Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Shins

• 25-03-2005 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone saw the shins last year at oxegen, they were playing at the same time as the darkness, and imo they kicked the ****eness's ass! I thought they put on a really good show. Anyone have thoughts on this? Or know if they're planning a tour?

Speaking of which, time to listen to some shins... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Burke

Tash!!! ur a muppet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Burke wrote:
    Tash!!! ur a muppet!!!
    ..........................pkb

Shins r teh win..
    I only into them recently but they're class.
    (From their website) it doesnt look like their touring outside the states in the next few months, id love to see em though> !

And as for the darkness, they should never have been given the time or money to produce that festering piece of gimmick rock they call an album..imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I was just glad there was something good at the same time as The Darkness.

The Shins have become one of my favourite bands over the past couple of years. Only recently got their first album, and although as an album I don't think its as good as the second, I'd rather hear some individual songs from the first rather than listening to the second.

Theres something unbelievably "haunting" about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Missed them because I decided to relive my youth and went to see Ocean Colour Scene instead of the festering turd monkeys that had the main stage... Heard that the Darkness had the neck to try and cover 'street spirit [fade out]' and all. As if insulting the memory of Freddie Mercury wasn't bad enough on it's own :rolleyes:

OCS were great though :)

Been listening to some of the Shins stuff in the last week or so. Really need to hear a full album but there's definite potential there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

no i missed them...grrr. but i love their stuff, and bcos they wer on the sub pop zero album, which was like 3e-i was sad one day and needed nu music to cheer me up-i got to find out about loads of other cool bands for real cheap-xcellente-love to c them live tho.....sniff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

they looked to me to be the only act worth seeing on the second day... but alas i didn't stay for the second day, i've become a big fan of there stuff since then... very good band indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Sleepy wrote:
    the festering turd monkeys that had the main stage
    I have to say, thats the best description i've heard of em all year. The cover of street spirit was BRUTAL. If i had a sock and a half-brick, i would have been on that stage as fast as i could go!

I'm hoping that they'll start recording a new album after they finish their current tour. Last album was released in 2003, so i'm hoping for another one this year.

On a slightly different note, what would ye think their best song is? "Know your onion" definately does it for me. Its genious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

fav Shins Song....?
    would be "Saint Simon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Sleepy wrote:
    Missed them because I decided to relive my youth and went to see Ocean Colour Scene instead of the festering turd monkeys that had the main stage... Heard that the Darkness had the neck to try and cover 'street spirit [fade out]' and all. As if insulting the memory of Freddie Mercury wasn't bad enough on it's own :rolleyes:

OCS were great though :)

Been listening to some of the Shins stuff in the last week or so. Really need to hear a full album but there's definite potential there!

HAHA I was thinking exactly the same thing... They didnt have enough material to cover their set cos their album is only 45 mins long... They had to steal other ppls songs.. Waste of space...

I was tryin to cover my ears from being exposed to their ****e all the way back in campsite B10.

edit: oh yeah, and the shins are good.. fav song: New Slang

Tyrrial wrote:
    fav Shins Song....?
    would be "Saint Simon"
    New Slang, or Caring Is Creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New Slang, or Caring Is Creepy.
    My sentiments exactly!

The 2 songs picked for the brillant Garden State soundtrack too!

Zach Braff has some amazing taste in music though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Do you mean Zach Braff, as in the guy from scrubs? Whats he got to do with the shins? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Do you mean Zach Braff, as in the guy from scrubs? Whats he got to do with the shins? :p
    From Amazon: (re: garden state soundtrack)
    Writer and director Zach Braff does a masterful job matching the charming, heartfelt tone of films like The Graduate and Rushmore in his motion picture debut, Garden State, so it only makes sense that the music he personally compiled for the soundtrack plays just as of big a part here as it did in those films. Simon & Garfunkel's languorous "The Only Living Boy in New York" is an obvious thread, but aside from Nick Drake's "One of These Things First," Braff is able to carry the mood without getting tripped up in the past. Frou Frou's "Let Go" and Zero 7's "In the Waiting Line" supply soft techno touches, while Iron & Wine's "Such Great Heights" and former Men at Work singer Colin Hay's "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" offer understated angst. It's the pair of emotionally racked contributions from the Shins ("Caring Is Creepy," "New Slang"), however, that really make this compilation a must-have. --Aidin Vaziri

Yep hes the guy off Scrubs alrite

Yeah, as ColHol put it.

Zach Braff wrote and directed the excellent film, Garden State (due in Irish cinemas Friday week), which also has an excellent soundtrack handpicked by Braff. Think the soundtrack won a Grammy this year too.

Seen the film already and it's probably one of the best of last year. And also the soundtrack is the best i've heard in a long long time! Both highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

Saint Simon - what a legendary song! Check out those harmonies, like. Anyone else find that Caring is Creepy sounds really, really strange? I can't figure out if it's just the production or maybe the vocals, but it's got such a strange sound to it.

Saint Simon - what a legendary song! Check out those harmonies, like. Anyone else find that Caring is Creepy sounds really, really strange? I can't figure out if it's just the production or maybe the vocals, but it's got such a strange sound to it.
    It freaks the **** out of me. Thats one of the reasons its my favourite song.

Yeah, 'Caring Is Creepy' has a real dark sound to it. The whistles in the intro, James Mercer's haunting voice and also probably the darkest part of the song:

All these squawking birds won't quit.
    Building nothing, laying bricks.

Advertisement