Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Waterford city board?

Options
  • 01-11-2004 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it's been asked before - should be a sticky!

(given that all of the other cities in the republic are
    represented)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Mike65 asked about this under feedback and it seems to have been
    just pushed aside..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This is a joke. I haven't been on here in a while, because quite frankly there are sites with better Waterford discussion. Still, the more sites the better.

Why can't Mike65 get a firm answer from the powers that be and get this fixed. There is obviously political posturing afoot with every other city in the country having its own board except for Waterford. I suggest that instead of posting here that Waterford people just move to www.upthedeise.com or somewhere else, until this omission is corrected.

I would love to know on what grounds that Waterford has been snubbed, and I am aware that under a prior setup boards.ie listed city boards and there too Waterford was not listed. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it's a conspiracy against the man on the moon (who wants a waterford city board, CLEARLY)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm posting the link for this thread on the other thread here (of course if "The Powers That Be" relent Kilkenny will expect one too!)

Mike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm inclined to grant Kilkenny a forum before Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

You could think of it as contamination containment... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

What about the South West region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coumtay

This is just indicative of the nationwide perception of us though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read lists of Irish cities which do include Waterford. I agree with Merlante that their are better Waterford related sites out there, yet one of the main reasons why I decided to register with Boards.ie was that all my main interests and passions seem to be within these four walls.

Forza Waterford City forum!

ecksor wrote:
    I'm inclined to grant Kilkenny a forum before Waterford.

I have read the thread that Mike65 linked to and it has disgusted me. First that the powers that be would presume to name and give representation to the 'cities' of their choice, and secondly because of the whiney, slack handed riposte from the Waterford types.

The facts are as follows:

The five cities of the republic are:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/government_in_ireland/government_and_politics_at_local_level/local_authorities.html?PHPSESSID=15086a87ba66f1845babf92ea25839f5
    as designated in the local government act 2001, here:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA37Y2001.html

Since there are only five cities in Ireland, each of them is considered a 'major' city. The use of the term 'major' city has come in to common usage so the media do not have to refer to towns such as Kilkenny and Sligo, who aspire to have a City Council, when they are referring to actual cities. (I will not argue about city status; suffice it to say that the Local Government Acts down through the years supercede all charters and claims concerning cathedrals, etc.)

Just to illustrate, here are the populations of the 'major' cities of Ireland (CSO, Census 2002):
    http://www.cso.ie/census/pdfs/vol1_entire.pdf (p.114)
    (populations include immediate suburbs)

1. Dublin* 1,004,614
    2. Cork* 186,239
    3. Limerick* 86,998
    4. Galway* 66,163
    5. Waterford* 46,736
    (11. Kilkenny 20,735)

* = City Council exists.

Although the Queen, in her jubilee year, has created a raft of cities in the north, it is fair to say that there are definitely only two 'major' cities:

Belfast 300,000 (approx.)
    (London)Derry 85,000 (approx.)
    (insert political appelation above!)

The city boards, therefore, must be as follows:
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Cork
    Limerick
    Derry
    Galway
    Waterford
    (although the newly created cities in the north, such as Newry, may be included they can be relatively small, and are not as significant)

If you are going to build a road, an airport or create a bulletin board, the only statistic that matters is the population of the target area. Clearly Waterford is a city and it's population is easily enough to secure a bulletin board on this site. As to creating a Kilkenny board first, that is ridiculous, unless you can prove that somehow kilkenny people post more and more interesting stuff - and lets not go down that farcical route!

It is quite simple, there are Waterford sites out there, that is where Waterford people will post when they are not looked after here. And thus to compare levels of posting on the Galway board, a city which boards.ie does support, and the Waterford segment of the south east board, which represents a city boards.ie does not support, is completely ridiculous. Build it and they will come.

As to the misguided Waterford people who are propping up this board; your whining makes me sick. When you are being shafted, make yourselves heard; I suggest that all Waterford people cease posting on this board until this situation has been rectified.

Sorry, that was just too long and whiney for me to read properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

merlante wrote:

That first link says that the five city councils are Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford. Not the same thing. Some cities don't have councils. Some counties have more than one council. One doesn't equal the other.

Perhaps other facts are incorrect, I don't have time to check them all. The persecution of Waterfordians (?) continues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

merlante wrote:
    This is a joke. I haven't been on here in a while, because quite frankly there are sites with better Waterford discussion. Still, the more sites the better.

Why can't Mike65 get a firm answer from the powers that be and get this fixed. There is obviously political posturing afoot with every other city in the country having its own board except for Waterford. I suggest that instead of posting here that Waterford people just move to www.upthedeise.com or somewhere else, until this omission is corrected.

I would love to know on what grounds that Waterford has been snubbed, and I am aware that under a prior setup boards.ie listed city boards and there too Waterford was not listed. :mad:

Will check out www.upthedeisce.com - thanks for the link :D

climaxer wrote:
    :(

We're just being mean. We will create a Waterford City forum, eventually. In time for the 850th birthday hopefully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cities_in_Ireland

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Cities_in_Ireland

climaxer wrote:
    Will check out www.upthedeisce.com - thanks for the link :D

It's upthedeise.com - get it right!

Cloud wrote:
    It's upthedeise.com - get it right!

Does it really bother you. My anger made me type it wrong :mad:

UP THE Déise

Cloud wrote:
    That first link says that the five city councils are Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford. Not the same thing. Some cities don't have councils. Some counties have more than one council. One doesn't equal the other.

Perhaps other facts are incorrect, I don't have time to check them all. The persecution of Waterfordians (?) continues...

That is why I posted the second link:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA37Y2001.html

All cities in the Republic of Ireland have corresponding City Councils.

City Councils are considered equivalent to County Councils. For example, technically Waterford City and Waterford County are considered separate counties. Similarly in Dublin, there are four counties: Dublin City, Fingal, South Dublin and Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown. No such division is made in Kilkenny or Sligo where Borough councils are subservient to the local county council.

And even if you read the above document and somehow come to a different conclusion, you will agree that the cities with city councils correspond to the five largest urban centres in the country, and therefore the 5 major cities of Ireland.

Either way, I am not hearing any arguments against adding a Waterford City board to the list.

There are no arguments against, we're just dragging our heels like a pestered mother.

Cloud wrote:
    We're just being mean. We will create a Waterford City forum, eventually. In time for the 850th birthday hopefully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cities_in_Ireland

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Cities_in_Ireland

Actually those dates are a little misleading. They correspond to the dates that the english either took or founded the cities. In the case of Dublin and Waterford, this was in 1171 when Henry II came and annexed the two after Strongbow took them the year before.

Waterford was built by the vikings when they returned to Ireland in 915, so we had our cheerful millenium during WW1. :)
    (otherwise there would have been commemorative coins ;) )

We also just found this other city just a bit up river which is even older; though vikings no longer live there... :)

• Advertisement

Cloud wrote:
    There are no arguments against, we're just dragging our heels like a pestered mother.

I suppose it would require a major overhaul of the site, requiring significant downtime. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

As a boards.ie admin who spent a lot of time in waterford, I insist we have a waterford (county) forum!

Regi wrote:
    As a boards.ie admin who spent a lot of time in waterford, I insist we have a waterford (county) forum!

:D Thanks Regi.

At last, someone with a valid reason for having a waterford forum. I still think we should leave it a while for the reasons that Cloud mentioned though.

ecksor wrote:
    At last, someone with a valid reason for having a waterford forum. I still think we should leave it a while for the reasons that Cloud mentioned though.

?? reasons

What reasons were given for the given for setting up the Galway or Limerick boards?

I would have thought you would just cover the entire country rather discriminate on an arbitrary basis.

And what reasons are "we" "leaving it a while" for? Didn't catch any of those reasons, at least any serious ones? Lads if you're seriously not going to create a Waterford board I think that's pretty bad form. You are just turning people away, and they will post elsewhere.

merlante wrote:
    ?? reasons

What reasons were given for the given for setting up the Galway or Limerick boards?

I would have thought you would just cover the entire country rather discriminate on an arbitrary basis.

And what reasons are "we" "leaving it a while" for? Didn't catch any of those reasons, at least any serious ones? Lads if you're seriously not going to create a Waterford board I think that's pretty bad form. You are just turning people away, and they will post elsewhere.

I believe the reason is just because they can and for some reason have something against Waterford.

riesen.jpg

ecksor wrote:
    riesen.jpg

Bet you can't put one of them in your mouth without chewing !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

climaxer wrote:
    Bet you can't put one of them in your mouth without chewing !

Said the bishop to the mother superior :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

merlante wrote:
    When you are being shafted, make yourselves heard; I suggest that all Waterford people cease posting on this board until this situation has been rectified.

Well I for one shall be demanding my money back AND I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to the editor of the Times.

Advertisement