Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Dimming

Options
  • 13-01-2005 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Just saw this program on BBC2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_prog_summary.shtml

It does look like George Bush may have some justification for welching on the Kyoto accord after all...

The ultimate message of the programme was that we need to not only cut pollution and greenhouse emissions - or we've had :eek: Well in a hundred years or so!

I'm not convinced as I believe we could be teetering on a new ice-age. Ultimately, think know one has all the answers!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

warmer weather means more evaporation, hence more clouds and less light.
    it's one of the reasons why we aren't seeing as much global warming as we might. also when it gets a bit hotter you might get an effect like in the saraha , very hot so even though there is moisture in the air it won't fall. also there is the problem of the amazon scrub , it is getting drier and soon it will be able to burn so that it will become more open and store less water etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

yea that programme scared the sh1t out of me
    something seriously has to be done to ease CO2 emmisions, or we, and our future siblings, are completely fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

What scared me most about the programme that it didn't entertain my doubts - are we definitely NOT heading into new ice age and delaying it by our environmentally unsound practices. E.g. we be good; reduce polution and greenhouse gas emissions and all have to head South for thousands of years :eek:

[EDIT]OK some will have to head North - and a whole bunch of people are going to have to put up with a bunch of white people and find it annoying that they don't find it that cold really :p [EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Fúck me pink.... that program was scary. So basically were pretty much fúcked. Do you think W Bush will reduce green house gases? I doubt it.

Have to say it was very well put together (the program).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

All those Horizon shows are dramatic and eye opening but when
    you watch loads of them you you have a collection of thousands
    of things that might doom the planet. Its interesting but must
    be taken with a large pinch of salt. There are also a hell of
    a lot of more dangerous things that might happen to the planet
    than Global dimming ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All those Horizon shows are dramatic and eye opening but when
    you watch loads of them you you have a collection of thousands
    of things that might doom the planet. Its interesting but must
    be taken with a large pinch of salt. There are also a hell of
    a lot of more dangerous things that might happen to the planet
    than Global dimming ;)

As a person old enough to remember the 80's and the exceptional weather that period had..GD really does worry me..it isnt pop science..its real.. the horizon programmme totally ignored the effects of freshwater (read meltwater) entering the atlantic..and possibly something that really bigtime will delay the profesys of doom ...but was an interesting..if unbalanced (and as usual the end is nigh) show.
    We may have the first ice age thats warm !! ..think about that :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement