Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New City Planned for Mayo

Options
  • 12-04-2005 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Read this in the paper that the Goverment wants to build a new city in Mayo, near Knock Airport. It will be the size of Dublin because they want this to be the city that pulls people out of Dublin. They are concerned that by 2050, Dublin, Waterford, Cork and Galway will see high levels of flooding. This city should be built as soon as the go-ahead is given.

It shows a little artist impression of it, and in it has a Luas type tram service.....and a skyscraper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Huh. Saw the topic and I thought this was a joke. Maybe it is... Got any links I can click?

edit - http://www.newcityforthewest.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

This is a subject has been on the go for about 10 years now, not a joke really, was first brought up by an Irish American ...wanted to call it City of the Sacred Heart or something.

OK, so wrong name, but the rest of his proposal hit the right level, and made economic and social sense, so story refuses to go away.
    He had an infrastructure plan, city plan, satellite feeder towns plan, waste management plan, sewerage plan, water, colleges, churches, schools ...the works.

Do remember it's warm up period for general election now, so all these good news stories will start appearing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

It'll never happen until they allow trans-atlantic flights to and from Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Agreed, just pre-election waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha ha
    Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha ha
    Ha Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha ha
    Ha Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha ha
    Ha Ha Ha haHa Ha Ha ha
    Ha Ha Ha ha
    ahem

ha

thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Goodshape wrote:
    Huh. Saw the topic and I thought this was a joke. Maybe it is... Got any links I can click?

edit - http://www.newcityforthewest.com/
    Noooo, hardchaws from Munster want to steal the idea. Better fetch the tinfoil hats to prevent this from happening again...

Choice quote
    Mr Thomas adds that given the dire warnings about the gulf stream slowing down, NASA and other scientists have warned that Ireland's temperature could go well below -40 degrees centigrade, so any new city must be a thermal-proofed city.
    So I take it the entire city is to be insulated with Foxford produced wooly jumpers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

It’s a brilliant idea. Build a city in Mayo for two million Dutchmen fleeing rising sea levels, why did we never of think of this before. After all, the locals will all be living in one-off houses in the countryside and drinking each others piss so obviously the population needs to be imported from somewhere.

http://www.ecoboot.nl/forums/read.php?f=1&i=113&t=113
    “We would also be happy to include in our New City in Ireland a Dutch quarter which could accommodate 1 to 2 million dutch people.”

This guy is brilliant, you couldn’t make this stuff up.

http://www.unison.ie/longford_news/stories.php3?ca=35&si=310663&issue_id=3340“...... I believe the West will save the nation,” Mr. Thomas said.

Advertisement