Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prayer

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." -- Liber AL, I:40

"Love is the law, love under will." -- Liber AL, I:57

It is taken from Crowley's Book of the Law.
    It is the golden rule for Thelma and those who are in O.T.O.

http://www.hermetic.com/heidrick/salutes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

who007 wrote:
    AND just change that to "do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law" and you have the one and only commandment of Satanism ( a widely misunderstood spiritual expression, by the way) :cool:
    And change that to "do what I wish shall be the whole of the law and you've got some mad cult. I think the important part of the wiccan rede is "'an it harm none".
    Correct me if Im wrong but Satanism preaches that you should take care of yourself first and feel no guilt for harm caused to others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

who007 wrote:
    AND just change that to "do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law" and you have the one and only commandment of Satanism ( a widely misunderstood spiritual expression, by the way) :cool:
    The Law of Thelema has a quite different meaning to "wilt" than the Wiccan Rede. In Thelema there is the concept of one's "true will", so the magician would engage in the Coversation of the Holy Guardian Angel and other workings to understand his or her true will and act upon it. This bi-passes the need for an ethic of reciprocity, of legality, or most other ethics as people living their true will would naturally be in harmony with each other, "Every man and every woman is a star" there is a harmonious path for everyone to follow. To add "an it harm none" to this is hence nonsense.

Will in the sense of the Rede is will in the normal meaning of the word, and hence it simply advises that as long as you aren't doing any harm you should do whatever you please.

While they are quite different it certainly seems most likely that the wording of the Law of Thelema has influenced the most common wordings found today. Prior to that we find in Gardner:
    [Witches] are inclined to the morality of the legendary Good King Pausol[e], "Do what you like so long as you harm no one". But they believe a certain law to be important, "You must not use magic for anything which will cause harm to anyone, and if, to prevent a greater wrong being done, you must discommode someone, you must do it only in a way which will abate the harm.

- Gerald Gardner, The Meaning of Witchcraft

The morality of the (fictional) Good King Pausole is in turn
    1. Do no wrong to thy neighbor.
    2. Observing this, do as thou pleasest.
    - Pierre Louÿs, The Adventures of King Pausole

Gardnerian Craft Laws contain the expression "harm none", but not the rest of the Rede (and after all, it's a rede not a law and besides, there's no reason for a law to tell you to do what you will). The only explanation for the law is not addressed in terms of ethics but of self-preservation:
    But when one of our oppressors die, or even be sick, ever is the cry, "This be Witches Malice," and the hunt is up again. And though they slay ten of their people to one of ours, still they care not; they have many thousands, while we are few indeed. So it is Ardane that none shall use the Art in any way to do ill to any, howevermuch they have injured us. And for long we have obeyed this law, "Harm none" and nowtimes many believe we exist not. So it be Ardane that this law shall still continue to help us in our plight. No one, however great an injury or injustice they receive, may use the Art in any to do ill or harm any.

- Public Contents of Gardnerian Book of Shadows (if you believe Aidan Kelly, he's regarded as an oathbreaker and a liar so it's a matter of whether he was oathbreaking or lying when he published that ;)).

So we have "harm none" expressed as both an ethic and a tactical decision (though the tactic enforced as a law, but there the ethical consideration is the safety of the coven and other Witches, not those you may harm), later being worded in terms mirroring Crowley's in their poetry but not in their meaning. Just when this wording happened is debatable, but the smart money is on the Doreen Valiente speech Thaed quotes above (not least because she was familiar with Crowley's work and had a talent for re-wording already existing material with great poetry and beauty, indeed it is Valiente who composed the better known poetic form of the Charge).

Certainly, while the two are different, they can be found to be compatible, and there are people who honour both.

Satanism (quite different to Thelema - Crowley worked through his Satanic period long before then by entering Anglican churches, hardly a Satanic act to most eyes but he knew it would have shocked his Plymouth Brethren mother) on the other hand covers a large number of religious, spiritual and decadent viewpoints. The most significant is probably Church of Satan which has the Nine Satanic Statements and Nine Satanic Sins, of which the most significant in a discussion of ethics of reciprocity are the 4th, 5th and 6th statements, which specifically refuses such an ethic:
    4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
    5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
    6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

- Anton Szandor LaVey, "The Nine Satanic Statements" in The Satanic Bible
    And the 3rd sin, which attacks much of the reasoning behind such ethics:
    3. Solipsism—Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They won’t. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of “Do unto others as they do unto you.” It’s work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.

- Anton Szandor LaVey, "The Nine Satanic Statements" in The Satanic Bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I thought ppl who believed in many gods either followed the collective wills of the gods or chose one god (for certain situations) and followed them??

How exactly does it work?
    Well, there are plenty of different polytheist religions and beliefs, and most of them I am quite ignorant of and can't really talk about.

In Pagan Witchcraft the view of the relationship we have with the Gods is perhaps less one-sided than with some monotheistic faiths, which makes sense given the difference from the belief in a single all-powerful deity who must be obeyed, because He/She/It is the head guy in charge. Indeed many Witches do believe in a all-powerful Divine being behind everything, but It doesn't seem to have much direct dealings with us, so we don't with It.

Now, the choosing of one God or Goddess or a small number, most often a God and a Goddess (or rather being chosen by one God or Goddess and feeling you have a calling to work with them, quite often not the one you wanted to work with) is indeed how it works for most. In addition covens, groups and partnerships may work with particular deities, and despite stevenmu's doubts about how it may work in modern Western society there are still places associated with particular Gods or Goddesses and people who honour them there and act as guardians to those places. Further one may work with a particular God or Goddess to a particular end.

In this though one does not undertake to follow their will blindly, nor would doing so be an ethical way of living. I have a devotion to Scáthach. Now what Scáthach really likes is for people to become very skilled at warfare, go out and find plenty of opportunities to use those skills, and eventually die in combat, preferably being killed by someone who themself dispatches you in a skilled manner. If you look at the myths of her students, most famously Cú Chulainn, but also some of those he was later to slay, that's exactly the sort of thing she likes to see happen.

So does this mean I should go out looking for fisticuffs and offering outside to anyone who spills my pint? I should hope not. Now, I'm not a pacifist and if a situation arises where such physical intervention is appropriate I would hope I wouldn't chicken out (I did chicken out of such a confrontation once, and still regret the greater harm done) on the other hand one should pick ones battles and chose ones tactics wisely (as I'm not a pacifist I don't believe in the ethics of Gandhi or King, but I do think their non-violent resistance was a wise tactic for them to use none the less). Besides which, I'm not particularly skilled in this regard anyway (though I should work on that, if only because I need to get fitter and martial arts would be a lot less boring to me than joining a gym).

So, I don't literally follow in the footsteps of Scáthach's students, nor adopt "What Would Scáthach Do?" as a motto. What do I do? Well, I try to work with her in a way that is of benefit to both of us, a matter that I am still exploring in its meaning and implications. I learn what I need to learn, I become competent at what I should become competent in and I bring my efforts to where they are needed with honour and courage.

Or at least I try to.

The very concept of "working with" deities rather than following or obeying them says a lot about this view of divinity. For analogy, I try to fulfil the will of my business clients, but that doesn't mean I would do anything they asked, nor that they would ask me to do anything that they want done, the relationship is not one of someone who orders and someone who follows but much more reciprocal than that. If a business client wants me to crack a rivals system, or (and this isn't unheard of) steal copyright material from elsewhere then the legal and ethical implications are there for me to deal with, there is no "just following orders". Now if a client wants me to do this and I refuse that may damage my relationship with that client, they might even cause me hassle in some way, but I'm not going to hell for it. Intelligent clients for there part don't ask people they are hiring to do outlandishly unethical things, that'd just be stupid. On the other hand, if I just ignore a client's reasonable requests, or for that matter if I mess up in trying to execute them, that also has negative consequences for our relationship, and they are right to feel agrieved. A closer analogy still (but still just an analogy) is to people with whom I have both a friendship and a business relationship at the same time.

Advertisement