Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone interested in a boards chess tournament?

Options
  • 15-02-2005 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Just a quick thread to gauge interest. Post if ya are. We could all throw in a few quid to a prize pool and i know a central pub we can hold various games in if that helps and people dont mind playing in that environment. Tis very quiet weekday eves.

We'd need own boards, clocks etc.

Karlh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Id be interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Have not played in years, but I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'd be interested, not that I'm very good but I make excellent fodder..

"Central pub" Let me guess.. put me down anyway. I'll be fodder, you could probably add jonny to that list too.

When are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

open to suggestions. it's Anseo on Camden street Papa just in case you were in any doubt :)

we can get some numbers first and then work something out. would be nice even to get 8 people, have a knockout competition with a couple of pints in one evening. nothing too serious, maybe 10 quid a head to get us into it and spice it up a bit and to get some sort of a scene going.

• Advertisement

karlh wrote:
    nothing too serious, maybe 10 quid a head to get us into it and spice it up a bit and to get some sort of a scene going.

one word : Hustler

that a yes then? ;)

it's really bad. poker has had that effect on me. i wouldnt even consider playing this unless there is money to be won. 10c each is fine by me, just a mental thing :)

seeing as itll be all the poker crew i'm sure we'll be rebuying the fcuking pieces by the time it happens! :D

Iago wrote:
    one word : Hustler
    Hustler: Definition
    v. intr.

1. To jostle and push.
    2. To work or move energetically and rapidly: We hustled to get dinner ready on time.
    3. To act aggressively, especially in business dealings.
    4. Slang.
    1. To obtain something by deceitful or illicit means; practice theft or swindling.
    2. To solicit customers. Used of a pimp or prostitute.
    3. To misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.

Karly, I already told you, I will NEVER play you for money. What ever happened to playing something because you enjoy the game? :rolleyes:

Papa Smut wrote:
    Hustler: Definition
    2. To solicit customers. Used of a pimp or prostitute.
    3. To misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.

either of the two is a fair comment I think ;)

ok so €100 a game,
    €5 to rebuy a Pawn
    €10 to rebuy a bishop or Knight
    €20 to rebuy a rook
    €50 to rebuy a Queen
    €50 bonus if you get checkmate in 10 moves or less...

So how many cards do you start with again? ;)

God Iago! Combining chess and poker?! What would a royal flush do!! DeV would be wrecked trying to figure out the math!!

Scary thoughts, but the thing is I'm sure it will be done...

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote:
    Karly, I already told you, I will NEVER play you for money. What ever happened to playing something because you enjoy the game? :rolleyes:

i've never played a game of chess for money and i do enjoy the game a lot. i'm presuming there will have to be a prize to get most of this shower to show up and cash is all they undestand! :p

we can play for pints if it makes it better.....or a title in the sig. couldn't give a bollo>< myself, think it would be cool either way.

and no suicide/buggery or whatever you call that variant where you have to take a piece if you can.

i want down to earth, honest-to-goodness, magnolia, vanilla, Dido, chess.

karlh wrote:
    i've never played a game of chess for money and i do enjoy the game a lot. i'm presuming there will have to be a prize to get most of this shower to show up and cash is all they undestand! :p

we can play for pints if it makes it better.....or a title in the sig. couldn't give a bollo>< myself, think it would be cool either way.

I believe you have offered before...

But what about:

8 people,
    tenner each
    Prize pool:
    3rd place: €10 (entry fee returned)
    2cd place: €20
    1st place: €50

Papa Smut wrote:
    God Iago! Combining chess and poker?! What would a royal flush do!! DeV would be wrecked trying to figure out the math!!

Scary thoughts, but the thing is I'm sure it will be done...

I'll look into a format straight away...:D

LOL

'I will NEVER play you for money' - and here's a prize structure :)

i knew the gamble would get you sooner than later!

sounds sweet.

don't think the chess forum has seen this much action in a year!

ok we have 5, need 3 more....preferably not actual chess players.

i play chess like business league poker. don't want anyone who knows names for moves.

i will be mainly playing Hasselhoff opening #6 though ;)

What happened your sig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭A.S.H.

Ok put me down. although I haven't beaten you in over a year. Papa will we have a heads up after Karl Knocks us out?

:)

AGAIN!?!

Remember there's money in this. We all know karlh can't handle the pressure of a big game! :D

low papa, very low :)

i just turn my sig off every now and then. i just get all Hoffed out once in a while ya know!?

glad yer on board ash.

• Advertisement

No hard feelings meant... Putting you on tilt prior to the gamble :) I have to have some sort of handicap

you do. staredown.jpg
    SUCKA!!!!!

anyways, back on topic......any more takers?

What about tom and Amp? We only need two people?

Papa Smut wrote:
    What about tom and Amp? We only need two people?

Please tell me you don't mean DeV....

He takes 20 minutes to call when he has AA with AA on the flop, I dread to think how long he'll take over his opening move in Chess!! ;)

time limit of 60 seconds per move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

You guys have got to turn off those sigs. A man should not be exposed to this much hasslehoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'll do it. have no chess set or clock though. How does the horsie move again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭A.S.H.

So is this tournament going to happen anytime soon or what?

Advertisement