Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modded Xboxs still being banned from xbox live?

• 01-04-2005 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Have boadband now and wouldnt mind giving live a go but was also thinking of modding my xbox.
    I remember just after halo 2 was released a whole load of modded xboxs started being banned. Think the theory then was that if you had gone on xbox live, then modded your xbox you were banned cause microsoft read your hd serial number the 1st time you logged onto live.

Is this true or whats the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yes

The way it works is when you go on Live for the first time it reads your HDD serial and associates it with your account. So if you go one with another HDD it will ban you. But if you already have the HDD installed before you first go on there will be no problem. (as long as the modchip is turned off aswell)

Is there anyway of spoofing a HDD serial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't have or use an Xbox but off the top of my head I think there is a feww non-MS xbox live clone service that you can use with whatever xbox you want. Afaik all you need is any old pc to act as an outgoing proxy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the Kai tunneling stuff.
    It's a *little* bit fiddly, but is also more flexible than Live.

That type of software can only be used on lan games. Its not a replacment for Live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Ciaran500 wrote:
    That type of software can only be used on lan games. Its not a replacment for Live.

I use KAI online with no problems. I think XBConnect also works over the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ciaran500 wrote:

At least check up on your sources before posting in future.

That came out wrong. What I meant was that Xlink allows you to play Lan games over the internet. But you can't play games that are Live only over the internet, they need to have system link.

"XLink Kai is a program that you run on your PC or Macintosh that allows you to play system-link / LAN-enabled games for your XBox, Playstation 2, Gamecube and PSP."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah KAI works pretty well for Halo 2. It gets a little hairy on 16 player servers though :D

Advertisement