Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

does anyone have a car trailer that can carry a classic to rent

Options
  • 27-02-2005 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

hi, a friend of mine is looking for a car trailer that can transport a classic for a couple of days for rental.
    unfortunately an A bar isnt of much use as as the towed car is rear wheel drive and is an auto, although even this would be considered as the driveshaft can be disconnected.
    even someone who can do this would be ideal. the car has to go to london. it currently does not drive. basically my friend wants to tow it to holyhead where it will be picked up and onward taken to londo by another company. however someone that could take it there directly would also be ideal.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's strange that car transporters are not readily available to rent in Ireland.

When I was in Australia and New Zealand last year, virtually ever other petrol station had 3-4 trailers - including car transporters - available for rent on their forecourts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

that would be so PERFECT .anyone here rent one like it for 100/150 euro for a few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

lomb wrote:
    however someone that could take it there directly would also be ideal.
    thanks

I could do it for €300 - excluding ferry charges - bearing in mind that a car derived Van (VW Caddy) + car transporter return ticket costs - ... wait till I check the website. :o

Your talking €400 - €450 for a return ferry ticket (Irish Ferries)

hi, how much do u reakon u could do it for all the way to london if u could do it. no point in doing things by half :Dcould be any day but would be after the first of april as hes off for 3 weeks. there wouldnt be any pressure on which day it was done, could be a weekend or any days really. i think irish ferries is about 380 return with the trailer with a discount i can get?
    i suppose it could be done in 2 days maybe? its about 1500kg the car i would think so its pretty heavy. thanks

edit:i should have mentioned the car will just be dropped there and the trailer would return empty. youwould prob need to figure overnite accomodation of some sort into it although i suppose could get a sleeper cabin for 20euro on the boat and return the next evening on the fast boat if willing to rough it a little :D
    as i say he is considering his options. the car is a 1952 bentley r type, but isnt in the best of shape so he is wondering what to do with it. he would like to sell it here for its uk price for a resto car(about 51/2grand stg) but the only offer he got was 2k euro, which def isnt enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

not sure what is the story with taking the transporter to UK but I always rent the trailer from guys in East Wall near dublin port 8554144 . rate is 60per day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

lomb wrote:
    hi, how much do u reakon u could do it for all the way to london if u could do it.

All the way to London would be €400 (excluding ferry charges) I do it regurlarly with my own car dealings.
    I have sat nav on my van which is very handy in around London. I actually enjoy these trips very much. My main consideration would be is the car driving - I mean would it have to be towed onto the transporter or could it drive onto it. Also the dimensions of the car - My transporter can bring most cars of average width and length. Why exactly is it being brought to London?

All the way to London would be €400 (excluding ferry charges) I do it regurlarly with my own car dealings.
    I have sat nav on my van which is very handy in around London. I actually enjoy these trips very much. My main consideration would be is the car driving - I mean would it have to be towed onto the transporter or could it drive onto it. Also the dimensions of the car - My transporter can bring most cars of average width and length. Why exactly is it being brought to London?

hi, yes 400 isnt bad at all very reasonable, very kind of u to offer. the car does not run unfortunately.
    basically there is a mechanic there and he reakons he could fix its automatic gearbox, at a reasonable price (a standard gm hydramatic gearbox)
    he got some quotes here for gearbox repairs and they want 5grand to look at it when overhaul kits are 500 euro. it ran in 1st gear and wouldnt upshift and basically the engine overheated?he says now it does not start. its hard to know i havent even seen the car. he reakons if he had the gearbox going well, and it was running he could get 7000 euro for it, which is what he wants for it if possible. someone in the bentley clib here offered him 2 grand for it. anyway he is unsure at the moment what to do with it as transport will be around a grand and a mechanic there well he doesnt know yet what he would charge and what he would recover for it whether he would even see anything for it like 7grand is unknown. ive told him he should perhaps find someone to overhaul the box here but mr gearbox wants 5 grand even to look at it and reakons the gearbox could cost 10 grand to fix possibly. so as i say he isnt sure what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

lomb wrote:
    ................... mr gearbox wants 5 grand even to look at it and reakons the gearbox could cost 10 grand to fix possibly. so as i say he isnt sure what to do with it.

wow.

I know auto box repairs are expansive but this is a joke. Depends what is gone you may just get away with overhaul kit.

It helped me last time and save me $$$. decided to rebuild box myself specially if this kind of money is involved and if box is dead you can make it worst.

You should find some smaller workshop where guy has some knowledge about the boxes.

i have some links of parts suppliers, if you need it depending on the box model

thanks, but who could do such a thing. one really needs a workshop to do it, and he has no mechanical experiance. id say if he could find someone in this country willing to overhaul it he would be a happy camper.
    the thing about resto jobs is its rarely viable in the long term, i reakon he would almost be as well dragging it down to merlin car auctions and seeing if he could get 5grand for it. fabulous car though if it was a minter
    http://www.endlessendeavors.com/1952bentley.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

ive told him he should perhaps find someone to overhaul the box here but mr gearbox wants 5 grand even to look at it and reakons the gearbox could cost 10 grand to fix possibly

........the mistake made wastelling them it was a Bentley ! If he had paid someone to remove it and dump it on their doorstep he might've got a reasonable quote. So is the engine buggered now or what ?

Might be best to eBay it and put is a reserve price that would iclude deliverey to Holyhead and state same !

Although €400 to London is a great price !

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote:
    ........the mistake made wastelling them it was a Bentley ! If he had paid someone to remove it and dump it on their doorstep he might've got a reasonable quote. So is the engine buggered now or what ?

Might be best to eBay it and put is a reserve price that would iclude deliverey to Holyhead and state same !

Although €400 to London is a great price !

YEP 400 is a great price, beats me whether the motor is buggered or not. as i say i havent seen it. fabulous looking car in the pictures on the web though. im not sure what he wants to do with it. if it was me id get the engine going and drop it off at merlin car auctions,. theres a classic auction next month, get rid of it there with the other ropey stuff (its all ropey there)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 1930hotrod

Just joined up and was told the need for car trailers.
    Im a american who just moved to Ireland. I lived and worked 20 years in England and all of Europe. I sell car trailers made by Humbaur enclosed, or open trailers. Just getting started.

most open car trailers are 4 m long 2.5 m wide. There are two choices, standard our deluxe. standard sells for 2500 euros, for extra you can buy the hyd tilt feature. deluxe trailers sells for 3800 to 4500 euros.

Enclosed car trailers start at 3900 to 5900. all the trailers are aluminum. 2.5 tons up to 3.5 tons.

Right now located in Donegal is a used rebuilt enclosed car trailer for sale

enclosed trailer 14.5 ft long 7 feet wide. Use pull out ramps, or hyd tilt to load car. Roof and frame is removable for those bigger loads.

Call me at 087-9376406 to see or inquire about the trailers.

To transport to London I charge 300 euros plus ferry cost. Transport in Ireland can be arranged, Example Rosslare to Belfast 200 euros plus fuel cost.

Sean

thanks for everyones help il let him know about the options id say he might just leave it in a corner on his drive as he has owned it for 30 years and would be sad to see it go for a few grand.

Advertisement