Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cafes in Galway?

• 14-10-2004 4:53pm

Anyone know of any good cafes in Galway. Somewhere you can go for a quiet talk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Java's ain't that bad ...

Kirwan's Lane .. as in ... Buskers . down the side .. is nice enough assuming its not jammed .... depends on the time of day ?

Roisin's is nice for a coffee as well but limited in what they do .. but during the winter its nice in front of the fire ...

depends. . I'd tend to head more to a pub a lot of the time .. than an actual coffee place ... still Java's opposite cp's is pretty ok during the day

edit: also banapublucht ?? spelling .. down domnicks street .. just past the bridge mills ... is nice enough haven't been in there in a few years though...

Thanks for suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Café du Journal, Quay St.

Small, so look out for it.

Nice enough, café prices.

mocha ... on ... er is that still shop street ... damn pricey in my esteem though but they've got a nice set of buns in there :D

just for your hit and run coffee ... insomnia ain't too bad in Hugh's and Hugh's in Tesco's shopping center <-- yes I know its galway shopping center but dammit .. its tesco's and always will be to me ... only problem .. the ex works there .. :( they've got really nice baileys coffee's .. think they are pricey enough as well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I know I sound like I'm working for them, but the King's Head is good for sitting down for the day. The coffee's not great, but you get free refills. The tea (also free refills) and food are spot on though, although the food's a bit pricey. And the only time you get many people upstairs is when there's a match on, so it's lovely and quiet most of the time. Just you, your friends, and the barman occasionally asking if you want a coffee top-up. And usually myself and a small group playing cards...

• Advertisement

Where about is the Kings Head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zoso

More or less at the point where Shop Street, High Street and Mainguard Street meet. Or .. go down Shop Street until you see Blacoe Jewellers in front of you - Kings head should be opposite it on your left.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Definitely Javas or Bananaphoblacht.

Otherwise you're talking about some Starbucks clone with 7 euro sandwiches, Norah Jones on the stereo and a clientele consisting of women who drive 4x4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Javas is indeed great.

fidel wrote:
    Living room during the day or Bon Appetito on Abbeygate street

But the wallpaper! My God man, the wallpaper! It's a horrifying rainbow of pain!

• Advertisement

what the hell have I been saying .. just head to neachtains ... nice for a quiet one ... coffee's ... er ... coffee ... not that bad .. nice atmosphere ...

neachtains is the pub at the end of high street ? start of quay street :) good for a guinneess god for the ... quiet reflective person too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Aye error9, the coffee in there is not bad at all, probably one of my absolute favorite pubs. Great guinness, and great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Try Scribblers on middle street, slightly pricey but not too bad. It's a nice place when their downstairs section is open, they've got a couch to sit on down there.

Try An Tobar Nua too at the end of Dominick St. too if you can avoid the hardcore christian impose-our-beliefs-on-you shíte. It's a nice place with very cheap prices.

King's head have nice cheap hot choc and is fairly empty on Sundays.

Lynch's on Shop st. has nice inexpensive food but is awfully noisy and busy and some of the staff are arsholes. Also try Roscoe's beside Eddie Rockets on Eglington St. and Rascals (quiet, delicious, nice atmosphere) which is a bit of a walk out to Terryland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

grasshopa wrote:
    Try An Tobar Nua too at the end of Dominick St. too if you can avoid the hardcore christian impose-our-beliefs-on-you shíte. It's a nice place with very cheap prices.
    I've always wanted to go in there dressed in a full on Satan costume and just sit, drinking a coffee and reading the paper...

Ooh, then SyxPak could arrive in priestly garb and exorcise you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tonybrasco

Javas or Bananaphoblacht are ok but a bit menky.
    I prefer ArdBia on top of quay street (upstairs from Neachtain's)
    It is quite nice up there, especially in the morning before it gets busy, when the sun shines through the place. They always have great artwork on the walls and also organise art events sometimes on the weekends through ENSO (performances and gigs). The restaurant (open at night) is horribly expensive though.

Neachtain's (note for visitors : to be pronounced "Noctans") on quay street is also nice and quiet during the day for a cup of tea, an early pint or a hot port.

If you like fireplaces, the Roisin Dubh is definitely the place to go during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Bananaphoblacht for great Australian style hot chocolate or mocha and the greatest cream cheese bagels on the planet. It's open late too.

Javas for late night coffee while looking out at the drunken CP-bound fools.

Scribblers is fine too but the opening hours are too short/inconsistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tonybrasco

Javas or Bananaphoblacht are ok but a bit menky.
    I prefer ArdBia on top of quay street (upstairs from Neachtain's)
    It is quite nice up there, especially in the morning before it gets busy, when the sun shines through the place. They always have great artwork on the walls and also organise art events sometimes on the weekends through ENSO (performances and gigs). The restaurant (open at night) is horribly expensive though.

Neachtain's (note for visitors : to be pronounced "Noctans") on quay street is also nice and quiet during the day for a cup of tea, an early pint or a hot port.

If you like fireplaces, the Roisin Dubh is definitely the place to go during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Has anyone ever been in Augi café? I pass it most days but it looks a bit drab...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Augi cafe r0x .. the dude who owns is kEwL :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

the guy who runs is càlled Conal and if you go in often enoug he gives you "regular prices" i.e. can and panini for €5...nice place and friendly staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The are 2 places in Galway that do drinkable coffee.

1. Arabica. There is one on Merchants Road, one in Salthill and one in Barna.

2. Barbarista. This is in the Wellpark business centre, right beside Maplins, and accross the road from the Huntsman.

Everywhere else is pretty Poo these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Java's is a skanky manky hole!!! I coulnt't bring myself to eat anything from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Mmmm, Banan Phoblacht is great. They do loads of different kinds of coffees and teas, the food is lovely, and where else would give you melted chocolate in a cup without batting an eyelid. Also, they don't hassle you if you stay for 6 hours, which is nice.

They also serve us fantasy/scifi gamer types without all that "Hey Marcia! Come and see the Satanists!" bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Banapoblacht is supposedly an Irish language café, but when I went in there the woman behind the counter couldn't speak Irish. Also, their interior design leaves a lot to be desired.

I like the Living Room, their garlic bread is very cheap, but it isn't exactly quiet. But they do have possibly have the nicest cappuccino in Galway, at a very reasonable price (€1.85).

As for Lynch's, their staff are a lot friendlier than one or two of the waitresses in Ríordan's in Quay Street, which has lovely breakfasts all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Rredwell wrote:
    Banapoblacht is supposedly an Irish language café, but when I went in there the woman behind the counter couldn't speak Irish. Also, their interior design leaves a lot to be desired.

I like the Living Room, their garlic bread is very cheap, but it isn't exactly quiet. But they do have possibly have the nicest cappuccino in Galway, at a very reasonable price (€1.85).

As for Lynch's, their staff are a lot friendlier than one or two of the waitresses in Ríordan's in Quay Street, which has lovely breakfasts all day long.
    You object to the décor in BP, yet you like The Living Room?! :confused: You have strange eyes my dear. I like BP, it's bright and chereful and you never know if there's going to be records or cactii or something else odd on the walls.

Rredwell wrote:
    Banapoblacht is supposedly an Irish language café, but when I went in there the woman behind the counter couldn't speak Irish.
    Not entirely surprising considering that Irish people generally won't work in café's.
    fozzle wrote:
    and you never know if there's going to be records or cactii or something else odd on the walls.
    Mmmm ... yellow ducks ;)

where exactly is Augi café ? :) ... when's it close ... need someplace to go tonight and don't want to do to a pub .. *slaps self* .. thats better :)

• Advertisement

I think the Augi café is the small one on Augustine street just up from the library on the opposite side. I could be miles out though.

Advertisement