Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limiting upload speeds?

Options
  • 03-05-2005 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

ok, i'm on iolbb+ with the 2mb line but i suffer really badly when it comes to downloading files. my problem is not in the downloading, i can get solid 217Kb/s so that's all good, my problem is that my uploadingis maxing out and i can do nothing else while downloading.

now i don't expect to be able to play games of CS source while i'm downloading files, but just plain old web browsing would be nice but i can't even do that.

basically no matter what i'm downloading, wether it be through IE, getright or azureus i have DU Meter running all the time and when a download starts i keep getting upload speeds of a pretty constant 14kb/s which makes browsing a nightmare, might as well be back on 56k.

now azureus is good in that you can tell it to limit the upload or download speeds but even with the upload limited to 8kb/s DU Meter is still saying 14kb/s and browsing is a b*itch. I know alot of you out ther might say that DU Meter can often be unreliable for upload speeds etc. but i've never had any problems with it at all and if azureus really was limiting it's upload to 8kb/s then surely i could use the rest of the upload for browsing?

Someone suggested to me before to try out net limiter which i duelly did, again usuing net limiter i set IE, get right or azureus to a max upload of 8kb/s and voila DU Meter is still reading uploads of upto 14kb/s.

No matter what i seem to try nothing is working in terms of limiting the upload speeds of programs in order for me to successfully and smoothly download a file and browse happily, any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

BT has fcked up their upload speed or something as I must limit my upload speed to 8kbytes/s to even get a 60 or 70kbyte/s download on torrents.
    Previously I got anything up to 200kbytes/s and an upload of 12kbytes/s.

On the Irish speed test I get a download of around 1.72mbits/s and a shocking 60kbits/s!!!!!

What the hell is wrong and are eircom customers getting the same sh!tty upload speed???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

juliusWhat the hell is wrong and are eircom customers getting the same sh!tty upload speed???
    for exactly the reason that you are complaining about. they see P2P traffic as the scurge of the online world, hogging all their precious bandwidth.

from a technical point of view, there's nothing stopping them from making their upload 512kbps or even 1mbps for the upload, but that would herald the end of their control over how we use our connections.

limiting upload to 128kbps stops P2P traffic hitting a steady 2mbps down because there is a high upload overhead on P2P traffic.

I reguarly maxxed out my 512kbps connection with torrents, but I've yet to break an average over 1mbps since the upgrade, and i have no illusions as to why this is.

in fact my upload capacity has actually dropped slightly since the upgrade to 2mbps to between 70-90kbps most of the time.

this also deters people from switching over to VOIP services as a 128 upload severely limits the effectiveness of VOIP services as a serious alternative to fixed line calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

vibe666 wrote:
    this also deters people from switching over to VOIP services as a 128 upload severely limits the effectiveness of VOIP services as a serious alternative to fixed line calls.

Bit of a lost cause as all people would have to do is switch to NTL or IBB. The upload is far better on their packages and they'd end up not only losing customers but also people would disconnect their phone lines as well.

Infini wrote:
    Bit of a lost cause as all people would have to do is switch to NTL or IBB. The upload is far better on their packages and they'd end up not only losing customers but also people would disconnect their phone lines as well.
    the big problem there being that a very large percentage of eircom/bt/utv's customer base cannot get ntl or ibb. i'd switch in a shot if i had the choice, but i can't get anything but the 2048/128 offerings from these gangsters and while i and the majority of other people have no choice, we just have to bite the bullet.

i'm going to be switching to the bt business broadband of 1024/256 next month and ditching my landline rather than mess around with the crap i have at the moment, and even though i've not finished my 12 months with esat/bt i'm okay to switch to bt business so i'll be happy with that and blueface when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Have you tried using bandwidth controller?

I have been using it for the last couple of weeks and
    I am still unsure as to how well it works.

But what you can do is assign top priority to TCP traffic
    and then browsing will get up to 90% priority over any
    other traffic.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I used the help file
    to set this up.

Here are my settings hopefully they are correct.
    th_c12_Bandwidth.jpg

• Advertisement

i've decided to do things properly, and I'm getting a Linksys WRT54G Wifi router, and I'll be flashing the firmware to a custom version called HyperWRT which will allow me to place a higher priority on things like VoIP and HTTP traffic so that none of my torrenting antics will stop me from browsing the net.

from what I understand it works pretty much perfectly.

Advertisement