Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CA - How many hours per Week?

• 29-08-2005 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Joe5ie

I had a look at the timetable on the DCU website, but I am having trouble reading it. it looks like two different lectures go on at the same time...?

So, could anyone tell me how many hours per week in first year CA?

and is there any way that i can access the online material, for CA, before i get my username / password

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

It all depends on your options.

There are a few must-do subjects like Computer Programming (CA165), Computer Architecture (CA103 maybe) and Maths. Maybe another. Then you have your choices over physics/politics/blah blah/whatever.

That's why they can go on at same time. As for house, in first year, ummm about 13 or 14 or lectures/labs. But ideally more time spent on your own coding and studying on top of that.

Lecture notes are usually unprotected on the lecturers web pages. Don't have a list here though. Maybe some outgoing first year will oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/feed.php3?prog=CA&per=1&week1=1&week2=12&hour=1-20&template=student

Try this link....not sure if it will work......but mmmmm it looks fairly hectic alright!!! :D

+ as said in last post, depends on what modules you choose, but i expect that you would be doin well over 20hours per week if not 30!!! ENJOY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Just click on CA103 - Computer Architechture

Ray Washe, legend of a man, his notes on computer architechture. wont make a bit a sense till you start the year though!

CA165 Computer Programming

Charlie Daly's page - most importent subject in 1st year along with maths. Work hard at this as its the hardest all year subject by a country mile!!

MS120 Maths

Prob the most useless webpage, and prob the subject thats gonna cause the most dropouts this year but its not insanely hard or anything. Listen to Clancy, he comes out with some classics!!

Lecturers

go to this address and look up the personal pages of your lecturers for your modules. as far as module advice goes DONT DO ACCOUNTING unless you did it for the leaving, you wont be using a pen all year and then your expected to do accounts & shyte, not recommended!!! I would do Irish Politics, easy pass, and topics in computing another easy pass!

heres a few pearls of wisdom from me anyway, you can work hard and do well or not do a tap and scrape a pass its up to you, but you miss any labs and your gonna be catchin up all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Joe5ie

Thanks for all the info

I recommend physics as a choice. Lecturer we had was a wee legend and interest stuff covered. Quite easy if you've done it for the Leaving.

As for whoever said 20-30hours per week, ignore the man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Indeed, if you've done physics for the LC I'd thoroughly choosing it. I breezed through it in first year on the back of what I knew already. As for those who didn't do it, well its still a good option anyway, the hours are low, there isnt THAT much to learn and the tutorials are great...

As for hours per week..start off on 20 and work your way down till the exams... :D

yea, in the first semester skip the tutorials unless your miles behind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

VinnyL wrote:
    yea, in the first semester skip the tutorials unless your miles behind
    But go to all labs, easy way to pick up marks and excellent for actually learning the stuff.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

I strongly recommend French as a module. Bit of a break from the rest of the other modules which are all really annoying.. Do french, no pressure, small class and the teacher is sound with dead line etc. Best decision I made in first year. Even if you only know a bit of french do it.

Have to say i hated labs in first year. If you have a bad tutor Id recommend changing aisles as early as possible. He/she is the one that determine how well you get on in that module.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Physics for the win. It's well handy and Eamon's coooool.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~zyox/old/quotes.html
    For the Clancy quotes ;)

• Advertisement

I think atlas carried on those quotes the year after me? Not sure though...

Oh and didn't they drop the languages?

nope still german and french first thing 9am monday mornin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Hrm, I duno. He did Electronics in the first semester which is meant to be horrible...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Electronics in the first semester which is meant to be horrible...
    Too true, scraped past it and moved to Marketing in the second semseter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I wouldnt let anyone put you off electronics though. It was one of the most interesting modules I did, and I kicked the **** out the exam both semesters with 74%/87%.

Anyone else apply to be a lab tutor for next year?
    I promise to be the most dope tricked out hippy hoppy wid teh kidz teach eva.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

TomCo wrote:
    I wouldnt let anyone put you off electronics though. It was one of the most interesting modules I did, and I kicked the **** out the exam both semesters with 74%/87%.
    Bah, should've asked you for help... although in its defense the practicals were fun and its a nice help for Semeseter 2 Architecture

Yeah the labs were good, although they were really crap in second semester, we all left twice in a row once because there were no instructions, the indian lab tutor didnt know what was going on, and a knowledge of C++ was assumed :rolleyes:

how do ye apply to be a tutor for programming?? what do ye have to get exams wise??!

You get some email that you reply to, I though everyone got it?

It was around the 4th of July, the heading was Do You Like To Be A Lab Tutor Next Year?(sic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Redegg wrote:
    He/she is the one that determine how well you get on in that module.
    If you mean in terms of your continuous assessment mark then your tutor determines far less than you think.
    VinnyL wrote:
    how do ye apply to be a tutor for programming?? what do ye have to get exams wise??!
    You don't apply, they offer the positions depending on your programming results. If there is 1 tutor for every 10 students, then the top 10% are asked to be tutors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

MrPink wrote:
    You don't apply, they offer the positions depending on your programming results. If there is 1 tutor for every 10 students, then the top 10% are asked to be tutors.
    They ask a lot more, cause many turn it down.
    MrPink wrote:
    If you mean in terms of your continuous assessment mark then your tutor determines far less than you think.
    Very true. Really the tutors are just there to help you if you get stuck, and try and help you stay on schedule. Marks-wise there's not a lot they have total control over. And for most of the work you should know yourself what you got, you can always ask them why you scored what you did

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

VinnyL wrote:
    Just click on CA103 - Computer Architechture

as far as module advice goes DONT DO ACCOUNTING unless you did it for the leaving, you wont be using a pen all year and then your expected to do accounts & shyteQUOTE]

I did accounting and didn't do accounting for LC, I just used jc business cert stuff and passed comfortably, knew nothing about actual accounts.
    Also do american politics, easiest module ever

yea american politics and irish politics are great, you dont have to study for either.

accounting is just tough casue its such a change from all the programming, maths etc. your doin in every other subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

VinnyL wrote:
    accounting is just tough casue its such a change from all the programming, maths etc. your doin in every other subject
    Accounting was a piece of piss, but then again I did it for the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

cotillion wrote:
    Accounting was a piece of piss, but then again I did it for the leaving cert.

well I didn't do it in the leaving and I went to shít all lectures and I still passed with the trusty old faithful day before study

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

oh jesus, just looking at the notes and exams linked.... this is gonna suck

well i didnt go to any lectures for accounting, didnt study, and got 25%. if only i could find out where it all went wrong?? ;)

the still compensated me though!

definately politics and topics in the 1st semester if you can do both though!

eyebrows wrote:
    well I didn't do it in the leaving and I went to shít all lectures and I still passed with the trusty old faithful day before study
    Yeah but I was doing the test as well so my deadliness must have rubbed off on you, good thing I was deadly enough to get two passes then.

I'm deadly.

VinnyL wrote:
    well i didnt go to any lectures for accounting, didnt study, and got 25%. if only i could find out where it all went wrong?? ;)
    Well they ask the same thing every year from what I can remember, so maybe being born stupid???

• Advertisement
Advertisement