Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad Santa

• 06-11-2004 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

i checked out this last thursday in an advanced screening, and i have to say i absolutely loved it!
    its the christmas movie for everybody who hates christmas movies, great performances from its cast(especially from Billy Bob Thornton, who is superb)
    its definately a film that i'd reccomend :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Watched this before last xmas when it didn't have any forseeable future release over here. In my mind there are only 2 comedies worth talking about this year, this one and Shawn of the Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Hell ya. This film rocks. Everyone I know thats seen it loves it. Definatley a must see movie. The only question is:

Is Granny spry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

*cough* shaun *cough*

yeah, i dont know why there was such a huge delay in its release date over here, its been out for months on dvd in the u.s.
    theres an unrated extended version of the film titled 'badder santa' which i really wanna check out :D

herobear wrote:
    *cough* shaun *cough*

yeah, i dont know why there was such a huge delay in its release date over here, its been out for months on dvd in the u.s.
    theres an unrated extended version of the film titled 'badder santa' which i really wanna check out :D

I knew the spelling was wrong when I was typing it but I was too lazy to find out the correct way. It annoyed me as well when I read americans mis-spelling it. :o

I presume the obvious reason it wasn't released was because it's an xmas film and they didn't know last year that it would be such a hit. I've seen both versions. Very little difference. Can't remember them off hand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

omg what a stonking pile of **** tbh.

can't believe i spent $3 renting this on dvd during the summer.

one of the worst films I'd seen in ages.

I *really* tried to like this film, i wanted to from the previews but it was such a disappointment. :(

everyone to their own tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Going into The Grudge yesterday, I passed the queue for Bad Santa. Jesus, there were alot of parents with very young children in the queue.

Do parents not read reviews or ask advice before taking kids to movies? "Bad Santa - hmmm, it has Santa in it, so it must be child-friendly..."

I wonder if any walked out? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

This is the funniest film I've seen in a very long time. Every time I even think of it I start laughing.
    Go see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Have heard so many good reviews about this flick - cant wait to see it!!

Liked Elf last year too - eventhough it was a kids film =)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I work in an office full of decrepit has-beens so, unfortunately, I was forced to listen to Joe Duffy on the radio today.
    Guess what the topic of the day was?? Bad effin Santa!!
    Lots of irrate parents ringing up Unky Joe giving out stink about the movie being extremely inappropriate and complaining about why was it given a 12's cert when it was rated 17's in the US.
    Funnily enough, everywhere that I've seen it advertised in Ireland, it's been rated as 15's.
    I think that in general, people in this country are like bloody sheep. They see the word "Santa" in the title and immediately think it's kid related. For heaven's sake... do people not understand what Certs are for? Do people not understand what they mean?
    I know yer man Kelleher is a bit more liberal than Seamus Smith was with the whole censorship thing, but still... people should open their eyes and use their common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Lots of irrate parents ringing up Unky Joe giving out stink about the movie being extremely inappropriate and complaining about why was it given a 12's cert when it was rated 17's in the US.
    Funnily enough, everywhere that I've seen it advertised in Ireland, it's been rated as 15's.

What a pack of spas. I'm gonna see it again in a few days, I think it might be the funniest film I've ever seen.

"Can I fix you some sandwiches?" :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think that in general, people in this country are like bloody sheep. They see the word "Santa" in the title and immediately think it's kid related. For heaven's sake... do people not understand what Certs are for? Do people not understand what they mean?

Fcuk them if they can't be bothered to read a poxy review of the film. It's not as if its snuck in under the radar.

It bugs me that people still sit around waiting on the state to do their thinking for them. Why not just hook them up to an IV and leave them in a dark room for the rest of their lives, can't be offended then...

Everywhere I've seen it advertised its been given a 15 cert.

I can see where all the kids are going to be on at their parents to let them go see it, I think it should be up to the parents to check the cert before bringing them though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can see where all the kids are going to be on at their parents to let them go see it, I think it should be up to the parents to check the cert before bringing them though.
    They had an interview on RTE News with some biddy in UCI who found the 15PG cert confusing. She rambled about it for a bit and I shook my head in despair - it really, really, isn't that difficult. The 15s in the Cert. alone tells you that there's material that may be unsuitable for young children but these buffons want explicit warnings besides such movies, completely missing the point of classification in the first place....

I think the sooner Kelleher gets his 16s cert. the better, if only so eyes don't get muscle strain from having to roll them so often...

Heard the Duffy show yesterday and they were talking about the film for half the show today as well. You had one lunatic bringing up Mary Whitehouse today and the fact that she was the first one to spot that tv and film were bringing down society.

The main gist of what most of the sane ones were talking about was that the rating is a 15pg. That is, an under-15 can go if accomodated by a person older than 15. Not all parents have the time to review films thoroughly. I haven't seen the ads on tv for Bad Santa but I imagine that they were pretty tame and if a parent managed to read one of the few reviews that were complementary of the film it might sway them to going with their kids.

The censor has a position of responsibility and a lot of people would take account of his guidance as to the suitability of a film for kids. Having seen the film twice now I can't understand why he would say it would be ok for parents to bring their kids. Does anyone here think that the film was suitable for kids under 12? The easy and simple solution to this "controversy" is get rid of the PG. Everybody would be happy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I don't mean to flame you (seriously I'm not complaining to you) here but it's not like kids under 12 are freakin' idiots/little angels. I mean, I woudn't hesitate to let a kid watch Pulp Fiction (for reasons other than the hilarity of the situation).

It's not like we need to protect them from the *puts on granny voice* "Big-Bad-World" with it's f words and raunchy activities.

Come on, it's just a movie. There not going to become murderers. :D

I was forced to listen to Joe Duffy again today... but I exploded and had to turn off the show. Some auld bint who was to quote herself, "pushing 60" was appauled by the movie... Drove me fcuking nutz. People should inform themselves about movies and certs before going to see the damn film!!! :mad:

I don't mean to flame you (seriously I'm not complaining to you) here but it's not like kids under 12 are freakin' idiots/little angels. I mean, I woudn't hesitate to let a kid watch Pulp Fiction (for reasons other than the hilarity of the situation).

It's not like we need to protect them from the *puts on granny voice* "Big-Bad-World" with it's f words and raunchy activities.

Come on, it's just a movie. There not going to become murderers. :D

Flame away! :D I don't mean to come across as "granny"ish. I personally watch all kinds and miss the days when Channel 4 showed a lot more flesh. However, there needs to be some sort of protection for the kids and the censor is there to help out. He is no help if he tells them it's ok to take their kids to a movie where they'll be barraged by questions like "why won't she be able to walk straight for a month?", "why is Santa pissing himself?" and "what did Santa say about Mr.s Claus?".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Raoul Duke wrote:
    I personally watch all kinds and miss the days when Channel 4 showed a lot more flesh.

Yes.. those were good days... you had that little danger triangle in the corner of the screen to let you know if there was any 'good bits' in the dodgy French films they showed....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Ok, First of all this film was brillant, really funny.

While, I would agree with what peope are saying about parents reading reviews. The staff in the cinema should have enough cop on to see someone there with a kid and at least warn the parents that the film isn't suitable.

"You aint gonna sh*t right for a month!!"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

I fail to understand the 15PG cert.
    I went to see The Grudge yesterday (bag of balls...awful stuff) and there was a 6/7 year old in the row in front with her parents.

Wtf?! Just drop the PG part from the cert...
    It's daft.

fitz wrote:
    I went to see The Grudge yesterday (bag of balls...awful stuff) and there was a 6/7 year old in the row in front with her parents.

It's daft.

Yeah - there was loads of 5 and 6 year olds in the showing I was at - most of them walked out after the shaggin the car part =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

fitz wrote:

It's daft.

Agreed. It is misleading to those who, let's face it, will never properly take
    the time to understand what 15PG means. PG gives the impression that it
    *is* suitable for children, even when it isn't.

I'd be in favour of G, PG, 12PG, the upcoming 16 (or alternatively a 14 which might allow for Spiderman/LotR, films which might be a tad too much for a 12PG) with 16 being adhered to strictly, and then the usual 18. 15PG needs to be dumped.

As I mentioned on the another forum on film censorship, there have been instances in the past where some certs were bent (Michael Collins is one example) by the IFCO, but these were well publicised as such exceptions.

I'm not surprised this has happened with Bad Santa - in fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened much sooner. The IFCO have, I think, made a mistake, however well intentioned with their creation of 15PG. They need to bring in a 14 or 16 (or both), dump the 15 and make the limits strict for cinema managers.

Otherwise, we'll just end up with more clueless parents who never want to take responsibility for their own stupid actions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Hilarious film. When the midget insults the security guard (played by bernie mac who cant
    act to save his life by the way) was the highlight of the film. Well worth watching if you
    like your humour a little off the wall.

Finally had a chance to see this movie yesterday. FFS! It wasn't that bad!
    I've actually got no idea why anyone would complain about this movie.
    Get rid of the "PG" bit on the 15PG cert... it's confusing everyone.
    TBH though, there wasn't much in the movie to complain about... or else I've just got a warped sense of humour! hehe! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

this film was stuck in mediocrity.

I'd imagine that the PG in 15pg is to help reduce the responsibility of policing the certs in cinemas, and giving it back to parents. That way there's less arguments between ticketsellers and parents who want to bring their kids into whatever films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 McFairyland

Liked Elf last year too - eventhough it was a kids film =)

Elf rocked. It was a classically funny film. Will Ferrell is a genius with stupid comedy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

does anyone know the difference between Bad Santa and Badder Santa? Watched Badder and thought it was class, really wacky stuff. Wonder what stuff was cut in the 7mins they took off Badder Santa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

badder santa= the directors cut, which contains ALOT more swearing than the original as well as some nudity afaik...from what i've heard badder santa is pretty pointless, when the original is as good as it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

Have to say i was in stitches for the boxing ring scene,couldn't stop laughing.

Advertisement