Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for old merc???

• 25-01-2005 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Sorry for lack of info, its about 1970, convertible, looks fooking brilliant, searching but cant find it. Can someone post pics of old merc convertibles I really want to find this one.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Found it....

That was quick....

70mbsl1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

why are you looking for it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Where did you lose it?

Is there a reward?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Forget the Merc I'll take the Sting Ray in the corner thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Hey Joe .....are you thinking of buying one ?

I know of a few for sale in Dublin.........your on the northside yeah?

Here's a photo of my own, the photo make the car look a lot better than it is though.........still happy days !

DSCF0056.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice car - the old plates with the new numbers work well.

Don't go driving that on the beach now...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice car, MercMad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Nice car - pity about the plates.

Large digit plates would look so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Silvera wrote:

You're really on a quest! Do you have another pic of a car with the bigger digit plates? That style doesnt look familiar to me at all.

..........actually I have the nicer plates on it now. I found a place in the UK, still cant find the url that does the Ace style plates, reasonable too, €40 for a set including postage to ireland.

That photo was taken last summer as one of a batch that will appear in an upcoming calender "50 Years of the SL Mercedes"

• Advertisement

you should add in fake shiny stars on the really shiny chrome bits.....

Personally I can see feck all difference between the plates in the pic, and the ones suggested by Silvera... :D

That said Silvera - I got a quote (using your link) for a set of those exact plates yesterday that was pretty good! (About €40 too, MercMad).

It's all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭blobert

What car is this by the way?

Its a Mercedes SL, affectionately known as the "Pagoda", built from 1963 to 1971 as 230/250/280SL !

you should add in fake shiny stars on the really shiny chrome bits.....

Eh ??

MercMad wrote:
    ..........actually I have the nicer plates on it now. I found a place in the UK, still cant find the url that does the Ace style plates, reasonable too, €40 for a set including postage to ireland.

Fair enough. Good move !

Modern, 'skinny digit', plates just look so bad on a classic.

Which company did you buy the plates from ?

ScabbyLeg wrote:
    You're really on a quest! Do you have another pic of a car with the bigger digit plates? That style doesnt look familiar to me at all.

Yep ! :)
    shabby plates really take from an otherwise nice car (modern or classic!)

This pic show a large digit plate.
    As you can see the digits almost fill the complete plate (e.g. imagine six digits like 64 D 819 on a plate like this, as opposed to the pic above where the numbers seem almost 'lost' on the plate with alot of black on show).

Large digits like these were used in Ireland until Dec 1986, so are the correct style for all pre-1986 vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great looking 2002 there, Silvera :)

Wow thats a sweet looking '02...........I think I've seen it at the various car shows right ?

Stands up to close scrutiny too !

Just to clarify the plates shown on my car above are actually just basic "motorfactor" plates made up from Europlate style digits.........nothing special !

The ones I got are possibly not quite correct, they look like the Ace plates but the characters are slightly different but hey at that price they're great !

is this the style of plate you got ...........

(white flat-top digits as opposed to the Ace silver 'peak' digits)

• Advertisement

Mine are best described as silver flat topped digits !

like this (i.e. a pressed plate) ?

Nope not pressed !

They are like the digits in your second last post except they are silver plastic on a metal plate !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

What would be the going rate for one of those Pagodas?

if you need to ask the price then...........

;)

Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.

Its more like "how long is a piece of string" !

Basically the old adage of "buy the very best you can afford" really applies to these !

The bodywork is exceptionally rigid and fully welded. There are no bolt on panels so the entire front for example becomes one unit. Getting bodywork done correctly is extremely expensive. All parts are available from MB but there is a lot of chrome and its pricey, each wing is a grand !

Engines and transmissions are virtually bulletproof but the fuel injection system is extremely complicated and few poeple know how to test and repair the system or even tune it. Having said that once they go they go for ever ! A rebuild would be in the order of €6k.

The real problem is these old SL's are usually only used as a summer car and they DO NOT like being left unused, this caused most of the problems.

I have seen them advertised worldwide and the prices range from a scary €12,000 to an increbible €65,000. A 12k car will need anout 5k of work before you could use it and it may never be a decent car. If I was buying again I wouldn'e even look at cars below 25k and I'd want to see recent receipts for engine and bodyork by the marque experts.

There are currently a few for sale in Ireland 2 @ circa €35k (both pretty good cars needing little, though I havent inspected them myself) ad another that needs some finishing but is a good one too somewhere around the mid 20's !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well I could not be bothered to wait to win the lotto so I went ahead with my collection anyway:
    Here is the list

1975 TR6
    1972 Alfa GT 1300 Junior
    1975 Daimler 4.2
    1977 Peugeot 504
    1983 Alfasud 1.5Ti

Well thats enough for anyone to handle.

Just got my Irish plates on my Daimler - here is a pic - perhaps Silvera should be sitting down first before viewing them :eek:

jagnoplates.jpg

You got any pics of the peugeot 504? I love those 70s ones.

• Advertisement

Just got my Irish plates on my Daimler - here is a pic - perhaps Silvera should be sitting down first before viewing them :eek:
    LOL

You can always swap them if you get too much abuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Well I could not be bothered to wait to win the lotto so I went ahead with my collection anyway:
    Here is the list

1975 TR6
    1972 Alfa GT 1300 Junior
    1975 Daimler 4.2
    1977 Peugeot 504
    1983 Alfasud 1.5Ti

Well thats enough for anyone to handle.

Any pictures of the 'Sud? How does it run? Are they hard to find in good shape? Was there a QFV version of these, or was that only the Sprint?

magpie wrote:
    You got any pics of the peugeot 504? I love those 70s ones.

OK - here is my 504 - taken this this evening. There was lovely bright sunlight until a few seconds before I took these shots - typical luck :mad:
    Its a 1977 one owner L model with 41,000 miles on the clock since new. Starts first time even when left a few days.
    The 'L' has a solid rear axle at the back (the GL had independent suspension) and of course no power steering. It is not bad though as the sterering is very high geared (or is that low geared?) you just have great fun twisting the steering wheel to take a 90 degree corner.
    I always wanted one of these cars as they were my favourite during my school days :D

front.jpg
    rear.jpg
    rearside.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    engine.jpg

:D:D:D

She's a beauty alright! My family had the estate model in metallic green :) and I spent many happy years being driven around in the back when I was a nipper.

Where did you pick this one up?

Let me know if you ever want to sell her. Seriously. I spent about 25 mins drooling over one in spain much to her indoors' boredom.

[QUOTE=magpieWhere did you pick this one up?[/QUOTE]

I saw it on Ebay and just agreed the price (used the 'buy it now' option) drove it back al the way from London. stg£1,700 - still a good deal IMO :D

How could you !!! :eek: :D

Nice car btw !

• Advertisement

Well I could not be bothered to wait to win the lotto so I went ahead with my collection anyway

BTW, Alfasudcrazy ...... shouldn't your post above be in the 'Your ideal classic collection' thread ??

I saw it on Ebay and just agreed the price (used the 'buy it now' option) drove it back al the way from London. stg£1,700 - still a good deal IMO

Well worth it. I had a look on ebay/google last night, the only 70s one I could find was some joker in Argentina looking for £10,000 sterling or a swap for a brand new Golf Gti. You've got to love his optimism.

Silvera wrote:
    BTW, Alfasudcrazy ...... shouldn't your post above be in the 'Your ideal classic collection' thread ??

I know - just realised it when I had clicked the button - sometimes I can do things like that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Advertisement