the Irish being a nation of complainers since the foundation of the State might be apt...only this time he might drop the 'we, the small people' routine which he churned out last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hobbs is on the Late Late Show on Friday, face to face with his critics (apparently). I'd put up with Plank Kenny just to watch that, I think.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

TmB wrote:
    Hobbs is on the Late Late Show on Friday, face to face with his critics (apparently). I'd put up with Plank Kenny just to watch that, I think.......

Hobbs said on the last word on Today FM that he would not be appearing on the show, and that he had never agreed to appear in the first place. He said something to the effect of news had "moved on" since the program, so it wasn't worth talking about :confused:

eoin_s wrote:
    He said something to the effect of news had "moved on" since the program, so it wasn't worth talking about :confused:

I take it he won't be doing a repeat next year.

Wonder will he collect his cheque from RTE this week, or has he not moved on so much as to forget that bit...

Nothing like a good debate, and clearly Eddie wants nothing like a good debate.

• Advertisement

I think there is a big misunderstanding going on at the moment.

"Rip off republic" focuses on the cost of goods and tax and all that, and the main argument against "everything is cheaper in Europe" line is that overheads are cheaper. Wages, lighting, rent etc.

I think we (as an entire nation) are completely missing the point. We are for want of a better phrase, greedy, intolerable, money scrounging, get one over your next door neighbour ba$tards.
    It should be about "Standard of Living" not how much (or lack of) coinage is in your pocket. I fervently believe that here in Ireland, we have a pi$$ poor standard of living. I was a bartender in Austria for a year. I earned €5 per hour + tips. It wasn't a glamorous bar by any means, and the Chef (manager/owner) took home slightly more than his staff. We worked a 4 day 8-10 hour week, and my take home pay was usually around €500 (inc. tips).
    My outgoings in Austria:
    €300 a month rent or €75 a week
    Cigs, €2.70 a pack x 7 days = 18.90
    My food bill would be around €40
    We always kept a bottle of champagne in the fridge too: €28 for Veuve Cliquot
    Average price of a pint: around €3.10 for local Lager - €4.50 for imported beer like Guinness or Bulmers.

Could you compare that to Ireland?
    My average weekly wage is 5 day week 8 hour day = €550 after tax
    €505 monthly rent in an apartment 1/2 the size of the one in Vienna
    Cigs, 6.35 a pack x 7 days = 44.45
    Food bill would be around €60
    Wouldn't keep champagne in fridge as I wouldn't be able to really afford it. But it's about €50
    Average price of a pint:€3.90 to €5

So there's my "shopping basket"

If you have ever been to Vienna, you know how beautiful the City is. All workers get free medical and dental work. Street cleaners get paid the same as a bottom rung MP, so there is actually a list you are put on if you want to be a street cleaner. You can buy alcohol 24 hrs a day. Ive shared beers with Juknkies who don't need to Mug you as they are (not exactly accepted) but their condition is more understood than it is here. They get paid more social if their drug tests show the levels are lower than last time they were tested.

So thats it. Wages lower (not by much) Standard of living immensely higher. People are not greedy, they haven't lost that community spirit yet. Oh and most people would rent, as it's cheaper than buying your own place.

I think we are to hold the majority of the blame. The Govt. has f*cked us over time and time again, but they do it, by huge salaries, Consultancy fees that don't answer anything. Various fiascos - roadworks, e-voting etc. And to say that the co-alition has squandered millions is an understatement. But however, the buck stops with us. That's you and me. We were the ones that said, "Mary across the road sold her house for 250,000, do you think I could get 280,000?" We are the ones that ring in sick everytime we feel a slight tummy pain or had one too many the night before, losing productivity, We are the ones that spend a fortune on credit cards and paying (roughly) 18% interest on them. We are the people that charge person "x" so much for a service, but person"y" a little more for the same service as, "they look like they can afford it"

I think it's time to grow up as a country and stop being such miserable greedy batards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

you go on holiday and then whenyou come back you feel you are being ripped off.

True but would you like to earn the lower take home pay that the people in those countries earn??

I've worked/lived in the US,UK and Germany and I feel Ireland is a rip off.
    I also earned a hell of a lot more there than I do here and enjoyed a higher standard of living.
    If a company isnt competitive in these countries it goes bust.
    Simple economics.

Papa Smut wrote:
    So thats it. Wages lower (not by much) Standard of living immensely higher. People are not greedy, they haven't lost that community spirit yet. Oh and most people would rent, as it's cheaper than buying your own place.

The benefits of electing a Nazi army officer President? As a matter of interest, would immigrants and Jews in Vienna share your unbridled enthusiasm for that country? I don't mean to detract from what you say - the brother and his wife and kid just spent a year in Vienna for work reasons and loved the place, but again it's easy to portray other countries as lands of milk and honey.

As for the standard of living, I believe some of Austria's own analysts put them fourth in European terms in standard of living...and Ireland second!! But then again, I guess somewhere on an Austrian board there is someone saying how good things are here, we don't elect the Kurt Waldheim's and Jorg Haider's of the world, we don't have a policy of rehabilitation of former nazis, we don't have a leader who described Hitler's social policy as 'exemplary', we have more toleration for minorities, we don't bind gag suffocate and kill deportees (check out the Martin Omofuma case in Austria) etc. etc. Utopia doesn't exist - if the Irish are guilty of anything, it's an obsession with ourselves and how we compare to other countries.

http://wko.at/wp/extra/standort_analyse/oesterreich/AUT_2005_08_EN_A4.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Papa Smut wrote:
    I think we are to hold the majority of the blame. The Govt. has f*cked us over time and time again, but they do it, by huge salaries, Consultancy fees that don't answer anything. Various fiascos - roadworks, e-voting etc. And to say that the co-alition has squandered millions is an understatement. But however, the buck stops with us. That's you and me. We were the ones that said, "Mary across the road sold her house for 250,000, do you think I could get 280,000?" We are the ones that ring in sick everytime we feel a slight tummy pain or had one too many the night before, losing productivity, We are the ones that spend a fortune on credit cards and paying (roughly) 18% interest on them. We are the people that charge person "x" so much for a service, but person"y" a little more for the same service as, "they look like they can afford it"
    Great common sense - and don't forget the other reason why we the citizens need to take responsibility - we elected the Govt in the first place.

Advertisement