Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I'd go for a triumvirate of John 2, Sleepy and this guy .

At the end of the day though, we'll have to see if the admins decide the board needs a mod or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

We need more John2.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

I'm all for the John2/Sleepy co-mod idea. It gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

We need more John2.

I told you already, I'm not going to sleep with you ;)

If it's not already been decided, would anyone mind if I threw my hat in the ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Papa Hoff wrote:
    If it's not already been decided, would anyone mind if I threw my hat in the ring?
    Only if you revoke the David Hasselhoff forum :D

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

At least you know I have a sense of humour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Papa Hoff wrote:
    At least you know I have a sense of humour :D

your not going to make up some stupid rule where you have to spell all indie bands with capitols, are you :D

Stalfos wrote:
    your not going to make up some stupid rule where you have to spell all indie bands with capitols, are you :D

Hee Hee. And bannage for not using the prefix "The" with bands like "The Cure" etc... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Seconded. Under no circumstances should anyone mistake this for a forum that believes Hoff is alt/indie! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

o god no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If liking the Hoff isn't "Alternative", I don't know what is!

Well, there's "Alternative" and there's "music so bad it makes your ears bleed". I believe the mulleted one belongs in the latter category. ;)

Mullets were kinda cool................ back in the 80's

mullet.jpg

:rolleyes:

Were mullets ever cool? Ugh... Makes my spine shiver

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Anyway, I think the potential mods should list their top5 indie/alternative albums. Give a brief explanation as to why that particular album makes the list.

I can see it now..
    Poster 1: WHAT!!! CAll that indie/alternative get out of here and listen to (insert unheard of band name)
    OP: Yeah whatever... How could you leave (insert band name here) out?

Poster 2: But what about..

Etc.

*I'll be posting mine soon...

I can see this being disasterous but anyway, I'll give it a go. I'm probably a lot more "mainstream" than a lot of the posters here

1. Radiohead: 'The Bends' - While OK Computer is probably technically the better album, this one just switched me on. Not a dud song on it and a few that really meant something to a 14 year old Sleepy (and most of 'em still do ten years later). Street Spirit [fade out] is still probably my favourite song of all time.

2. Damien Rice: 'O' - It's just heart-breakingly beautiful. That simple.

3. Nirvana: 'Nevermind' - It may just be "grunge" now, but when it was released it was definitely alternative. This album is credited with saving music from the 80's overuse of the synthesiser.

4. The Smiths 'The World Won't Listen' - technically not a studio album I know, but I'm having it. 'Panic', The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, 'Shoplifters Of The World Unite', need I really say more?

And this is where I find it tough, I'm torn between about 5 albums to take position number 5 so I'm just gonna go with the first one of them that came into my head though I know it'll be an unpopular call:

5. David Gray: 'A Century Ends' - young, angry, poetic and almost unrecognisable from his later chart successes. Debauchery is still, imho, one of the sexiest songs ever written.

Honourable Mentions go to The Divine Comedy's 'Cassanova', Radiohead's 'OK Computer', Phil Campbell's 'Fresh New Life', REM's 'Automatic for the People' and probably far too many others to mention here.

This one stumped me too a bit...

So here goes:
    1.) Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes. Its just an absolutely amazing album with no fillers at all. Gordon Gano was the first guy I ever listened to who couldn't sing, yet it sounded perfect.

2.) Nirvana: Bleach. I went from a child to an immature condescending spotty teenager with the first time I heard this. In my walkman today. WOW.

3.) Beck: Mellow Gold. It was the mutherfuker that I thought was amazing. and still do. He really turned me on to using sound as opposed to music in some cases

This is where it gets harder. The first three are all time favourite albums, but to have to limit myself to two more...
    4.) Tindersticks: Curtains. THE SINGLEMOST SEXIEST ALBUM IN THE WORLD...EVER! No really it is. If you are alone with a girl, put this on. Say your best lines, and it'll all be worth it. (Skip "Dick's fast song" though.)

5.) Supergrass: I Should Coco. Caught by the Fuzz, Mansize Rooster, Lenny, All F**kin' amazin stuff.

Honourable mentions to Kids in the hall "Brain Candy", OST I'M GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!; PJ Harvey, Rid of Me; and don't forget Pulp too. Wicked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

tough one but heres my first attempt(would change if I did it again tomorrow)

1. REM - Green - First album that got me hooked on music

2. The Farm - Spartacus - Just brillaint

3. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi - 1 of the best albums of the last few years

4. A-House - Big Fat Merry Go Round - The greatest Irish album ever

5. Radiohead - Ok Computer - Best radiohead album

only just realised its for potential mods only :confused: - should read the whole thread - even the big post in red :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Ali Cat

okay let's see...
    In no particular order:

1) Ani DiFranco: so many to choose from but I'm going with Not a Pretty Girl, good balance between rockin' songs, more folky stuff and strong political statements...

2) Belle and Sebastian: Tigermilk, their first but I still think their strongest, I never get tired of listening to it...

3) The Moldy Peaches: The Moldy Peaches, so simplictic musicly yet actually they are quite talantented, they're great to listen to and make you laugh

4) The Pixies: most of their stuff, how can no one have mentioned them yet??

5) and I'm going to have to agree with a competitor, The Violent Femmes: The Violent Femmes (but also Hallowed Ground), how can a band with such an unlikely singer sounds sooo good?

Honourable mentions: the Eels, Hem: Rabbit Songs, Tindersticks: Curtains (I've been that girl), The Detoit Cobras, I'm sure there's more but I'm done for now...

Yes, I did forget to mention the moldy peaches. They're great. Strange no one chose the pixies yet too.

I see no mention of The Cure, For shame!

can the alternative discuss triphop and such weirdness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Sleepy wrote:
    I can see this being disasterous but anyway, I'll give it a go. I'm probably a lot more "mainstream" than a lot of the posters here

...and Kinky John2 is among the most avant garde! Poifek.

All Hail the brave new age of John2/Sleepy co-moderatorship!

I said Hail, dammit!

There's no mod yet, so... I can't see why not. Tricky's album Maxinquaye. wow.

AlcoholicA wrote:
    can the alternative discuss triphop and such weirdness?
    Whatever floats your boat. I'd be pretty loose in my definition of either indie or alternative.

Doctor J wrote:
    ...and Kinky John2 is among the most avant garde! Poifek.

All Hail the brave new age of John2/Sleepy co-moderatorship!

I said Hail, dammit!

Huh?

Papa Hoff wrote:
    Huh?

you heard the man!, Hail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My list isn't as avant garde as Doctor J would have you believe. I'm saving that for the No Wave forum when it starts up :D

So my Top Five in no particular order:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In:
    Spellbindingly excellent album. Not a bad note on the album. Great lyrics from start to finish. The song I Let Love In has the best backing vocals I've ever heard. Pure gold.

Joy Division - Closer:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    That good.

Tindersticks - Curtains:
    Have to agree with Papa Hoff, this album is beautiful. Another Night In is such a great way to start any album. The Sticks are top notch.

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem:
    This may not be in my top five forever but right now this album really has me strutting my stuff. Really fun album, you're a monster if you don't like it.

The Cure - Disintegration:
    Moany goth music for people with taste. Was delighted at Oxegen to hear them play most of this album. It's dark. Quite dark but it makes you feel better for knowing you'll never be as depressed as this.

Damnit, five is a very limiting number!

Advertisement