Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Accommodation - pros and cons?

Options
  • 23-08-2005 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey, I was offered a place for on-campus accommodation today and I was just wondering what the pros and cons of it were? Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I think it's been fairly well documented elsewhere in this forum to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Joe5ie

Im gona be stayin in larkfield and doin Computer applications. The FAQ thread said that it was a bit of a dump, is this really true? what are the chances of gettin a transfer to Hampstead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I've seen nothing about the internet access in Larkfield? Obviously it's firewalled to an extent to disallow certain illegal things, but is it still possibly to browse normally/download normally/ play games etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Joe5ie

I think, you can browse the net and download as usual but, you can't use any file sharing programs like Kazaa and Winmx, as far as i know. I also read that you can only play certain games online. Maybe someone who has already stayed in res could tell us?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Pros:
    Its ON res accom. You can wake up 20mins before your lecture and get in on time.
    Its comfortable, mostly. Depending on where you are its ensuite.
    First year res is great craic.
    Deadly speed on the connection.
    Ability to apply to live with mates.
    Gym/pool right there

Cons:
    No washing machines in apts
    No overnight guests/extorstionist prices
    Gates lock after ten so if your getting a lift home your at the main door
    Gym means the public [ie kids and parents] come in and out on Sat morn, and if your hung over!!!
    You might live with SPAS/messy people wiht no choice.
    Room inspections
    Getting locked out cost 20quid for anew card.
    No isketch.net :(

Ehh, I am sure there is more, but off the top of my head thats it. Its perfect for first year, tbh. But move out after that if you can. Or if they dont change the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What Jezjez said except...

Pros:
    Its ON res accom. You can wake up 5 mins before your lecture and get in on time. We're not all girls... :D

Everything else is true. With regards the internet connection, that costs an additional €80 per semester. Its also firewalled meaning you're reduced to simple browsing and downloading, there is internal filesharing however...
    As for games, these are a no-no outside of Steam for some reason or another so you can still play any game based around that..

Oh and chances of being transferred to Hampstead...in most cases slim to none but if you've read the other threads you may have noticed Campus Res are having a few...em.."problems" this year filling the place up so if you can go to them with a decent excuse you may have a chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

I lived in Larkfield apts for 1st year (tinyyyy)
    and Hampstead for 2nd yr. The only 3 major downfalls to res;

1) room inspections so strict, a bloody joke (eg charged 10 euro for having a few drops of water around the sink area in toilet!)
    2) the bloddy fines inposed for having visitors/partners stay past midnight. Have never been caught, but have heard of people who have
    3) you really are like a prisoner in your own home, especially if you stay there at weekends, can only access res via the gym swingy doors way. Eg: If you park car around the back you have to walk the entire way around the building, and if its night time, you have to produce res card & visitor cannot enter. Its just not worth it

Hence, Shanowen hall this year. None that crap to content with and still only 1.5 minute walk from lectures!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Jesjes wrote:
    lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ha, it was annoying when everyone on IRC was playing I couldn't.

Don't like being left out!!

Not anymore though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

For first year larkfield is where you want to be. Any other year I wouldn't live anywhere on res. I didn't live on res in first year (stayed in digs - shíte) but a lot of my mates that I hang around with now, 3 years on, I got to know from larkfield res, I already knew 1 guy that was staying there in first year.

Think someone was asking about the internet in larkfield or something, maybe not, but yeah you can get it, same internet (firewalled, no p2p) as any other res flat. All you can really do with the college internet is browse the web pretty much.

edit: If any of you 1st years are gonna live on res, move up for orientation week, usually a few sessions about campus, good week in general to go on a mad bender, get to know a few people and know the campus. I think security is relaxed enough for orientation week, but I could be wrong, after orientation week it'll be back to it's usual shíte self.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 james_d_23

Jesjes wrote:
    Pros:
    Its ON res accom. You can wake up 20mins before your lecture and get in on time.
    Its comfortable, mostly. Depending on where you are its ensuite.
    First year res is great craic.
    Deadly speed on the connection.
    Ability to apply to live with mates.
    Gym/pool right there

Cons:
    No washing machines in apts
    No overnight guests/extorstionist prices
    Gates lock after ten so if your getting a lift home your at the main door
    Gym means the public [ie kids and parents] come in and out on Sat morn, and if your hung over!!!
    You might live with SPAS/messy people wiht no choice.
    Room inspections
    Getting locked out cost 20quid for anew card.

Ehh, I am sure there is more, but off the top of my head thats it. Its perfect for first year, tbh. But move out after that if you can. Or if they dont change the rules
    when you say gates lock after 10 do you mean just for car access? And then u have to show your student card to get in also?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Jesjes wrote:
    LOL, newb. It was working fine for me.

Also,
    The partying on res in second year was bloody great. The best year ever. Didn't do wonders for the academic end of the deal but I got through OK.

I think security've become signicantly more anal since though :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 james_d_23

Also on the dcu Accommodation FAQ page (http://webpages.dcu.ie/~teacherp/html/faq_accom.htm) it says

"Applicants applying for DCU through CAO, must have their on-campus application forms returned by July 1st."

What?! i Only applied the other day as i didnt think it would be possible without getting accepted for my course first!

Any truth in that statement? I hope not....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

james_d_23 wrote:
    Also on the dcu Accommodation FAQ page (http://webpages.dcu.ie/~teacherp/html/faq_accom.htm) it says

"Applicants applying for DCU through CAO, must have their on-campus application forms returned by July 1st."

What?! i Only applied the other day as i didnt think it would be possible without getting accepted for my course first!

Any truth in that statement? I hope not....

I'm fairly sure the deadline is next wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So in short, Shanowen or Larkfield for a 1st year, a nice piece of fresh meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea your meant to have applied ages ago and then they offer the rooms on the condition you're offered your course throught the CAO. As has been said though I'm sure they have a room or two to spare! :D

I don't know about Shanowen for first year cos I wasn't there but Larkfield, before security went nazi, was class. Best bet is to find someone that stayed on Larkfield last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

james_d_23 wrote:
    when you say gates lock after 10 do you mean just for car access? And then u have to show your student card to get in also?
    You don't have to show your res card until 12 to get back in. Sometimes you won't need to show it at all depending on if there is a security gard in the office or not, 90% of the time during the week you will need to show it, at the weekend, you'll never have to show it, so ok for brining people back. Although there are ways around everything if you really need to get some back, for em....
    cina wrote:
    I'm fairly sure the deadline is next wednesday.
    Dunno when the deadline officially is, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, res will be happy to take your money any time.
    ColHol wrote:
    So in short, Shanowen or Larkfield for a 1st year, a nice piece of fresh meat?
    Up to yourself really, Shanowen would be less strict with rules but Larkfield would probably be better craic and cheaper. Shanowen has no common rooms (individual flats), which is where you will get to know all your neighbours in orientation/freshers week.

Advertisement