Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David "nod-the-head" Gray - where'd he go?

Options
  • 08-05-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening to "Sell Sell Sell" again... really like this stuff and kinda weird how Mary Black sang a few tunes before he hit big time.
    This guy was huge here.... remember all those Point sell outs?
    White Ladder was the big time, and "Another dawn at midnight" just couldnt top it.
    So, where's he gone since? Anyone know?
    I'm thinking Josh Ritter is the new adopted son, but I think we've our own in Paddy Casey.
    Anyone still listen to Davids stuff? Is it a case of "overkill" and let move on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Wasn't so much nodding the head as shaking it. From some angles it looked like the microphone had gone through his mough and was impaled into the back of his throat and he was trying to work his head free. Kinda freaky really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I really enjoyed his earlier albums, didn't like A New Day At Midnight too much.
    Afaik David recently did a soundtrack for a film, not 100% sure though. Haven't heard anything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

shouldn't the question really be

arent we all that much happier that he fúcked off back to wales?

the last i saw of him was in the audience for ralph stanley (mountain music legend) on bbc3 a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

technobob wrote:
    shouldn't the question really be

arent we all that much happier that he fúcked off back to wales?

the last i saw of him was in the audience for ralph stanley (mountain music legend) on bbc3 a while back
    I like his music, so I'd prefer if he kept releasing more material. If you don't like him don't listen to him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

did anyone really notice he was gone... maybe he's off doing something dismal with travis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

He wrote the music for a movie called "A Way Of Life". No sign of a new album, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I *loved* his early albums (to the extent that I was webmaster of the largest DG fansite online for about two years). White Ladder was good but I reckon at the end even David must have been sick of the material given that he flogged it for a good 3 years.

IMHO he's never recorded anything to top "A Century Ends", his debut. Even the B-Sides were fantastic back then (notably L's Song - the 'L' is a girl called Lara btw.)

A new day at midnight was, frankly, disappointing though he was always going to have a hard time following an album that had the commercial success of White Ladder.

I still throw on his albums from time to time and don't think Paddy Casey can hold a candle to him (but then I think Westlife have released some better material than that arrogant little whingebag). If he releases something new, I'll give it a listen and quite possibly go see him in concert because he's a great live act.

Advertisement