Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband for Mayo Article?

Options
  • 19-03-2005 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the front the page of the free paper pushed through letter boxes in castlebar. It had an article wireless broadband from a crowd called Westnet ????

Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not a notion IrishGeo - Must find out as we are caught without it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Westnet (http://www.westnet.ie) is an ISP venture initiated by some former committee members of the Group Data Scheme Society (http://www.groupdatascheme.ie). It's an interesting and dynamic venture, and deserves support. Whatever works!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Doubt achill will on the the top of the agenda.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't be too sure. The backbone network already reaches Mulranny. Achill wouldn't necessarily be hard to do.

Have you looked into forming a GBS partnership?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What back bone network?

I think about it but with achill exchange down for an BB upgrade some time between now and march 2006 is it really worth taking funding from everyone else.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote:
    What back bone network?
    The WestNet wireless backbone network. Coming soon to a community near you (tm).
    irishgeo wrote:
    I think about it but with achill exchange down for an BB upgrade some time between now and march 2006 is it really worth taking funding from everyone else.
    Hm. (a) Dunno about you, but I personally wouldn't be willing to wait for (i) sometime between now and march 2006, and (ii) the vague possibility that an enabled exchange means that my line would pass for broadband (unless you live in the exchange). (b) Who's taking funding from anyone? There's no shortage of grant money out there. If you want broadband, holler: the department is standing by with shovels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mowd

Does WestNet cover Newport.

Mayo Broadband

Depends where in Newport. There's a community scheme that covers the town and some of the outlying areas, and WestNet cover some other areas. Call 1850 930 305 to find out more.

Advertisement